+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sheffield/ hallamshire county cup

Sheffield/ hallamshire county cup

Just read the cup was missing out of oakwell trophy cabinet nearly 20 years ago when needed for an exhibition last won by Barnsley in 1993 ,it turned up on Ebay and went for £2000 a fraction of what it was worth bought by football historian Martin westby. Apparently it was the "Holy Grail " of lost football trophies according to expert Chris Eyre. It's back at the FA who refunded Martin

Whodunnit part of Ridsdale pay off !!

On this subject Roma My recollection is that around late 50's it was competed for pre season & I seem to recall it was referred to as the County Cup but I may be mistaken
    Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    On this subject Roma My recollection is that around late 50's it was competed for pre season & I seem to recall it was referred to as the County Cup but I may be mistaken
    Any idea?
    You could be correct there Exile , my recollection is that it was pre season , I also don't remember it being referred to as the Sheffield & Hallamshire cup ? It may have ? But i always knew it as the County Cup, sometimes used for trialists , i remember going to Millmoor to watch us midweek , we had a trialist from Benburb Scotland , he was absolutely outstanding , he was signed immediately , the lads name Ally Millar , he turned out to be pretty good for us ,

The thread title says it all with only teams in the Sheffield/ hallamshire area playing for it

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    You could be correct there Exile , my recollection is that it was pre season , I also don't remember it being referred to as the Sheffield & Hallamshire cup ? It may have ? But i always knew it as the County Cup, sometimes used for trialists , i remember going to Millmoor to watch us midweek , we had a trialist from Benburb Scotland , he was absolutely outstanding , he was signed immediately , the lads name Ally Millar , he turned out to be pretty good for us ,
    Thanks for that Roma

Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    The thread title says it all with only teams in the Sheffield/ hallamshire area playing for it
    Am not disagreeing Dools