+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Memories Of Norman Hunter's Red & White Army

Memories Of Norman Hunter's Red & White Army

That night at Anfield in 1982 when backed by 17k travelling reds we took it to the League and European Champions .

Played em off the park , better finishing , Glav was injured that night and Parker was still on the treatment table and would have seen us win comfortably .

What a night that was , on many levels !!! .

Bugger diamond formations and twist and turn zones. That early 80's team worra proper, free flowing, balanced, entertaining team.
    A biggun and quality little un up frunt, tricky wingers, attacking midfielders than ran through and scored, players who could shoot, crunching tacklers in midfield and full back, a pair of centre heyfs that stopped attacks, keepers that commanded the area.
    Thanks Norman.

Rotherham 2 Barnsley 4 my favourite.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 17-04-2020 at 05:38 PM.

I was there that day at Millmoor swinging from the rafters to get a clear view of the game. What a turn out from Tarn god knows how many of us were crammed into the away end.

What a day that was.

Thanks Norman

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    He was obviously best friends with Norman a fact that had elluded me
    Two good men together

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    He was obviously best friends with Norman a fact that had elluded me
    Two good men together
    Great point Glav makes about having Norman in charge of us when we played the so called big clubs back then .

" We are Manchester City "

" So fecking what we are Norman Hunter's Barnsley "

And then we went out and stuffed em .

There were 33,792 inside Oakwell the night we beat Manchester City in the League Cup in December 1981 .

You couldn't get the width of a fag paper between you and the guy stood next or in front of you .

We joined the huge queues on Grove Street about 6pm for a 7.45pm KO , it was all ticket at that .

The atmosphere that night was truly amazing , the size of the crowd , sense of occasion , the noise and the passion .

When big Trev scored in front of the Ponty in the second half it was one of those moments that never leave you even all these years later .

As the great Barry Davies described it on the Sportsnight broadcast later that evening ..

" Banks wont reach it ....... yes he will "

Glavin near post ..... Aylott further over "

" Oh that's a super goal "

The first division that night looked a formality , alas it was not to be .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 17-04-2020 at 08:22 PM.

A really good article about Norman in today's Yorkshire Post , he didn't get the amount of International caps he probably deserved , but then England had the great Bobby Moore , lots of good memories of this likeable lad
    although one of them i remember , not his best ! An away game , it was a rare event at the time for the team to be given the run around , I think it was at Grimsby ? Losing heavily, Norman had seen enough , he decided to chin their centre forward ( maybe Kevin Drinkell ? ) before the ref could show him a red card , Norman was halfway to the tunnel , he was without doubt a top top player and Manager for us , God Bless Him A big loss to Football , but one most of us won't forget