+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and the Media

Covid 19 and the Media

What's everyone's take on how the media have performed during this crisis?

Whilst I don't expect them to act as a propaganda mouthpiece for the government, I expect them to show a little responsibility when reporting on the issue.

It seems to me that when we need a balanced view for our own feeling of well being, all they are promoting is sensationalist scaremongering.

Take the last few days for example. The BBC ran all day with the headlines of an NHS Trust director, no such position, ringing them up for Burbery's phone number. Have they not got Google, didn't it sound a bit suspicious? Why didn't they make the most basic checks before running the headline?

Today's news from the ONS is that the death figures are higher when including those outside hospital, 41% say Sky and 40% the Sun, for God's sake, check your facts, those figures include deaths in care homes not related to the virus.

We have Morgan grilling ministers on the TV, why don't they ask him about unnecessary travel, why doesn't he present the show from home, why do they need 2 people to do what ones person could do?

At times like this the media have a responsibility to question the government but they shall have a responsibility to the public not to just make more and more sensational headlines.

You would think that some of them are actually enjoying this global crisis.

The media and social media have huge responsibilities in times like these. Sadly they haven't come up to the mark in my view, more interested in the story than the problem and seeming to be revelling in it. I guess that now the brexit debate has quietened down they need something to make mischief with: sadly its peoples lives and futures at stake.

I think the performance of the media has been much the same as the Government’s...very hit and miss.

The obsession of some with, ‘when will the lockdown end and when will things return to normal’ has been pitiful and repetitive...a question that no minister can possibly answer at the moment.
    Likewise some of the ‘stories’ that have been reported on have been almost gratuitous in their desire to promote an emotional, and ultimately unhelpful, response amongst their readers/watchers/listeners.

On the positive side...we are living in the 21st century, the era of instant communication. I don’t want to wait for the facts to come out in years to come so that we may only judge the current performance from the vantage point of hindsight. IF things are being done wrong now, and it would appear that some are, I want the responsible media to identify and question it now so that things can be put right.

More Norman Smith and Fergus Walsh...less Victoria Derbyshire and Adam Boulton please.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 21-04-2020 at 12:54 PM.

I think the way out is reasonably obvious to most with a reasonable brain. Any return to "normality" will be a step by step (baby steps at that) move to open up society on a suck it and see basis. Small return to normal. Watch over 3 to 4 weeks what happens. No huge 2nd wave? Then open up a bit more for 3 to 4 weeks. Still no 2nd wave......... wash, rinse, repeat.

It will be the stats that signal the start of any easing of restrictions. Given a period of ever lower numbers catching CV-19, ever lower numbers of hospital admissions, of the numbers in ICU and of the death toll, step 1 will be taken. It won't only be, or shouldn't be IMO in any case, UK stats. If another country that has started easing things gets hit by a 2nd wave, we need to, very quickly as well, look at why a 2nd wave started there and, if we are less than 100% certain that our measures won't allow a 2nd wave here, we should immediatley reinstate the lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I think the way out is reasonably obvious to most with a reasonable brain. Any return to "normality" will be a step by step (baby steps at that) move to open up society on a suck it and see basis. Small return to normal. Watch over 3 to 4 weeks what happens. No huge 2nd wave? Then open up a bit more for 3 to 4 weeks. Still no 2nd wave......... wash, rinse, repeat.

It will be the stats that signal the start of any easing of restrictions. Given a period of ever lower numbers catching CV-19, ever lower numbers of hospital admissions, of the numbers in ICU and of the death toll, step 1 will be taken. It won't only be, or shouldn't be IMO in any case, UK stats. If another country that has started easing things gets hit by a 2nd wave, we need to, very quickly as well, look at why a 2nd wave started there and, if we are less than 100% certain that our measures won't allow a 2nd wave here, we should immediatley reinstate the lockdown.
    That Maddy I very much agree with.

Folks here though, need to understand that ultimately. This virus has to run its course and that means nearly everyone will/or should come into contact with it at some point. It's the only way we can stop this happening again at this level.
    The Johnson bad advice of herd protection was a bit harsh. But long term it is correct. There will be no magic "cure". Just better control.
    As Swale says, just add it to the list of ailments that ultimately will cull the old/weak/infirm every year.
    Sounds harsh, but hey nature is.

Yes, but the subject matter of the thread is how the media has responded!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    more interested in the story than the problem and seeming to be revelling in it. I guess that now the brexit debate has quietened down they need something to make mischief with: sadly its peoples lives and futures at stake.
    Precisely

I had need to sit in the room our TVs in for most of Sunday and Monday, my observations include

Any negative issue no matter how small is repeated again and again and again with no further insight provided. The only difference is usually the ‘chief correspondent’ doing the soothesaying

The Burberry thing was done to death AND sensationalised to the extent the newscasters had to formally correct an earlier claim

BBC have, I suspect, moved Andy Moore, a guy who could depress you if he was wishing you happy birthday, front and centre in summary reporting, a tactic they’ve used before

Twice during the two days a talking head who provided a positive spin on thing was dropped from subsequent repeats and only the responding, negative, opinion aired.

I’m beyond even thinking there’s a political agenda at play, it has to be that the more they spin the safer their jobs

I’m beyond even thinking there’s a political agenda at play, it has to be that the more they spin the safer their jobs

Yes, but that is still politics, even if it's internal to suit their employer

Well, I’ve just watched the whole of the BBC 6.00 News and I honestly don’t know what there is to find fault with.

Informative, objective, unbiased and well presented imo.

Could we put it to the ‘test’ sometime...all interested watch the first fif**** minutes, or perhaps the whole thirty minutes, one evening soon and collate our findings perhaps?

What time is the BBC 6.00 news on? I don't finish work til 19:30 and sure as hell not getting up at 06:00

Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)