+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Your Home Made Perfect

Your Home Made Perfect

Is my not to be missed current TV. If you don't know VR is used to give couples a view of two alternative renovations to their properties to a budget. As this is what I spent most of my working life doing then it is not surprising I love it.

'Stars' of the show are 2 regular architects who come up with very different ideas which participants have to choose between based on the VR. Of all the trades I had to work with over the years I found architects (together with planners) the most difficult to work with. They always wanted to press their ideas on the clients and paid very little heed to what they wanted or I suggested and often what the budget was. Apologies if you are an architect or a planner but that was my experience

And the other reason I love it that presenter Angela Scanlon is one very very saucy young lady.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Is my not to be missed current TV. If you don't know VR is used to give couples a view of two alternative renovations to their properties to a budget. As this is what I spent most of my working life doing then it is not surprising I love it.

'Stars' of the show are 2 regular architects who come up with very different ideas which participants have to choose between based on the VR. Of all the trades I had to work with over the years I found architects (together with planners) the most difficult to work with. They always wanted to press their ideas on the clients and paid very little heed to what they wanted or I suggested and often what the budget was. Apologies if you are an architect or a planner but that was my experience

And the other reason I love it that presenter Angela Scanlon is one very very saucy young lady.
    yes watched last night very cleaver people,Angela scanlon your right the other young lady was no minga 923.

This use of technology will I'm sure revolutionise the business I was in. Its arrival is probably another reason I am glad I am no longer in it.Whether I was developing for myself or a client I was an early advocate of open plan. I've knocked down a few walls in my time.

I had a basic formula dependent on if you were building up, out to the back or out to the side. First rule of KISS don't move a staircase or fireplace.

I do miss the challenge of buying the right property or very best of all a plot of land.

[QUOsgTE=9goals2hattricks3pen;39477780]Is my not to be missed current TV. If you don't know VR is used to give couples a view of two alternative renovations to their properties to a budget. As this is what I spent most of my working life doing then it is not surprising I love it.

And the other reason I love it that presenter Angela Scanlon is one very very saucy young lady.[/QUOTE]

Apology accepted

Quote Originally Posted by Q165 View Post
    [QUOsgTE=9goals2hattricks3pen;39477780]Is my not to be missed current TV. If you don't know VR is used to give couples a view of two alternative renovations to their properties to a budget. As this is what I spent most of my working life doing then it is not surprising I love it.

Apology accepted [/QUOTE]

So come on Q were you the architect who paid little attention to the clients wishes or budgets or the planner who held up work for months whilst making a decision on which windows had to be fitted to a delapidated properties that were an eyesore.

My favourite story involving an architect was on my of my early builds the architect was managing. The build had already started without an agreed solution to access to an extension. The architect's answer was going to cost around £10k the owner's was £7k and a bit of a dog's breakfast. I hadn't got an answer. My young carpenter came up with a solution that cost me £500 and the owner £800. I gave the carpenter the £300 and eventually took him on full time. Worked for me until I retired.

So sir defend yourself!

At school I always wanted to be an architect.

Apology accepted
    So come on Q were you the architect who paid little attention to the clients wishes or budgets or the planner who held up work for months whilst making a decision on which windows had to be fitted to a delapidated properties that were an eyesore.

My favourite story involving an architect was on my of my early builds the architect was managing. The build had already started without an agreed solution to access to an extension. The architect's answer was going to cost around £10k the owner's was £7k and a bit of a dog's breakfast. I hadn't got an answer. My young carpenter came up with a solution that cost me £500 and the owner £800. I gave the carpenter the £300 and eventually took him on full time. Worked for me until I retired.

So sir defend yourself!

At school I always wanted to be an architect.[/QUOTE]

I was a planner for over 30 years doing a range of jobs. I had a time in Development Control where I had contact with numerous developers, agents, builders etc. I like to think that over the years I built up a decent rapport with many of them. Of course there were those who did not like me but they were the ones whose proposals I would recommend for refusal or who consistently came up with poor proposals. I would always want to a talk a proposal through either before submission or during the assessment. This arrangement seemed to work well for me and applicants appreciated it. I accept that the planning process used to be slow at times. That all changed when management became target driven and the determination of as many applications as possible within the 8 week period became the be all and end all. This was OK for straightforward simple proposals but was not realistically possible in some situations. Instead of talking about matters we were now being told to refuse so that the target could be met. Hardly good service. I ended up being a Conservation Officer responsible for listed buildings and conservation areas. It is only in these situations that detailed design of windows is relevant. How the interior is affected is only relevant with regard to listed buildings.

