+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and the Media

Quote Originally Posted by geoff parkstone View Post
    what time is the bbc 6.00 news on? I don't finish work til 19:30 and sure as hell not getting up at 06:00
    8.00 pm!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Well, I’ve just watched the whole of the BBC 6.00 News and I honestly don’t know what there is to find fault with.

Informative, objective, unbiased and well presented imo.

Could we put it to the ‘test’ sometime...all interested watch the first fif**** minutes, or perhaps the whole thirty minutes, one evening soon and collate our findings perhaps?
    Correct, the 6 o'clock news was pretty even handed. Interesting however that the issue of BAME excess deaths is being pushed hard but male excess deaths has been dropped like a stone, so for some reason the media think 15% of the population matter more than 50%. IMO until 'they' can help either group it should just be mentioned in passing

BAME groups are demanding research into why they are adversely affected by the virus. If it was 70/30 with women being the highest figure, I bet that we'd have women's groups demanding an investigation also.

Listen to the demand for men...........

Well, I’ve just watched the whole of the BBC 6.00 News and I honestly don’t know what there is to find fault with.

Could we put it to the ‘test’ sometime...all interested watch the first fif**** minutes, or perhaps the whole thirty minutes, one evening soon and collate our findings perhaps?
    Rather like a naughty child who'd been told off for being really naughty on Friday, they'd decided to behave themselves for a short while. 🙄

Why on earth has the word "****"? (I assume as its 4 stars) been bleeped?

Also we can test the theory as we have no test kits...

Surprise, surprise Sky's 41% headline story from this morning appears to have disappeared from their timeline of stories for the day.

If I was the minister giving the daily briefing and I was being questioned about how I was doing my job, I wouldn't be able to resist saying to the questioner 'after your agency run that particular load of crap, I don't know how you have the nerve to have a go at me'

How the BBC on Friday and Sky today, had the nerve to put questions to the government, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Surprise, surprise Sky's 41% headline story from this morning appears to have disappeared from their timeline of stories for the day.

If I was the minister giving the daily briefing and I was being questioned about how I was doing my job, I wouldn't be able to resist saying to the questioner 'after your agency run that particular load of crap, I don't know how you have the nerve to have a go at me'

How the BBC on Friday and Sky today, had the nerve to put questions to the government, I don't know.
    The whole of the discussion we've been having suggests to me that, on balance, trust in the media to tell a well researched and balanced story just isn't there any more

Brendan O'Neill
    11 mins

In the UK right now, we have a government trying it's best to tackle a novel new virus and inevitably making some mistakes.
    And we have a public trying its best to socially distance and inevitably making some mistakes.
    And then we have the media elites sneering at us all.
    Raging against the government if it takes any kind of misstep and wagging its finger at any member of the public who dares to go for a second jog or who dares to pop into Tesco Metro for some tinnies at 10pm.
    Journalists have no idea how much they are loathed right now.
    Someone should tell them.

Get that man a coconut or goldfish.

There's far too much point scoring, trying to cause the politicians to trip up or drop a sensationalist headline. It's counter productive, wastes people's time on worrying about whether *insert news outlet here* is going to demand their resignation, so accountability is eroded to protect individuals employment. Potentially useful press conferences where we should be able to seek information and discuss concerns, start with the politicians immediately putting their defences up, therefore we get a shirade. Its a shame in a crisis like this, as we should all be singing from the same sheet. But hey, me and my leftie views!

I stopped following it all a couple of years ago, so only see it in chunks where it comes on the radio or the wife's watching it when I'm in the room. I can honestly say it's one of the best choices I made for my sanity.

I blame the advent of 24 hour / multiple news bulletins. If they only had 20 minutes to update you on the news, you'd get all the information you needed without all the crap that goes with it. Instead they try to fill far too much time, with nothing useful to actually report

Ready for my new rant about the media?

Some significant news had emerged over night, which should be widely published. The Lancet has published the very welcome figures that from test results from the Newcastle NHS, that frontline staff are just a little LESS likely to have contracted the virus, compared with clerical staff with no exposure, in any way, to patients.

This should be headline news, especially for those frontline staff, who must be worried sick. Has anyone heard of this article? Put it like this if the tests had shown that frontline staff were more likely to have contracted the virus, you can imagine which story would have led the news this morning.

The Guardian this morning is running an article this morning about the poor mental health in 50% of the frontline staff. Talk about hypocrisy, they and their media friends are constantly whipping up the hysteria levels about the dangers of their job and suppressing any opposing FACTS.

Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)