+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Restart

All this brings me back to my opening post, restart this season WHEN it is safe to do so, whenever that will be, and the season after will just have to follow on when this one has been completed, there is nothing to play for next season as it hasn't even started, there are many issues still to be decided with this one. It could be months before it's even possible to do this. Health and safety must come first...for everyone.

I understand the instinct to try and apply a 'stay locked down until it's safe to go back to normal' approach, it's any normal person's natural instinct, no-one wants to see someone who would otherwise have been alive a month from now dead due to coronavirus. However, there is a principle called the 'principle of utility' and that is an acceptance that in all societies / ways of life, there have to be trade-offs. The most obvious example is driving - if a blanket 30 mph speed limit was enforced everywhere, and cars were all fitted with speed limiters, the number of fatalities on our roads would be drastically reduced, but we don't do that because we consider that too draconian, and instead accept that by not doing that more people are going to die. Smoking and drinking are another two obvious examples - how many do they both kill prematurely every year globally - I don't know the exact figures but I wouldn't be surprised if more people die annually due to those two than will die due to coronavirus, but we accept the 'collateral damage' that allowing people to indulge these two habits causes.

There are certainly things that need to be done - much wider testing, much more effective deployment of protective equipment across all sectors that would need them, so not just NHS but all care facilities, and other people working in social situations e.g. public transport, shops etc. But ultimately for anything else we're going to have to apply that 'principle of utility' if we want those things to continue in a form close to what they are now - coronavirus is likely to be a threat for at least 18 months, and potentially permanently, so if you want to continue to do anything that involves close proximity to others for entertainment, then I think we're just going to have to 'accept the risks and get on with it' at some point in the next few months, because the risk isn't going to go away anytime soon.

I've just done a quick google for reference, all these are WHO estimates:
    Global premature deaths due to smoking: 7 million; and 2nd hand smoking: 1 million
    Global premature deaths due to alcohol: 3 million
    Global premature deaths due to air pollution: 7 million.
    These are all premature deaths, and taken together knock an estimated 3 years off the life expectancy of every single one of us. Coronavirus will get nowhere near these totals, but we accept all these 18 million premature deaths as just 'part of our way of life'.

Quote Originally Posted by OldWhiteTaff View Post
    I understand the instinct to try and apply a 'stay locked down until it's safe to go back to normal' approach, it's any normal person's natural instinct, no-one wants to see someone who would otherwise have been alive a month from now dead due to coronavirus. However, there is a principle called the 'principle of utility' and that is an acceptance that in all societies / ways of life, there have to be trade-offs. The most obvious example is driving - if a blanket 30 mph speed limit was enforced everywhere, and cars were all fitted with speed limiters, the number of fatalities on our roads would be drastically reduced, but we don't do that because we consider that too draconian, and instead accept that by not doing that more people are going to die. Smoking and drinking are another two obvious examples - how many do they both kill prematurely every year globally - I don't know the exact figures but I wouldn't be surprised if more people die annually due to those two than will die due to coronavirus, but we accept the 'collateral damage' that allowing people to indulge these two habits causes.

There are certainly things that need to be done - much wider testing, much more effective deployment of protective equipment across all sectors that would need them, so not just NHS but all care facilities, and other people working in social situations e.g. public transport, shops etc. But ultimately for anything else we're going to have to apply that 'principle of utility' if we want those things to continue in a form close to what they are now - coronavirus is likely to be a threat for at least 18 months, and potentially permanently, so if you want to continue to do anything that involves close proximity to others for entertainment, then I think we're just going to have to 'accept the risks and get on with it' at some point in the next few months, because the risk isn't going to go away anytime soon.
    100% spot on, and just what I was triyng to say, but you put it better by far

People need to understand that no one has found a cure for the common cold let alone terrible diseases like cancer. We also need to understand how humanity can be cruel and how easy it is to make something out of nothing.
    Corporations, politicians are running the world we are just pawns in it.
    This virus is here now and will never go away, just look around your house and you will see most things are made in china or Chinese owned provinces eg Taiwan.
    They say we need to practice hygiene what a joke is that, should we not have been doing that every day anyway.
    We as pawns one day will wake up but by than it will be too late and chaos will be everywhere.
    I'm not worried about me and my generation but the future ones who are going to suffer from our mistakes.

There you go people they have released a second wave of the virus.
    And the lies will continue about the death toll so on.
    What a world we live in isn't it amazing.
    Kiss the restart goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    There you go people they have released a second wave of the virus.
    And the lies will continue about the death toll so on.
    What a world we live in isn't it amazing.
    Kiss the restart goodbye.
    Do you know summat we don't oz lad?

Not heard anything about a 'second wave' of the virus.

The chiinese have been spreading false reports all over the place. They have spend millions advertising on facebook spreading there lies.

Nothing would surprise me oz..they are lying their bollox off regarding the death toll in china.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)