+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: On this day - possibly our greatest day ever

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The 46k at Man U is my record too, not counting the play off final v Brighton. I've been at Wembley with 100,000 when there was still standing areas.

34,208 v Aston Villa (1971/72) was the biggest ML gate in the Sirrel era and hasn't been bettered since. A few games against Fword and an FA cup tie v Leeds came close within the next five years. The game against Man Utd in 1975 however was only 17,320, many Notts fans probably staying home because the violence was expected, though we had also lost the momentum that season and Masson had left.

9th April 1977 was the last time we had a 30k plus crowd (v Fword).
    18th Jan 1992 was the last 20k plus crowd (v Man Utd), I dare say we might have topped 30k that day had we had the capacity to do so, we should have won that game too.
    So mate, what about the game against Liverpool? What I remember most about that game is Gary Ablett spent most of the time passing it back to the keeper. Bored the arse off me.
    ps. Any more quizzes coming up? I'm running out of shelves to put up.
    Last edited by navypie; 25-04-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    So mate, what about the game against Liverpool? What I remember most about that game is Gary Ablett spent most of the time passing it back to the keeper. Bored the arse off me.
    ps. Any more quizzes coming up? I'm running out of shelves to put up.
    Surprisingly we didn't top 20k for any of the four games against Liverpool 1981-91.
    16,051 v Liverpool in 1991 when Souness intimidated the ref at HT into giving them a soft penalty to win it. That would have been the last season in which you could pass it back to the keeper. Looking back, I think that rule only changed because live TV coverage had replaced highlights during the previous 8 years, the TV audience demanded more action on the pitch. We forget now that the boring passages of play was the cue for the crowd to become the focus and for the home and away ends to trade chants. The crowd seems less important today because the game has speeded up so much and there's usually something going on at pitch level to take your attention away from the stands.

As for the quiz, I'm running out of sensible questions that aren't too easy but I'll do another one on Monday.

Surprisingly we didn't top 20k for any of the four games against Liverpool 1981-91.
    16,051 v Liverpool in 1991 when Souness intimidated the ref at HT into giving them a soft penalty to win it. That would have been the last season in which you could pass it back to the keeper. Looking back, I think that rule only changed because live TV coverage had replaced highlights during the previous 8 years, the TV audience demanded more action on the pitch. We forget now that the boring passages of play was the cue for the crowd to become the focus and for the home and away ends to trade chants. The crowd seems less important today because the game has speeded up so much and there's usually something going on at pitch level to take your attention away from the stands.

As for the quiz, I'm running out of sensible questions that aren't too easy but I'll do another one on Monday.
    That's why I must remember that game for the back passes. Never liked Souness. Did we have Bob Catlin in goal when the new rule was introduced? I remember a big 'whoooooooooooooooa! when he went to kick it?

Last edited by navypie; 25-04-2020 at 08:14 PM.

The 46k at Man U is my record too, not counting the play off final v Brighton. I've been at Wembley with 100,000 when there was still standing areas.
    I was also among the 39,000 that witnessed an Alan Durban hattrick against us in a 6-0 drubbing in the FA Cup 4th round in 1972. I also went to Watford for the 3rd round tie, although that only attracted 13,000.
    Last edited by Jeekay56; 25-04-2020 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Can't spell attracted, err, yes I can!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    I was also among the 39,000 that witnessed an Alan Durban hattrick against us in a 6-0 drubbing in the FA Cup 4th round in 1972. I also went to Watford for the 3rd round tie, although that only attracted 13,000.
    I went to the Baseball Ground with four mates from work, all Derby fans, to witness that thrashing. I have fond memories of the trip to Watford though. I seem to remember John Cozens got a couple of goals in our 4-1 win.

Quote Originally Posted by LilCrazyKim View Post
    Granted by the time I remember the old Meadow Lane the original Lane End had gone, but I still struggle to picture how you'd have fit 46,000 people in there (and even more for the York match 5 years later). I remember playing Man U in early 1992 in front of 21,000 and it feeling cramped enough.
    Kids ended up sitting on the track around the pitch at the York Match. The players looked huge when I was sat on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    That 6-0 was bleddy painful to watch!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234