+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ed Miliband - Very well said.

Ed Miliband - Very well said.

Not words I’ve often put in a sentence.

Today on the news he was commenting on the slowness of emergency funding reaching businesses under pressure.

Apparently.......those b a s t a r d s at the banks are playing hardball because they’re still on the hook for 20% of any loan given.

Unbelievable considering we saved their a r s e s in 2008!

Miliband is spot on.......the government need to underwrite 100% of these emergency loans so that money can be accessed quickly by the desperate.

Yes,there will be some abuse but overall it’ll see that most businesses survive.

I’ve been very,very lucky so I don’t need to lend any........due to selling goods that suit the season and the situation we’ve been ridiculously busy but if this happens again in autumn/winter our sales would be almost zero.

A well thought out idea by Ed and I hope Rishi Sunak takes it onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

Today on the news he was commenting on the slowness of emergency funding reaching businesses under pressure.

Apparently.......those b a s t a r d s at the banks are playing hardball because they’re still on the hook for 20% of any loan given.

Miliband is spot on.......the government need to underwrite 100% of these emergency loans so that money can be accessed quickly by the desperate.

Yes,there will be some abuse but overall it’ll see that most businesses survive.

I’ve been very,very lucky so I don’t need to lend any........due to selling goods that suit the season and the situation we’ve been ridiculously busy but if this happens again in autumn/winter our sales would be almost zero.

he maybe and probably is spot on with what he said,but he’s still a backstabbing bar steward,the Labour Party would look very different today if he hadn’t shafted his brother.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

I heard yesterday that the Banks have only given 2% of the loans available to businesses. I heard this on the news just before that Lloyds Bank advert came on telling us that they're with us every step of the way in these difficult times.

BBC News interviewed a bloke who owned a manufacturing lab who said he could make testing kits to the required standard to a very high volume. When asked why he wasn't he said that he had been refused a loan by his bank as he would manufacture these kits at low margin and didn't want to be seen to profit excessively from the current crisis and was therefore taking a benevolent view. So, BBC News concluded the country was missing out on thousands of these kits due to the bank even in these circumstances refusing a loan.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    I heard yesterday that the Banks have only given 2% of the loans available to businesses. I heard this on the news just before that Lloyds Bank advert came on telling us that they're with us every step of the way in these difficult times.

BBC News interviewed a bloke who owned a manufacturing lab who said he could make testing kits to the required standard to a very high volume. When asked why he wasn't he said that he had been refused a loan by his bank as he would manufacture these kits at low margin and didn't want to be seen to profit excessively from the current crisis and was therefore taking a benevolent view. So, BBC News concluded the country was missing out on thousands of these kits due to the bank even in these circumstances refusing a loan.
    I hate dealing with any financial institution with a passion. The people on 'the front line' have no idea of what true customer service is and this is because of the culture filtered down from the very top.

So badly trained are they they don't have any apprehension of just what a rubbish job they are doing. If only they would spend a fraction of their tele ad budget on some quality customer service training. Even their job titles are silly. I asked for some help from one of them yesterday and the email came back from

P12345 | Case Owner | Account Servicing Telephony Team 2

I've changed the number to protect the innocent but the person no more 'owned my case' than next door's dog. Grrrr!
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 16-04-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    I hate dealing with any financial institution with a passion. The people on 'the front line' have no idea of what true customer service is and this is because of the culture filtered down from the very top.

So badly trained are they they don't have any apprehension of just what a rubbish job they are doing. If only they would spend a fraction of their tele ad budget on some quality customer service training. Even their job titles are silly. I asked for some help from one of them yesterday and the email came back from

P12345 | Case Owner | Account Servicing Telephony Team 2

I've changed the number to protect the innocent but the person no more 'owned my case' than next door's dog. Grrrr!
    I agree with this summary.

My dad worked for a Barclays owned finance company from the 60’s until he retired in the early 90’s.

Banking and finance were top notch in those days and my dad dealt face to face with whichever company he was potentially lending to and it was he and he alone who decided whether to lend.

It was based on the fact the company trusted a quality employee and that he wouldn’t be in that position if not up to the job.

Later on the company was taken over by the Yanks and it became a s h I t show with ranks and ranks of “managers”

Everyone wanted their say,people loving their chance to intervene and say no or make things difficult so he retired early as he was so fed up.

For a good while I got on well with the girl who was my Barclays business manager until I wanted to sell off some unused brownfield land that I owned on my warehouse site.

I got planning for six houses and was ready to sell it off but I owed Barclays about £270k in mortgage.

I was selling the site for £150k and the remaining parts of my site with offices and warehousing was worth around £700k.

So out of £700k I only owed £270 to Barclays.

I wanted to use the £150k from the land sale for another project I was working on.

I spoke to Barclays about the land sale because it was all part of the deeds for the property and I needed a new deed drawing up to split this land from the remaining site.

Barclays would only allow this to happen if the £150k from the land sale was all used to pay down the mortgage! 😫

I pointed out to my Barclays lady the value of my remaining site compared to the £270k I owed them and the fact I’d already paid of £125k of what I’d borrowed four years earlier and that in 40 years I’d never missed a payment on any of a multitude of mortgages I’d had with Barclays.

She couldn’t get it into her head and “passed it upstairs” to management.

I got the same from them and in frustration I sent her an email about Barclays risk assessment team stating.....and I quote.....” Even Stevie Wonder could see that allowing me to retain the £150k from sale represents no risk to Barclays as my 40 year history with yourselves proves,it doesn’t require the intellect of Sir Stephen Hawking to work this out”.

I had dealt with this lady for 7-8 years and she knew me well and knew my humour and my dry wit and yet I got a scathing reply from her about “abusing her colleagues” and that my tone wasn’t acceptable.

I ended up having to request a change of business manager and although he’s a nice enough lad he’s nothing more than a form filler with as much clout as Albion in the transfer market.

I’m looking forward to sending Barclays a “ F U C K YOU “ message once I’ve paid them off.

I’ve never even had a business overdraft and at the time they were knocking me back I had enough in the business and private account to have more than paid them off.

Utter T W A T S!!
    Last edited by mickd1961; 16-04-2020 at 07:16 PM.

One reason these institutions have lousy customer service is they operate separate teams. One doesn't know what the other is doing. I have sent emails and had phone cons (1/2 hour min wait each time. I'm fortunate to have the free time)with 3 different teams within Nationwide and of course each time I have to start the conversation all over again and none of them gave give me the complete picture. My latest communication is with their LPA team. I don't even know what LPA stands for. Google says 'Lasting Power of Attorney' but this no way fits what I am querying.

My original query was for £611 that is now down to £4 but I now feel so bloody minded about it I insist they justify it.

This is how it should work. I should truly have a 'case worker' who after receiving my initial query should have said 'leave it with me I will sort it with the relevant depts and get back to you' This customer focused approach would have actually been more efficient for Nationwide rather than fielding communications for an increasingly angry me. Grrr!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)