+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Here are the present World figures.

Cases: 2, 407,699
    Deaths : 165,093
    Recovered: 628,919
    Active cases: 1,613,982
    In mild condition: 1,559,476 (97%)
    In serious condition: 54,211 (3%)

These are based on the figures of people who have been tested. I think that the virus has been around for much longer than they have been saying, possibly last September so the cases are probably much higher.
    People could have had it and not realised,putting it down to the seasonal flu.

We are now hearing different stories about it escaping from a laboratory, and that the Chinese didn't give us the proper figures.
    By the time the world went into lockdown the virus had probably been loose for weeks, so it was a a case of shutting the stable door after the horse had bolted.

It’s almost impossible to have any certainty as to what the truth is.
    The Sunday Times criticism of the government has produced a detailed response, available throughout all media, refuting the claims with specific answers. Again, who to believe. For the majority of us, we have to take a view.
    There will undoubtedly be some form of independent enquiry (aka Philpott) post event.
    I’m not sure that now is the time to investigate, with the focus needs to continue to be on overcoming the virus.
    Notwithstanding, whatever is alleged will be subject to personal interpretation and belief.

typo Chilcot enquiry

There are a lot of half truths and misleading information.
    They are talking about a vaccine. There are no vaccines for a virus.
    I never have the flu jab because last year's flu is a different virus to this years.
    Most people i know who have it feel rough afterwards and spend a couple of days in bed, not really surprising if you inject yourself with flu.
    A vaccine could be a available next year, again not surprising because it will be some of the antibodies of Covid 19. But the Coronavirus will have mutated again by that time.
    Coronavirus is here to stay, Swine Flu is still with us, but after a period of time we build up an immunity against them.
    Covid 19 is dangerous because it is a completely new virus that we have no immunity against.
    Even so the figures show that 97% of people only get a mild form.
    The worry is that by trying to contain it could make it mutate into something more aggressive.
    We still have a long way to go before we see the million deaths of the 1968 flu or the 50 million deaths of the 1918 Spanish flu.
    My point is you are far more likely to die of something else than Covid 19.
    There has been almost two and a half million deaths this year from cancer alone.
    Last edited by WBA1955; 20-04-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    It’s almost impossible to have any certainty as to what the truth is.
    The Sunday Times criticism of the government has produced a detailed response, available throughout all media, refuting the claims with specific answers. Again, who to believe. For the majority of us, we have to take a view.
    There will undoubtedly be some form of independent enquiry (aka Philpott) post event.
    I’m not sure that now is the time to investigate, with the focus needs to continue to be on overcoming the virus.
    Notwithstanding, whatever is alleged will be subject to personal interpretation and belief.
    If only we could have an honest and open debate not only about what has gone but more importantly what we are going to do in the future. I reckon we have two hopes and one of them is Bob!

We’re it not for medical science and practices of today, Covid19 would just as likely be at least as deadly as the Spanish Flu of 1918. There are though, some rather worrying details about Covid19 that are not adding up. The Chinese (i.e. the People’s Republic of China) not only has an appalling human rights record but also their record on bio safety at their laboratories is also very bad. If the Chinese had wanted to ‘engineer’ a virus to cripple the West, in order to further their aim of Global domination, then Covid19 is just about perfect. Coincidence? Western governments have emphasised that this is a natural virus, well, they would, wouldn’t they? If it were shown to be a bio weapon, even if released by accident, the ramifications for World peace would be very serious. I’m not saying that Covid19 is a man made virus but there are a lot more questions than answers and the Chinese are as untrustworthy a nation as any on the planet. How this virus behaves in the coming months will be as interesting as it could be frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    There are a lot of half truths and misleading information.
    They are talking about a vaccine. There are no vaccines for a virus.
    I never have the flu jab because last year's flu is a different virus to this years.
    Most people i know who have it feel rough afterwards and spend a couple of days in bed, not really surprising if you inject yourself with flu.
    A vaccine could be a available next year, again not surprising because it will be some of the antibodies of Covid 19. But the Coronavirus will have mutated again by that time.
    Coronavirus is here to stay, Swine Flu is still with us, but after a period of time we build up an immunity against them.
    Covid 19 is dangerous because it is a completely new virus that we have no immunity against.
    Even so the figures show that 97% of people only get a mild form.
    The worry is that by trying to contain it could make it mutate into something more aggressive.
    We still have a long way to go before we see the million deaths of the 1968 flu or the 50 million deaths of the 1918 Spanish flu.
    My point is you are far more likely to die of something else than Covid 19.
    There has been almost two and a half million deaths this year from cancer alone.
    You’re spreading your own miss truths here Des.

1/ There are many vaccines for viruses.

2/ The flu jab comments.......what poppycock!

I’ve taken it for the last two winters at 57 and 58 and I’ve not had as much as a sniffle which is unusual for me.

The first year I had it I was fine for a few days after taking it and then felt slightly below par a week later but wasn’t “ill” and didn’t need to take to my bed.

For the winter just passed I had absolutely zero reaction.

Same with my wife,she had no reaction in either year and has had no winter illnesses and she’s five years older than me.

Too many people like to proclaim they’ve had the flu when they’ve had nothing more than a bad cold.

I’ve had flu once,back in new year 2000 when I was 39 and I was really very ill and if I’d had that same level of illness now at 58 I think I’d have been 50/50 to survive and if I’d been 80 it would’ve killed me.

Not having the flu jab at your age is as criminally stupid as a parent not giving the MMR jab to their child.

You keep banging on about the relatively low numbers of cases and deaths of Covid compared to other regular illnesses,you constantly overlook the fact that it’s the SPEED and volume of cases needing ICU care that can swamp the health service in any given country.

Lovely definition of the difference between a bad cold and the flu

If you were stood on the touchline of a football pitch and saw a £20 note on the centre spot if you had a cold you'd go and pick it up.If you had the flu you couldn't.

I’m with you Mick.

I have had the flu jab for the last three years. I was a little apprehensive at first because of some of the things I had heard. The day after I had a bit of a runny nose but that was it. Never felt bad at all. The next year the nurse warned me that the vaccine was stronger and I might feel some effects. Not a dicky bird. Same this year. I would advise anybody to have it.

It has always grated with me when I see people and they say ‘I’ve had a touch of the flu’. My ar5e they have. I had the Hong Kong flu in 1969. I was young, fit and strong but was totally debilitated for over a week. I had to be lying in bed all the time, was vomiting on a regular basis and found it hard to sleep. I have never felt so ill and could not keep even a sip of water down. I have always been absolutely sure that if I had been older and weaker I would not have survived.

My mate rolls that one out Mick, I have had the jab and I don't get the flu. I don't have it and i don't get the flu either.
    Just luck of the draw. I have spoken to doctors about it, some say it works others say it doesn't. My mate who had it spent three days in bed afterwards, i wondered why he wasn't in the pub.
    No cure for a virus Mick, not even a common cold.
    If you go to your GP you will see a sign on the wall, if you are suffering from a cold or flu stay at home, keep warm and drink plenty of fluids.
    Nothing at all that they can do for it mate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)