+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and the Media

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    There's far too much point scoring, trying to cause the politicians to trip up or drop a sensationalist headline. It's counter productive, wastes people's time on worrying about whether *insert news outlet here* is going to demand their resignation, so accountability is eroded to protect individuals employment. Potentially useful press conferences where we should be able to seek information and discuss concerns, start with the politicians immediately putting their defences up, therefore we get a shirade. Its a shame in a crisis like this, as we should all be singing from the same sheet. But hey, me and my leftie views!

I stopped following it all a couple of years ago, so only see it in chunks where it comes on the radio or the wife's watching it when I'm in the room. I can honestly say it's one of the best choices I made for my sanity.

I blame the advent of 24 hour / multiple news bulletins. If they only had 20 minutes to update you on the news, you'd get all the information you needed without all the crap that goes with it. Instead they try to fill far too much time, with nothing useful to actually report
    Well put, and yes rolling news and the need of the army of journalists to justify their jobs is partly to blame. Not sure your views are leftie, just pretty sensible

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Ready for my new rant about the media?

Some significant news had emerged over night, which should be widely published. The Lancet has published the very welcome figures that from test results from the Newcastle NHS, that frontline staff are just a little LESS likely to have contracted the virus, compared with clerical staff with no exposure, in any way, to patients.

This should be headline news, especially for those frontline staff, who must be worried sick. Has anyone heard of this article? Put it like this if the tests had shown that frontline staff were more likely to have contracted the virus, you can imagine which story would have led the news this morning.

The Guardian this morning is running an article this morning about the poor mental health in 50% of the frontline staff. Talk about hypocrisy, they and their media friends are constantly whipping up the hysteria levels about the dangers of their job and suppressing any opposing FACTS.
    Yep, don't forget the BAME attempts to whip it up as well.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...r-for-covid-19

Love this line-
    And the analysis revealed that three London boroughs with high BAME populations - Harrow, Brent and Barnet – were also among the five local authorities with the highest death rates in hospitals and the community.

Errrrrm, maybe because they are a majority ethnic populated area?

Then there was this one-
    While it is is not yet clear why communities with proportionally higher number of BAME inhabitants appear to be dying at higher rates, one expert on public and ethnic health said that social deprivation was the strongest indicator for mortality due to an increased underlying burden of disease.

What expert? Measured against what? Living London, compared to Wales,Scotland, northern Ireland?

Talk about whip them up mass hysteria

Then the parting shot, is political point scoring to ram home social privilege and wage earning. Measured against what exactly? Kensington, or Coronation street?

.................................. AND go!
    Last edited by Trickytreesreds; 23-04-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Ready for my new rant about the media?

Some significant news had emerged over night, which should be widely published. The Lancet has published the very welcome figures that from test results from the Newcastle NHS, that frontline staff are just a little LESS likely to have contracted the virus, compared with clerical staff with no exposure, in any way, to patients.

This should be headline news, especially for those frontline staff, who must be worried sick. Has anyone heard of this article? Put it like this if the tests had shown that frontline staff were more likely to have contracted the virus, you can imagine which story would have led the news this morning.

The Guardian this morning is running an article this morning about the poor mental health in 50% of the frontline staff. Talk about hypocrisy, they and their media friends are constantly whipping up the hysteria levels about the dangers of their job and suppressing any opposing FACTS.
    TTR will be RIGHT across this one later, but yes you're right its another example of 'agenda first, balance view be-*******sed' and I'm please so many see through it

Too late Andy

Also, the media's take on yesterday's briefing. How has, some controls will have to remain in place into next year, meaning no pop concerts etc, turned into LOCKDOWN TO CONTINUE INTO 2021?

Nope...just watched the BBC News again. Absolutely no bias, imo.

Weather forecast suggested the possibility of showers at the weekend though....damned Lefty doom mongers.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 23-04-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

Weather forecast suggested the possibility of showers at the weekend though....damned Lefty doom mongers.
    Did they feature the Lancet article, that the front line are in no more danger than their clerical staff?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

Don't waste your time with them Anag get not one of them can tell us why America had 67% BAME rates deaths from Coronus. Well expert Tricky will be able to tell us it's because there's more of them ffs

Did they feature the Lancet article, that the front line are in no more danger than their clerical staff?
    Erm...well, tbh, I missed the first five minutes...and I didn’t know I was going to be tested. Didn’t think we had enough of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Don't waste your time with them Anag get not one of them can tell us why America had 67% BAME rates deaths from Coronus. Well expert Tricky will be able to tell us it's because there's more of them ffs
    Just like none of you lefties can tell us why 70% of those dying are male.

Then again 1,000s of scientists all over the world are asking the same questions.

Another quirk I read today, in a certain age group 30% of French people are regular smokers and in that same group, only 4.4% of Covid deaths are smokers. So your 7x.more likely to die, if you don't smoke.

As I've previously said, the scientists are looking at all these statistics, trying to unlock the code.

Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)