+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is ready for the top flight?

Who is ready for the top flight?

A bit of an opinion Thread. What players in the current squad are you confident can deliver for us in the Premiership? I'll start:
    -------------------
    Siegrist: had a great season and looks to be progressing. Just needs to save a pen to get thay monkey off his back.

Smith: maybe suspect defensively one or two times last season but effective enough for me to feel confident he will be a good RB for us up there.

Connolly: prone to an error maybe once in a while but solid and dependable and more comfortable on the ball than most give him credit for imo

Robson: still developing but showed against Hibs he can handle it. Needs to improve his crossing.

Butcher: no brainer. Played there before. More experienced now and an integral part of the team.

Powers: mainly down to his experience/age. His confidence on the ball may come in handy at tough away grounds. Cant see him starting every week though as him and Butcher not required against smaller teams at home.

Clark: clever enough player to make an impact when he finally gets his chance at the top level

Shankland: obviously

Appere: physically and ability-wise I think he'll have another good season up there. Might not start week-in-week-out depending on the signings we make but 20 starts at least for me.
    ------------------

Jury is out on the rest of the squad. Young players like Freeman, Glass, Mochrie, Neilson, Graham, Davidson may get a chance now and again but wont be expected to deliver consistently.

Reynolds reliable enough as backup imo but not a regular starter. Same goes for Deniz and Pawlett.

Harkes, McMullan, Sporle, Chalmers have to continue to improve and prove they have what it takes to be Prem players. King may struggle to be part of the plans at all.

Siegrist, Butcher, Shankland, Appere

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Siegrist, Butcher, Shankland, Appere
    Then we are in deep trouble

powers and harkes will be fine and smith and robson will be given their chance but then we are down to squad players really. Could be a tough season.

If Connolly/ Reynolds is our central defence next season (example Easter Road last season) that we are going to ship a lot of goals.

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    If Connolly/ Reynolds is our central defence next season (example Easter Road last season) that we are going to ship a lot of goals.
    Watson can steady the ship...………… Oh hud on

McMullan, Shankland, Butcher, Appere.

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    Letting Watson go made it clear we were looking to strengthen in that area. Neilson also mentioned it on the Arabzone interview that he was looking for defensive cover.

Alex Gogic just left Hamilton. Peter Hartley just left Motherwell. Theres 2 players straight away that could improve the back line. Hartley more of an experienced head but Gogic just turned 26 and was a standout for Hamilton during his time there.

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    Letting Watson go made it clear we were looking to strengthen in that area. Neilson also mentioned it on the Arabzone interview that he was looking for defensive cover.

Alex Gogic just left Hamilton. Peter Hartley just left Motherwell. Theres 2 players straight away that could improve the back line. Hartley more of an experienced head but Gogic just turned 26 and was a standout for Hamilton during his time there.
    Agree that we need to strengthen in defence , but Watson would have been the last CB I would have let go. Never outstanding, but when he played the results were good. Coincidence maybe, not so sure. Being honest, I don't think we have a centre half that can handle the SPL. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    Agree that we need to strengthen in defence , but Watson would have been the last CB I would have let go. Never outstanding, but when he played the results were good. Coincidence maybe, not so sure. Being honest, I don't think we have a centre half that can handle the SPL. Happy to be proved wrong though.
    Watson left because connolly and reynolds have longer contracts. Simple as that.

Connolly and Reynolds have proved they can handle the Premiership to be fair. Connolly was a standout and captain of Killie. He'll be fine. Reynolds is getting on a bit now but will be able to play a part. I do hope we see 2 at least 1 new CB though as a minimum.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)