Why was there such long delays, When was the 8 week rule introduced? Personally I think 8 weeks is a heck of a long time for some 'minors'

I got different cooperation from my neighbouring offices. Fortunately my local planners were pretty good and I had good relationships with them. The next two were hard work and if ever I ventured into West Kent my heart sank.

Last night's episode was very different Budget was only £15k to sort out a conservatory. Cynic in me asked how much of such a small budget the 2 top architects would have demanded for their services?

Try getting a planning decision from Dudley Council.

Their motto is.....”The answer is no....what was your question?

A dreadful and corrupt bunch to deal with.

I wanted to get planning on a brownfield site I owned for six much needed starter homes in a low income area.

I put in a detailed plan and jumped every hurdle required and got turned down after spending around £15k getting to that point.

I went to appeal with my architect who was a top bloke.

I did the speaking.....three minutes on the timer before the buzzer went off!

It became apparent that the neighbour who had opposed my application was on first name terms with the council leader and at least one other person on the seven person committee 🤔😫

A flagrant breach of the rules as anyone with a relationship or friendship with applicant or complainer is supposed to stand down.

An elderly man on the committee was aghast at this and tore a strip off these other two members and registered his disgust.

I think it was him speaking up that swung it my way by 4 to 3 votes.

Dudley are a disgrace,nobody in our area has a good word for them.

Why was there such long delays, When was the 8 week rule introduced? Personally I think 8 weeks is a heck of a long time for some 'minors'

I got different cooperation from my neighbouring offices. Fortunately my local planners were pretty good and I had good relationships with them. The next two were hard work and if ever I ventured into West Kent my heart sank.

Last night's episode was very different Budget was only £15k to sort out a conservatory. Cynic in me asked how much of such a small budget the 2 top architects would have demanded for their services?
    923, it is quite some time since I worked in development control. When I started we were working to a government statutory instrument published in 1963. Amongst other things this set down an 8 week period for the determination of all applications (statutory time limit). If an application was not determined within this period (unless a time extension had been agreed) an applicant could appeal against non determination and the application would be taken out of the hands of the authority. I saw this take place particularly by big applicants (many house builders) who knew it would be refused so it was a waste of their time waiting until this actually happened. But in the majority of cases this was a waste of time as the application would have been determined anyway before the appeal procedure has been finalised. The delay in determining applications was to a large degree the result of how the decision was actually taken. Significant applications would have to go before a committee of elected members. The authority to determine smaller scale developments would be given to an elected member. In both cases the system could be quite slow. It was in the 90's (I think) that the 8 week figure changed in emphasis and became the target time in which applications had to be determined. Much authority to do this was delegated to individual officers with only major applications going before a committee. I did not like this arrangement. Today I think that matters have changed again with there being an 8 week period for most proposals and 13 and 16 weeks for major proposals. Sorry if that is as clear as mud.
    Last edited by Q165; 23-04-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Try getting a planning decision from Dudley Council.

Their motto is.....”The answer is no....what was your question?

A dreadful and corrupt bunch to deal with.

I wanted to get planning on a brownfield site I owned for six much needed starter homes in a low income area.

I put in a detailed plan and jumped every hurdle required and got turned down after spending around £15k getting to that point.

I went to appeal with my architect who was a top bloke.

I did the speaking.....three minutes on the timer before the buzzer went off!

It became apparent that the neighbour who had opposed my application was on first name terms with the council leader and at least one other person on the seven person committee ����

A flagrant breach of the rules as anyone with a relationship or friendship with applicant or complainer is supposed to stand down.

An elderly man on the committee was aghast at this and tore a strip off these other two members and registered his disgust.

I think it was him speaking up that swung it my way by 4 to 3 votes.

Dudley are a disgrace,nobody in our area has a good word for them.
    I had an experience from the other side of the fence where I lived previously. There was a proposal to build a Social Club in the village to serve the nearby town. It would have been a bit of a nuisance for me but for some of my neighbours horrendous. A councillor of the planning committee had an interest but stood down. Did that stop him lobbying his mates? What do you think?

From memory it was a 2 minute rule 2 speakers only from memory. What chance a non professional of influencing a group that already made their minds up?

We were however cheered by the fact the Town Councillor for our ward met with us and said he would vote against. I was chatting to an ex councillor mate from another town and told him how buoyed we were that we had this guy's support. He actually laughed out loud and explained. Let's say their are 9 others on the panel and 7 others have already agreed beforehand to vote for. It then of course because becomes totally irrelevant which way he votes. And this is exactly what happened. I don't want to evben think about how much of this type of duplicity goes on at all levels.

Such a c0ck up was made of the funding that 10 years later not a brick has been laid.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)