+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keir starmer

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I guess you just prefer the Eton educated millionaires instead..
    the Labour Party wasn’t built by millionaires,but by the working classes this is were we should be heading back to.

[QUOTE=WBA1955;39477823]With the majority the Conservative government has Labour won't overturn it in the next election. Boris will have to do something really unpopular to lose it.

History shows that in the 1945 election, just less than 2 months after the conclusion of WW2 in Europe the Labour Party won a landslide general election, with a gain of 242 seats, going from 151 seats to 393. Since the previous election Churchill hardly had a bad record As leader of the country and was at the peak of his popularity immediately at the end of the war.

No such thing as a one sided election or too big a majority.

Not saying that Labour will win the next election as lots of things will happen before then but those who think it is impossible for them to do so need to have a bit of a rethink. Public opinion of our leaders is very critical whoever they may be.

Anything can happen, once you have a person at the top who at least can appeal to the electorate. For the ageist ones amongst us, I think he is also only a year older than Boris anyway and he certainly doesn’t look it.

[QUOTE=Yarmbaggie;39478160]
    Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    With the majority the Conservative government has Labour won't overturn it in the next election. Boris will have to do something really unpopular to lose it.

History shows that in the 1945 election, just less than 2 months after the conclusion of WW2 in Europe the Labour Party won a landslide general election, with a gain of 242 seats, going from 151 seats to 393. Since the previous election Churchill hardly had a bad record As leader of the country and was at the peak of his popularity immediately at the end of the war.

No such thing as a one sided election or too big a majority.

Not saying that Labour will win the next election as lots of things will happen before then but those who think it is impossible for them to do so need to have a bit of a rethink. Public opinion of our leaders is very critical whoever they may be.

Anything can happen, once you have a person at the top who at least can appeal to the electorate. For the ageist ones amongst us, I think he is also only a year older than Boris anyway and he certainly doesn’t look it.
    Very different circumstances though.

Although “Winnie” lead us to victory I’m sure he was seen as a figurehead for a coalition government rather than it being the Tory’s leading the country to victory.

If Starmer leads Labour to victory at the next election I’ll parade in front of the Brummie Road naked with sun glasses perched on my Todger while it does a Groucho Marks impression😎

Yeah you have nailed it Mick. Churchill was the man for the job when we were at war, he wasn't that well liked not even by his peers, but he was the right man for the job. But people were sick of six years of war and wanted a peace time leader who could help rebuild the country.
    Boris is different, he has endeared himself to a lot of people who weren't Conservative voters. He is very well liked by the majority of the country and he will have to do some bad things to lose the peoples trust and support.

Yeah you have nailed it Mick. Churchill was the man for the job when we were at war, he wasn't that well liked not even by his peers, but he was the right man for the job. But people were sick of six years of war and wanted a peace time leader who could help rebuild the country.
    Boris is different, he has endeared himself to a lot of people who weren't Conservative voters. He is very well liked by the majority of the country and he will have to do some bad things to lose the peoples trust and support.
    I also think that this present situation with the virus and the NHS is going to frame our politics for the next hundred years.

They reckon that as many as 50% of children who have been born during the 21st century will live to be 100 years old or more.......it will stay with many of 4 years plus for the whole of their lives,the memory of this time in our history.

My granddaughter is 3 1/2 and she’s very aware of “the bug” and distancing etc.

The other day she was in the car on the way to the shops and said to my daughter,

“Mummy......is Boris on everyone’s TV every night talking about this bug”

“Yes,why? Replied my daughter.

“I just wondered because there are so many people walking about that they are clearly not listening to him!” 😆😆😆😆😆

The party in power now has the opportunity to seal the deal with the public for a generation or more by investing hugely in it and in the sciences that back it up like they do in Germany.

People miss understand Boris and think he’s a Right Wing toff when he’s actually at least as Left Wing as Tony Blair.

He is Centre Left person with a very socially Liberal attitude and actually sits in the ground Labour should’ve been making their own.

I think 10-15 years from now our NHS will be a world leader in standards as will our science sector.

I have always considered myself middle of the road. All I wanted was to see someone who treated all people fairly.
    I have always thought that the harder you studied and the more important your job then that should be reflected in your salary, but i always believed in a living wage not a minimum wage.
    Over the years we have watched NHS workers have little or no pay rises year after year. The NHS itself was grossly underfunded. We were told it was Austerity and yet MP's still managed to award themselves a 13% pay rise. It was a p1$$ take.
    Once in a while something comes along that changes how we live and behave forever. WW1 was one such event, i think that this will be another.

Like many others on here, I was brought up on a council estate. We always voted for Labour because they represented the working class in the country. Unfortunately, the party has lurched so far to the left that the Tories are mopping up the working class votes and the only section of people the Labour Party seems to represent is the non working class.

I have always considered myself middle of the road. All I wanted was to see someone who treated all people fairly.
    I have always thought that the harder you studied and the more important your job then that should be reflected in your salary, but i always believed in a living wage not a minimum wage.
    Over the years we have watched NHS workers have little or no pay rises year after year. The NHS itself was grossly underfunded. We were told it was Austerity and yet MP's still managed to award themselves a 13% pay rise. It was a p1$$ take.
    Once in a while something comes along that changes how we live and behave forever. WW1 was one such event, i think that this will be another.
    Love Tip's comment about Labour and the non working class.

When this over then things will have to change and the NHS is going to have be better funded. What do we spend the extra money on?

More pay for NHS and Care Workers?

More NHS workers doctors nurses?

More and better equipment?

All three would be nice be but we will be doing this whilst we are skint!

Sacrifices will have to be made. What we need is an honest and open debate around this so WE can make informed decisions about the future Society we want.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    Like many others on here, I was brought up on a council estate. We always voted for Labour because they represented the working class in the country. Unfortunately, the party has lurched so far to the left that the Tories are mopping up the working class votes and the only section of people the Labour Party seems to represent is the non working class.
    couldn’t agree more tip well said,it’s a pity some certain K,nobenders on here feel very different.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Love Tip's comment about Labour and the non working class.

When this over then things will have to change and the NHS is going to have be better funded. What do we spend the extra money on?

More pay for NHS and Care Workers?

More NHS workers doctors nurses?

More and better equipment?

All three would be nice be but we will be doing this whilst we are skint!

Sacrifices will have to be made. What we need is an honest and open debate around this so WE can make informed decisions about the future Society we want.
    If you read my piece again you’ll see that I cover this part about funding.

In reality we are not going to be “skint” when this is all over,countries always carry debt such as we did after both World Wars.

How you manage things is a political choice and the Cameron/Osborne type austerity won’t wash this time around.

Short term unemployment will soon evaporate I’m pretty sure and I don’t think anyone will balk at the increased tax to be paid especially if it’s a specially ring fenced “NHS Tax”.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)