+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Former Scottish Stadiums

Quote Originally Posted by Auld_Chippy View Post
    Just missed going to Cathkin, Third Lanark were finished by the time I started travelling to away games, been to all the other ones though. Like Stravaiger my first visit to Shawfield was a bit of a mystery tour which I found more through luck than precise navigation, despite poring over a street map before I left home, the country boy lost in the big city. The 2002 game at Brockville that ftivano1 mentioned earlier, I remember walking to my car after the game followed by 3 or 4 young Falkirk urchins who were giving me the V's and the gerrit right up ye, yer teams ****e. My old dad didn't get to many away games but he came with me once to Bayview. This was well before the "new" Edinburgh City Bypass was built and you went via what I believe was called the Inner ring road. We got to the game nae bother as the route to the Forth Bridge was well signposted but coming back through Edinburgh was a different matter as I must have missed a turning. I told the old man to look out for Ring Road signs but he turned out to be a worse navigator than me. Luckily we spotted a Gibsons bus at a set of traffic lights which we followed to guide us out of Edinburgh.
    Think I was at that Falkirk game. Didn’t Robbie Neilson get sent off that day ?

In the 50s my uncle got me into the proper Douglas Park We also visited most of the other grounds as a member of the Larkhall branch of the Hamilton Accies supporters club. We left Larkhall in our 25 seater coach from the same place as the 10 large buses commandeered by the Glasgow Rangers supporters club. Not unheard of the Rangers fans giving our old coach a push start. Favourite grounds Cathkin and Shawfield as we had a reasonable chance that our coach would make it there and back without braking down. Strangely I don't remember visiting Queens. Sorry this is not Queens related but the thread brought back great boyhood memories

Amazingly 53 years on since their demise Third Lanark's ground Cathkin Park (very near Hampden) still exists since the last game there versus QOS - a 3-3 draw in which Dumfries born Brian McMurdo scored the last goal at the famous old ground for the Doonhamers. Hard to believe that 45,455 once attended a game here versus Rangers in 1954.

I always wonder why Cathkin was never developed for Queens Park to use, Sad and a shame to see the ground as it is now

Four of the grounds are now supermarkets, one a retail park and three housing estates - a sign of the times !

Pretty sure Cathkin Park is currently being used for football
    Think the Jimmy Johnstone foundation have a lease on the pitch (this may have proved a stumbling block to any
    plans for the Hi-Hi to return to the pyramid)
    whats left of the terracing seems to get a regular tidy up
    the council have never entertained any plans to build on the site (which must have driven that Hiddleston who killed the club crazy)
    5 mins walk from Hampden head up the hill at the corner of north and east stands

An article in the Sunday Post recently by a Brian Fowlie said:- '' there is an amateur team called Third Lanark but bizarrely they are unable to play at the old ground '' Probably because as CDBlue says The Jimmy Johnstone Foundation hold the lease.

Quote Originally Posted by CDBlue View Post
    Pretty sure Cathkin Park is currently being used for football
    Think the Jimmy Johnstone foundation have a lease on the pitch (this may have proved a stumbling block to any
    plans for the Hi-Hi to return to the pyramid)
    whats left of the terracing seems to get a regular tidy up
    the council have never entertained any plans to build on the site (which must have driven that Hiddleston who killed the club crazy)
    5 mins walk from Hampden head up the hill at the corner of north and east stands
    I visited Cathkin a few years back and is well worth a trip to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Yes Colin if I remember correctly they secured seats on to their concrete terracing. Kilbowie is now a retail park.
    Blackpool being the first English one, but you had to go down the seafront and hire a deck chair first .........

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)