+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We were too slow - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Mick he is entitled to an opinion and can post on here the same as anyone else. It is down to Chris and I to decide if the post is out of line.

A figure of 66,000 UK deaths was quoted, but i believe that was before the lockdown and social distancing. I believe it has been reviewed and a lower figure has now been accepted. But still with a worst case scenario of 20,000 - 30,000 deaths. The over the top Daily Express and Sun were saying 200,000 deaths.
    There are signs that the virus is slowing and levelling out but we still haven't peaked yet.
    Last i saw was there were less people being admitted to hospital, and this is what the lockdown is about, to take pressure off the NHS.
    But the death toll will continue to rise for a couple of weeks at least.
    In Italy and Spain it is falling and some restrictions are being lifted. We are a couple of weeks behind them and yes our total deaths could well top theirs.
    But the problem is what to do when the virus starts to decline. If we lift restrictions then surely it will start to accelerate again?
    They are talking about developing an anti virus, but that may not be ready for 18 months. Is there really such a thing anyway since viruses have no cure.
    The original plan was to let the virus sweep through the country while protecting the elderly and people who have underlying health issues,since the virus only has a mild effect on the majority of people.
    I would certainly have closed down schools much earlier though, as kids spread infections more than anyone.

On a brighter note it was good to see Boris on the mend and looking more like himself.
    You’re quick to pick me up Des.

You ought to try it a bit more when others really step out of line.

Don’t run different sets of rules!

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I actually thought this was interesting. Because you forget the chronology of the events that have happened.

So that means we are not supposed to ask questions, this government have complete impunity and are not to be scrutinised now. Are you kidding me.

Either way, I probably will stop posting on here. Its boring when you don't have everyone else's agenda or belief.

If I'm a left wing zealot then you and most on here are right wing morons.

Happy Easter...
    Pathetic response.

So unfortunate that the original poster used quotes from The Guardian to make his point. To me, the only good thing about The Guardian would be if we ran out of loo roll.

What really pees me off is the fact that you and Chris “banned” political threads two months ago Des......suddenly they all disappeared.

I strongly disagreed with this stance but accepted it.

This boring c nut 123 offers virtually nothing to any topic on here yet starts a blatantly political thread and I get called out for telling him to bore off!

Unbelievably ironic.

If you’re going to set rules then stick to them rather than being so selective.

I like you Des and I’ve always got on with you in person and it was me that recommended you and Chris to be moderators but sometimes you do p I s s me off.

The problem with politics today is one of tribalism, ever since the referendum in 2016 the mainstream and social media has largely gone down the binary route of nailing colours to the mast creating toxic division. Governments around the world make mistakes and the smug hindsight experts seem to take great pleasure in pointing them out.

It's now apparent in this case that the world was woefully unprepared for this pandemic, the WHO themselves stated the virus didn't transmit from human to human. Today there are countries in Europe already partially relaxing their lockdown measures and I am really pleased to see that we are not yet doing so, where are these hindsight experts here?

We made 2 mistakes in the UK - failure to intensively trace contacts and failure to test across the nation to understand & lockdown the hotspots sooner.

Mick we banned discussions about politics simply for the reason that posters fall out, you and 123 are now proving we were correct in doing so. But i have let this rule go for the duration of the crisis because there is no football to talk about and it is something that affects us all. Soon as it is over politics will be banned again, or if people can discuss them like adults I may consider leaving a single thread for them. I know people are worried and feelings are running high but if you don't agree with a post then say so in an intellectual way and not tell people that you don't know to fck off.
    I don't agree with a lot of stuff people post on here but I don't get personal with them. I don't want anyone to leave the board because it's good we all keep in contact during this difficult people.
    I think me and Chris are very fair and leave a lot of stuff go, only when people come on here purely to upset others like Bogbrush and the Wulf who's username I have forgotten do we take action.
    I used to agree with much of what Bogbrush said, but frankly he was a pain in the arse.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    The problem with politics today is one of tribalism, ever since the referendum in 2016 the mainstream and social media has largely gone down the binary route of nailing colours to the mast creating toxic division. Governments around the world make mistakes and the smug hindsight experts seem to take great pleasure in pointing them out.

It's now apparent in this case that the world was woefully unprepared for this pandemic, the WHO themselves stated the virus didn't transmit from human to human. Today there are countries in Europe already partially relaxing their lockdown measures and I am really pleased to see that we are not yet doing so, where are these hindsight experts here?

We made 2 mistakes in the UK - failure to intensively trace contacts and failure to test across the nation to understand & lockdown the hotspots sooner.
    Germany is a far as I know the only European country that has been able to test in large numbers. This is because their pharmaceutical industry was so strong pre the virus they had the chemicals necessary to test in volume.

Is that so WCV?

The countries that have been able to trace are those where govt have much more control over their people than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Mick we banned discussions about politics simply for the reason that posters fall out, you and 123 are now proving we were correct in doing so. But i have let this rule go for the duration of the crisis because there is no football to talk about and it is something that affects us all. Soon as it is over politics will be banned again, or if people can discuss them like adults I may consider leaving a single thread for them. I know people are worried and feelings are running high but if you don't agree with a post then say so in an intellectual way and not tell people that you don't know to fck off.
    I don't agree with a lot of stuff people post on here but I don't get personal with them. I don't want anyone to leave the board because it's good we all keep in contact during this difficult people.
    I think me and Chris are very fair and leave a lot of stuff go, only when people come on here purely to upset others like Bogbrush and the Wulf who's username I have forgotten do we take action.
    I used to agree with much of what Bogbrush said, but frankly he was a pain in the arse.
    I don't think anyone who is left on here can be upset enough by anything posted to want to leave,

The only poster that hasn't upset me at some time is boinggazic.
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 14-04-2020 at 01:16 PM.

"Germany is a far as I know the only European country that has been able to test in large numbers. This is because their pharmaceutical industry was so strong pre the virus they had the chemicals necessary to test in volume."

If that's true of their pharmaceutical industry 923 then that's the first I've heard of it - I'd suggest that whatever the manufacturing process is and raw materials required we would have the same capability. The german strategy of contact tracing looks to have worked for them in reducing deaths so far.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    "Germany is a far as I know the only European country that has been able to test in large numbers. This is because their pharmaceutical industry was so strong pre the virus they had the chemicals necessary to test in volume."

If that's true of their pharmaceutical industry 923 then that's the first I've heard of it - I'd suggest that whatever the manufacturing process is and raw materials required we would have the same capability. The german strategy of contact tracing looks to have worked for them in reducing deaths so far.
    Unlike the German’s to excel at saving lives.

Not so long ago the old,the infirm and the unfortunate would’ve been extinguished en mass.

How ironic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)