+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Porterfield's debut

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    Porterfield was arguably the worst of those named because he was given the best hand to play with. He did take us to one of three of the classic League Cup finals of the late 1980s against Deadco but unfortunately it was one of his own buys from the English leagues that lost his nerve in the penalty shoot-out.
    To be fair Peter Nicholas was a Welsh international when he played for us and what i can remember was decent player? I could be wrong but i thought he was captain of Wales as well?
    Plenty players miss penalties in shootouts but i always remember him as being a good player for us

Aye, Nicholas was a good player.
    As was the other Nicholas he signed.
    But Hackett, Jones, Edwards .......

He took over a team that had been recently voted the best in Europe and bought Gary Hackett and Tom Jones.

It’s not unusual

Quote Originally Posted by nice1simmy View Post
    To be fair Peter Nicholas was a Welsh international when he played for us and what i can remember was decent player? I could be wrong but i thought he was captain of Wales as well?
    Plenty players miss penalties in shootouts but i always remember him as being a good player for us
    I would disagree about Peter Nicholas. He certainly scored a couple of crackers early on against Deadco and Dunfermline but he was forever taking the safe option, pushing the ball sideways. He only lasted one season and I think both him and the club were happy to split. I'd be surprised if Smith/Scott fancied him, anyway by that time Simmy had returned from an injury that curtailed his 87/88 season and readied himself for a 'crunch' meeting with Ian Durrant's Deadco in October at Pittodrie..

Speaking of which, has anybody seen that to55er Terry Yorath's challenge on a Bayern Munich player in the 1975 European Cup Final? Leeds were cheated you say? They should've been down to nine men in the first 20 minutes for the Yorath challenge and Joe Jordan sinking his elbow into the face of their left-back...Horrible lot
    Last edited by BogBrush1903; 22-04-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    It’s not unusual
    Tom Jones became caretaker manager of Armenia National Team in 2007, which was unusual for English journeyman footballer

I would disagree about Peter Nicholas. He certainly scored a couple of crackers early on against Deadco and Dunfermline but he was forever taking the safe option, pushing the ball sideways. He only lasted one season and I think both him and the club were happy to split. I'd be surprised if Smith/Scott fancied him, anyway by that time Simmy had returned from an injury that curtailed his 87/88 season and readied himself for a 'crunch' meeting with Ian Durrant's Deadco in October at Pittodrie..

Speaking of which, has anybody seen that to55er Terry Yorath's challenge on a Bayern Munich player in the 1975 European Cup Final? Leeds were cheated you say? They should've been down to nine men in the first 20 minutes for the Yorath challenge and Joe Jordan sinking his elbow into the face of their left-back...Horrible lot
    Agree with most of that but Peter Nicholas was more than decent. Welsh captain . Moved back down south after a season for family reasons . Club wanted to keep him. Most fans including myself were disappointed when he left.

Tom Jones became caretaker manager of Armenia National Team in 2007, which was unusual for English journeyman footballer
    He maybe had family links in Armenia and preferred the green green grass of home

The other Tom Jones couldn't have been any worse.

I don’t think we would have noticed much of a footballing difference if the singing Tom Jones played instead of the humming one we employed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast