+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Season over?

I think all the season ticket holders of the top 3 clubs should be given a vote on who they thought would have gone up. Seems the fairest way to me.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I think all the season ticket holders of the top 3 clubs should be given a vote on who they thought would have gone up. Seems the fairest way to me.
    Excellent idea!

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Excellent idea!
    Still no decision

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52316971

What im not understanding is if the season is void then what happens?

Hear me out the virus isnt going away overnight so the clubs are making no money now and by August they still wont be making any money as games arent being played not with fans anyway.

League one and below will almost certainly need financial help as not a chance can clubs play without fans at this level not for that length of time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    What im not understanding is if the season is void then what happens?

Hear me out the virus isnt going away overnight so the clubs are making no money now and by August they still wont be making any money as games arent being played not with fans anyway.

League one and below will almost certainly need financial help as not a chance can clubs play without fans at this level not for that length of time anyway.
    Yes, it's mostly unknowns we're dealing with - but it's unlikely there'll fans sitting in the Pavis and the Kop any time soon.

From that BBC piece, the smart clubs are those saying we don't have the info to make a decision (Barrow, Harrogate and the 8 clubs above the relegation zone will be the ones wanting to cancel now).

English football is a pyramid system, and I don't think it goes from the bottom up, so the National League needs to chill its heels and see what the EFL does first.

I really want this season to be honoured by finishing the competition whenever play resumes. But clubs could show themselves as businesses first and want you to forget 19/20 and just 'stick 'em up, give us your season ticket money'.
    If we reach that point, at least it's good to see there will be 'further polls' on how to decide outcomes and it won't necessarily be just a game of statues where they say well done, up you go Jon Stead's Harrogate
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 17-04-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    From that BBC piece, the smart clubs are those saying we don't have the info to make a decision (Barrow, Harrogate and the 8 clubs above the relegation zone will be the ones wanting to cancel now).
    I'm not sure that will be the case. I see it that if the season is null and void then it essentially didn't happen so no promotions or relegations or trophy wins can be awarded. The only way promotions and relegations can happen is if there is an overwhelming agreement to go with a PPG model.

The clubs voting to end the season now will be those who have most to lose (ie relegation threatened) and who will be better off taking the PL hand out and closing down until the new season.

The reason some didn't vote or voted not sure is because there is still no official line over what would happen next. You are right about needing to see what the EFL do first because there is an argument that if the season is null and void Notts have a serious legal claim to be reinstated in place of Bury.

I'm not sure that will be the case. I see it that if the season is null and void then it essentially didn't happen so no promotions or relegations or trophy wins can be awarded. The only way promotions and relegations can happen is if there is an overwhelming agreement to go with a PPG model.

The clubs voting to end the season now will be those who have most to lose (ie relegation threatened) and who will be better off taking the PL hand out and closing down until the new season.

The reason some didn't vote or voted not sure is because there is still no official line over what would happen next. You are right about needing to see what the EFL do first because there is an argument that if the season is null and void Notts have a serious legal claim to be reinstated in place of Bury.
    Tell us more! What is this serious legal claim?

I initially thought it was pie in the sky Notts get reinstated if the season is null and voided but the more I think about it, perhaps it isn't. I guess it's where you are saying the new starting point is, is it literally we saying we are back in May last year where the new leagues (with promoted and relegated teams) and fixtures haven't been formed, as in that case then I imagine we have an argument.

I don't think you got my post - I said that the clubs voting to end would be Barrow, Harrogate and those just above the drop. and also the reason that some didn't vote.

Hopefully, they'll at least wait for the EFL. But the BBC piece reminds us that it's a democracy (although I'm not sure how '4 votes for the National League North and South' works). Would they vote to make the season "null and void'' though? Could that be challenged legally? Would they really make a statement that their own competitions are worthless? It seems that the league itself would be free to put different solutions to the vote which would be better than 'null and void' you'd imagine.

Sounds like a recipe for chaos to me. Let's hope they see sense and wait for the EFL. They'd look pretty stupid declaring the season as cancelled, letting 70+ clubs take actions on that basis, and then see the EFL declare that they'll finish the 19/20 season.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I initially thought it was pie in the sky Notts get reinstated if the season is null and voided but the more I think about it, perhaps it isn't. I guess it's where you are saying the new starting point is, is it literally we saying we are back in May last year where the new leagues (with promoted and relegated teams) and fixtures haven't been formed, as in that case then I imagine we have an argument.
    If we are saying the season never happened then yes that's exactly what I'm thinking.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast