+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and the Media

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Yes. Do you always rise to the bait ��? Happy Saturday to you and yours

Lol! Says the bloke who’s spent the last 24 hours taking umbrage and wriggling over being criticised for indulging in ‘casual racism’ on Thursday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    The vast majority of Parliament, business leaders, CoE hierarchy, Catholic Church and the rest of the establishment aside you mean?
    Would your average working class bloke approach any one of those or even know how to?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Would your average working class bloke approach any one of those or even know how to?
    I’d imagine the Catholic ones would...but you seem to be becoming ever more specific. So now you want a support/pressure group for average, white, working class, middle aged males? Thank God you’re not a left handed amputee.

Oh God, just heard...it’s Priti Patel tonight. That should send the the public mood into free fall. Thank goodness it’s Saturday and she can’t do the same to the £. Not much support for your ‘client group’ there!
    Last edited by ramAnag; 25-04-2020 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I’d imagine the Catholic ones would...but you seem to be becoming ever more specific. So now you want a support/pressure group for average, white, working class, middle aged males? Thank God you’re not a left handed amputee.

Oh God, just heard...it’s Priti Patel tonight. That should send the the public mood into free fall. Thank goodness it’s Saturday and she can’t do the same to the £. Not much support for your ‘client group’ there!
    Hang on rA, don't you mean average, white, working class, middle aged, straight, atheist or agnostic, non disabled men who align to the gender assigned them at birth?

But that is a bit broad brush still.

Hang on rA, don't you mean average, white, working class, middle aged, straight, atheist or agnostic, non disabled men who align to the gender assigned them at birth?

But, it's still a minority group.

I wonder if it would now be possible to transfer as many covid patients as possible, to the Nightingale hospitals, which would allow some NHS hospitals to return to normal?

The issue here, addressed to RA esp, is that the feelings you see vented here don’t respresent the frustrations of four or five bitter old men on a footy forum, it’s widespread amongst ‘normal’. (Reasonable, law abiding, charitable non-racist) men AND women throughout the country. Without a focal point, such feelings circulate just below the radar

But, it's still a minority group.

I wonder if it would now be possible to transfer as many covid patients as possible, to the Nightingale hospitals, which would allow some NHS hospitals to return to normal?
    Actually, a simple idea but a great idea.

What time is the BBC 6.00 news on? I don't finish work til 19:30 and sure as hell not getting up at 06:00

That sounds to me like the best idea on here for weeks.

Sorry, don’t know why GP’s quote came up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    The issue here, addressed to RA esp, is that the feelings you see vented here don’t respresent the frustrations of four or five bitter old men on a footy forum, it’s widespread amongst ‘normal’. (Reasonable, law abiding, charitable non-racist) men AND women throughout the country. Without a focal point, such feelings circulate just below the radar
    I would concur with that AF.

Folks are fed up having issues which are rammed at you like a brain washing campaign and the ruling elite thinking that they know best and will make a decision for you. They never seem to learn that lesson.
    So topics that do cause offence, fester and gnaw at folks grow, which the press inflames with its obsessions.
    The gaurdian has been running all these topics here and pushing them. I believe it's why RA raises them all the time.
    Only trouble is, like every newspaper, the Guardian is a biased newspaper to suit its agenda and will only talk about what suits that.Even if it omits part of the story.

I'll give you an example.

This mornings headline was-
    The NHS shouldn't be receiving donations like Cpt Toms to function. It should come from Government coffers.
    I read that and 100% agreed (shock/horror), even if taxes need to be raised.
    It also spoke of every penny counting towards the cause and no stone unturned. Yep I was still on board.

Then I realised not one word was mentioned of the money owed to the NHS by health tourists.
    8 months ago it was £150 000 000 outstanding.
    That infuriated me, as it is called the "National" not "world" health service.
    You can't have it both ways, screaming the NHS is underfunded. When it lets money slip through its own fingers.
    No, before the usuals start. I'm not slaughtering the NHS. I owe it my life.
    I just wish it wasn't used as weapon politically to bash politicians with.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    You’re probably right about the ‘four or five bitter old men’, Andy. That’s just how you all came across to me and I think you’ve missed my point.
    ‘Casual racism’ is very different from being overtly racist and I think I chose my words more carefully than either you or GP.
    Maybe if you read it back you’ll see that there is a type of ‘them and us’ mentality emerging and a resentment about those BAME groups who are accused, wrongly imo, of gaining attention because they ‘shout loudest’.

If you still don’t agree, we’ll just have to agree to differ.

As for ‘normal’...what you’re actually describing, imo, is ‘decent’. Sadly I’m not sure quite how ‘normal’ it is for people to be ‘reasonable, law abiding, charitable and non-racist’, these days...but I sincerely wish you were right.

Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)