+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 70 of 79 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and the Media

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Not sure how you reach that conclusion? On what basis and using what facts? Were either of them infected? No so if from same flat no need for masks or social distancing from each other and outside you don't need masks anyway and social distancing was observed with respect to the reporter who wasn't in the "bubble".

As for your scenario - not sure how its relevant, if one of you was infected you'd observe self isolation presumably.
    If you'd read my original post on the interview Swale, I did say that the one student said that she had been tested positive, but only had mild symptoms. So from your last comment you agree that her friend was foolish to be in shoulder to shoulder contact with her and poor for the interviewer to let it pass without comment and in fact make light of it.

The government have been poor in sending out the right message, including Bumbling Boris today, but we all have a duty, especially the media, to act responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    If you'd read my original post on the interview Swale, I did say that the one student said that she had been tested positive, but only had mild symptoms. So from your last comment you agree that her friend was foolish to be in shoulder to shoulder contact with her and poor for the interviewer to let it pass without comment and in fact make light of it.

The government have been poor in sending out the right message, including Bumbling Boris today, but we all have a duty, especially the media, to act responsibly.
    I may be wrong, but my interpretation was that she had, in the past, ‘tested positive but only had mild symptoms’.

The bigger issue surely is whether students should have been allowed to begin/return to university in places like Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool, Leeds and the two major Welsh cities. That is where there is now a massive problem and allowing it to happen was sheer irresponsible lunacy imo.

That’s how I saw it Ram, the feature seemed to validate the ‘it’s ok for us youngsters’ view. Maybe they should have been listening to the features I’ve heard today on ‘long Covid’ where mild early symptoms persist and cause long term problems

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    That’s how I saw it Ram, the feature seemed to validate the ‘it’s ok for us youngsters’ view. Maybe they should have been listening to the features I’ve heard today on ‘long Covid’ where mild early symptoms persist and cause long term problems
    Nevertheless...if we’re going to be rid of this thing...rather than lambasting the BBC for not behaving like ‘Auntie’...I repeat, don’t you think those responsible for allowing thousands of students to take up residence in Covid hit cities - whether that be R59’s ‘bumbling Boris’, the Education Secretary or the university authorities - are more worthy of being challenged?

Speaking as a parent, I would be ‘kin furious if I’d just paid for my child to go to University only to find that they were virtually immediately ‘confined to barracks’ doing ‘online learning’ in an environment far more dangerous than the one they’d left.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 29-09-2020 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Nevertheless...if we’re going to be rid of this thing...rather than lambasting the BBC for not behaving like ‘Auntie’...I repeat, don’t you think those responsible for allowing thousands of students to take up residence in Covid hit cities - whether that be R59’s ‘bumbling Boris’, the Education Secretary or the university authorities - are more worthy of being challenged?

Speaking as a parent, I would be ‘kin furious if I’d just paid for my child to go to University only to find that they were virtually immediately ‘confined to barracks’ doing ‘online learning’ in an environment far more dangerous than the one they’d left.
    Point taken RA, but as I've said we ALL have a responsibility in dealing with this virus. You, me, the government, business and the media.

In this topic, we are discussing covid and the media, I started another one for you to discuss the Government's handling of it.

Maybe, I need to start another one, covid and the general public?

Point taken RA, but as I've said we ALL have a responsibility in dealing with this virus. You, me, the government, business and the media.

In this topic, we are discussing covid and the media, I started another one for you to discuss the Government's handling of it.

Maybe, I need to start another one, covid and the general public?
    Not sure about that, Ram.

My point is that the media has to be concerned with the bigger issue...and the bigger issue is that students have been allowed or encouraged to arrive ‘en masse’ in University towns and cities to begin with...not that a couple of them had been standing too closely to one another.

What sort of muddle headed authority acknowledges the ‘rule of six’ and then ‘okays’ the idea of thousands of students moving into residential accommodation together in areas already impacted by Covid?

That is the story the media has to be most concerned with because it’s that sort of logic - or complete lack of - that is going to prolong the pandemic and illustrates the level of incompetence we are dealing with.

Another example of the total over reaction to corona. The list keeps getting longer.
    Just shield the old vulnerable and get the country back to normal FFS.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...t8eXz3jw0uQ48I

No matter what the Government say you'll always have folk disagreeing. They can't please everyone but most of the blame is with the public. It's no use some of us using common sense then a load of folk doing what they want as it isn't going to solve anything. We all know what we should be doing to help but there are to many folk just interested in having a good time and can't be arsed to help the cause. The problem won't be solved until there's a vaccine but things could be better if we all used our common sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    No matter what the Government say you'll always have folk disagreeing. They can't please everyone but most of the blame is with the public. It's no use some of us using common sense then a load of folk doing what they want as it isn't going to solve anything. We all know what we should be doing to help but there are to many folk just interested in having a good time and can't be arsed to help the cause. The problem won't be solved until there's a vaccine but things could be better if we all used our common sense!
    Yep spot on. Amazing how dismissive people are owing to their perceived odds, good job they don't work in aviation!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    No matter what the Government say you'll always have RamAnag disagreeing. They can't please everyone but most of the blame is with the public. It's no use some of us using common sense then a load of folk doing what they want as it isn't going to solve anything. We all know what we should be doing to help but there are too many folk just interested in having a good time and can't be arsed to help the cause. The problem won't be solved until there's a vaccine but things could be better if we all used our common sense!
    The sad thing is that it's not the irresponsible ones that are dying. Added another person I know to the list of fatalities today. 😢

Page 70 of 79 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)