+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and the Media

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Don't waste your time with them Anag get not one of them can tell us why America had 67% BAME rates deaths from Coronus. Well expert Tricky will be able to tell us it's because there's more of them ffs
    So what are you suggesting?
    Is it the black plague now? Like AIDS was described as the gay plague?

Yet HIV infected hetro***uals, just as easily. Turns out the gay community, being highly promiscuous, was fuelling the fire.
    Now this is a virus. It doesn't discriminate on skin colour/ ***/height/ ***ual preferences.
    The weak and infirm are the most at risk, we know that when it is contracted.

But it is still a virus, so why do Ethnics make up more infected?
    You answer it if you can.
    I doubt its got bugger all to do with how much money you have in the bank.
    Probably more to do, in your own social activities and what state your bodies in.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Erm...well, tbh, I missed the first five minutes...and I didn’t know I was going to be tested. Didn’t think we had enough of them.
    I suspect it wasn't there, like it hasn't featured anywhere. Do you honestly think that if the report stated that front line staff were 30% more likely to contract the virus, then the media would have been all over it?

In fact, I find the figures astonishing and very news worthy, but unfortunately, they don't help in attacking the government and so are ignored.

ITV actually had a slot praising the cleaners and porters in the NHS, claiming that they were in so much danger, when the figures in the Lancet proved otherwise.

Statistically, the TFL bus drivers have suffered a much higher proportion of deaths, but they seem to get little attention. Why hasn't Khan held to task how he has failed to protect his staff couldn't be that he's Labour by any chance?

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Retired people are apparently more likely to die. So if I retired tomorrow, would I be any more likely to die? If rA went back to work (from home of course) would he improve his life expectancy. You can manipulate them to tell you anything you want them to, for media attention. More men die? Well men on average die earlier anyway, so we can ignore that, but more BAME men die - well that's newsworthy, because, erm.... they shout louder maybe? We are all people, no one death is and more or less a tragedy than any other.

The important thing is what we learn from the aberrant death patterns, not what political hay can be made. Next we will hear that the conservatives invented corona virus to carry out their islamaphobic plot to ethnically cleanse the country. I sometimes despair at the human race, trying to exploit tragedies for their own personal or political benefit - but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Is it ever thus

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Retired people are apparently more likely to die. So if I retired tomorrow, would I be any more likely to die? If rA went back to work (from home of course) would he improve his life expectancy. You can manipulate them to tell you anything you want them to, for media attention. More men die? Well men on average die earlier anyway, so we can ignore that, but more BAME men die - well that's newsworthy, because, erm.... they shout louder maybe? We are all people, no one death is and more or less a tragedy than any other.

The important thing is what we learn from the aberrant death patterns, not what political hay can be made. Next we will hear that the conservatives invented corona virus to carry out their islamaphobic plot to ethnically cleanse the country. I sometimes despair at the human race, trying to exploit tragedies for their own personal or political benefit - but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Is it ever thus
    Every day after 2pm, I'm checking my phone, hoping and praying for the figures released to show signs of reducing, not for any political reason, but in the hope that we are approaching the end.

I sometimes wonder if members of the media are hoping for the opposite, so they've got another story, another chance to grill a minister, another chance write a scary headline.

The one thing this situation has done, is bring back a sense of fun to communities and work places.
    Pity the press don't concentrate more on the feel good factor, than spite.

Well done HMP Nottingham. Class.

https://twitter.com/HMPNottingham/st...68224709398528
    Last edited by Trickytreesreds; 23-04-2020 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Well men on average die earlier anyway, so we can ignore that, but more BAME men die - well that's newsworthy, because, erm.... they shout louder maybe?
    ...and that's a fundamentally interesting question, WHY has it become newsworthy? What lurks beneath that drives the press (amongst others) to do that? It does no-one any favours, distorts issues and increasingly pisses normal folk off

It is well established that there is some correlation between certain diseases and race.
    So why should Coronavirus be treated differently
    I have no idea why a disproportionate number of BAME people seem to have died from it but they do seem to have and that is worth investigating.
    Likewise I have no idea why gender would appear to be a factor, but it does and again it’s worthy of investigating.
    If it helps reduce the death rate from Covid-19 and it helps research into the way this disease spreads then the bottom line is...it needs thorough investigation.
    What really isn’t worthy of attention is the last three or four posters on here trying to make political capital out of this crisis.
    You’re not alone in hoping the figures reduce, Ram...and while I’m sure some of the press do welcome a ‘good story’...the vast majority of folk just want it to end and that is a desire that should transcend Party politics.
    If BAME people are asking questions or ‘shouting louder’, as it has been described, then why not? Why wouldn’t they?
    We, as males, have apparently decided not to ‘shout’ out about the facts that we, by and large, die earlier and appear more prone to Covid-19. Whose fault is that?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 23-04-2020 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    It is well established that there is some correlation between certain diseases and race.
    So why should Coronavirus be treated differently
    I have no idea why a disproportionate number of BAME people seem to have died from it but they do seem to have and that is worth investigating.
    Likewise I have no idea why gender would appear to be a factor, but it does and again it’s worthy of investigating.
    If it helps reduce the death rate from Covid-19 and it helps research into the way this disease spreads then the bottom line is...it needs thorough investigation.
    What really isn’t worth attention is the last three posters on here trying to make political capital out of this crisis.
    But we aren't RA or at least I'm not, I'm pointing out that the press ARE making political capital out of it

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    But we aren't RA or at least I'm not, I'm pointing out that the press ARE making political capital out of it
    of course they are.
    But it is always the case that anything a minority throws up, the press seize on it and inflate it.
    We had all this with the black lives matter crap. I understood why it went ballistic in the US. With good reason, cops shooting non threating black males.
    But when has that happened here? Why did the attention seekers get the right to bring things to a stop here over it?
    Why did the press go to town covering it?

It's what gets folks backs up. The race card is used in so many forms it is becoming nauseating.
    It's used to get what you want(had that done to me many times), silence people, cause alarm.

But the press love it winding folks up They give platforms to the likes of Ash Sakar talking about the rising ethnic population in London by 2:1. With the wry comment "yes lads, we're winning"

If that isn't political gain, what is?

Sorry Andy...

...from Tricky’s ‘don’t forget the BAME attempts to whip it up’ and reference to ‘Ethnics’ (!), through GP’s ‘but more BAME men die - well that’s newsworthy, because, erm...they shout louder maybe’ to your own, ‘WHY has it become newsworthy...It does no one any favours, distorts issues and increasingly pisses normal folk off’...the tone on here has been dubious tonight.

I’m not sure what ‘normal folk’ means and this may just be a case of ill chosen words, but there’s an unpleasant whiff of old white guys indulging in casual racism on here tonight. I’m used to it from one source. Surprised, disappointed and hope I’m wrong where the other two are concerned.

Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)