+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Research on lockdown flouting

Research on lockdown flouting

The following was in the Spectator today:

"Who’s flouting lockdown rules? King’s College London identifies three distinct attitudes and responses to the lockdown among the UK population: the accepting, the suffering and the resisting. The accepting are following the rules, favourable to the government and report being less likely to lose their job. The suffering are feeling anxious, losing sleep and think the government acted too slowly – and they’re following the rules too. But among the resisting – who make up 9 per cent of the population, were twice as likely to vote Labour than Conservative at the last election and are almost two-thirds male with an average age of 29 – just 49 per cent are following the rules. Almost three in five of them think that ‘too much fuss’ is being made about coronavirus, and almost half think Covid-19 was created in a lab."

I guess I'm an "accepting"

rA sounds like a "suffering"

Does anyone identify as "resisting" or know anyone that does? Now 2/3rds of this group are male, so this may go a long way to explaining the above average male deaths/infections?

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/policy-institu...r-analysis.pdf

The detail is fascinating

Here's a surprise. If you are a "resister" you are 15 times more likely to have had a confirmed case of covid. Now it could be that if you have already had it, you feel you are immune and more likely to resist. Which is cause, which is effect? And what does it say about our social kindnesses - Ive had it so I will wander around maybe infected others, but I dont care?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    The following was in the Spectator today:

"Who’s flouting lockdown rules? King’s College London identifies three distinct attitudes and responses to the lockdown among the UK population: the accepting, the suffering and the resisting. The accepting are following the rules, favourable to the government and report being less likely to lose their job. The suffering are feeling anxious, losing sleep and think the government acted too slowly – and they’re following the rules too. But among the resisting – who make up 9 per cent of the population, were twice as likely to vote Labour than Conservative at the last election and are almost two-thirds male with an average age of 29 – just 49 per cent are following the rules. Almost three in five of them think that ‘too much fuss’ is being made about coronavirus, and almost half think Covid-19 was created in a lab."

I guess I'm an "accepting"

rA sounds like a "suffering"

Does anyone identify as "resisting" or know anyone that does? Now 2/3rds of this group are male, so this may go a long way to explaining the above average male deaths/infections?
    My 3 sons and their partners are all in that age group, but none of them are resisting as far as I know. Besides the high death toll in males is in those at least twice their age. So I don't think that there's a link.

I think there is resisting and there is RESISTING. RESISTING is those who are carrying on as before. I have been guilty of resisting by happening to take the dog for a walk at the same time as my elderly single neighbour, on a few occasions. However, I feel that I'm being responsible in the fact we're outdoors and always keep a minimum of 2m, usually more, apart.

The question for the government is, 'can they trust the public to be sensible this time?'

Many shops and businesses could open, if you can trust people to be sensible, but that's a big if.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    My 3 sons and their partners are all in that age group, but none of them are resisting as far as I know. Besides the high death toll in males is in those at least twice their age. So I don't think that there's a link.

I think there is resisting and there is RESISTING. RESISTING is those who are carrying on as before. I have been guilty of resisting by happening to take the dog for a walk at the same time as my elderly single neighbour, on a few occasions. However, I feel that I'm being responsible in the fact we're outdoors and always keep a minimum of 2m, usually more, apart.

The question for the government is, 'can they trust the public to be sensible this time?'

Many shops and businesses could open, if you can trust people to be sensible, but that's a big if.
    My immediate family of 9, 7 accepting and I'm guessing 2 (elderly inlaws) suffering

Lots of bending of the rules round here though, for instance my next door neighbours and my next door but two neighbours who are part of the same family are visiting each others houses daily which I can sort of deal with from an isolation POV as they are all isolating within that extended group. Doesn't set a good example though

Main issue round here is our road has become a drag strip (our house is in a 30mph area but just within sight of the National Speed Limit sign). Note local news of a fatal hit and run on saturday eve in Risley, I intend to call the police later as I think I saw the start of that death run if my eyeballing of the car make is correct

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    My immediate family of 9, 7 accepting and I'm guessing 2 (elderly inlaws) suffering

Lots of bending of the rules round here though, for instance my next door neighbours and my next door but two neighbours who are part of the same family are visiting each others houses daily which I can sort of deal with from an isolation POV as they are all isolating within that extended group. Doesn't set a good example though

Main issue round here is our road has become a drag strip (our house is in a 30mph area but just within sight of the National Speed Limit sign). Note local news of a fatal hit and run on saturday eve in Risley, I intend to call the police later as I think I saw the start of that death run if my eyeballing of the car make is correct
    I agree with you on the road thing. Last Friday I was making my way to the chemists, and 3 different junctions a car just pulled straight out at speed without looking. This could be dodgy when the traffic returns

I am keeping to the Dutch instructions. It makes sense. With just a few exceptions, the shops are open, so are garden centres, DIY stores too. They all have strict limits on how many people are allowed inside at any one time. Each customer has to have a minimum of 10 square metres of space meaning a store with a floor space of 1000m2 may have a max of 100 customers at any one time. They have a number of trolleys available. When all are in use you queue and wait for one to become free. Before you can have it, it is disinfected by a staff member. Once inside the store people are obeying the social distancing rules. Many stores have introduced a 1 way system to help customers socially distance.

I got some light relief yesterday when I got to DJ for 45 minutes for the local radio station. It was also live from the studio roof on TV and a live stream on internet. Playing to the expected audience the set was a mix of Rock, Pop, Twotone, Soul and Carolina Beach Music. We kept suitably socially distanced and the session, from 1200 till 2000, was authorised by the council. All the other DJs were somewhat younger than me and they all played stuff with that repetitive bass beat that seems to be in most music these days.

For those interested in that sort of thing, here's the set list. Those not interested please feel free to ignore the list.

Amii Stewart Knock on wood
    Blondie Hanging on the telephone
    Beat Hands off she's mine
    Billy Idol White wedding
    Cheap trick I want you to want me
    Gloria Gaynor I will survive
    Melba Moore This is it
    Present Many's the slip
    Little Richard A little bit of something
    Farlowe Chris Out of time
    Creedence Clearwater Revival Proud Mary
    Jones Gloria Tainted love
    Ethics Look at me now
    Galla Tony In love
    Mighty Typhoons Ft. Beulah Enser I'm Com'un home in the morn'un
    Drifters Up on the roof

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I am keeping to the Dutch instructions. It makes sense. With just a few exceptions, the shops are open, so are garden centres, DIY stores too. They all have strict limits on how many people are allowed inside at any one time. Each customer has to have a minimum of 10 square metres of space meaning a store with a floor space of 1000m2 may have a max of 100 customers at any one time. They have a number of trolleys available. When all are in use you queue and wait for one to become free. Before you can have it, it is disinfected by a staff member. Once inside the store people are obeying the social distancing rules. Many stores have introduced a 1 way system to help customers socially distance.

I got some light relief yesterday when I got to DJ for 45 minutes for the local radio station. It was also live from the studio roof on TV and a live stream on internet. Playing to the expected audience the set was a mix of Rock, Pop, Twotone, Soul and Carolina Beach Music. We kept suitably socially distanced and the session, from 1200 till 2000, was authorised by the council. All the other DJs were somewhat younger than me and they all played stuff with that repetitive bass beat that seems to be in most music these days.

For those interested in that sort of thing, here's the set list. Those not interested please feel free to ignore the list.

Amii Stewart Knock on wood
    Blondie Hanging on the telephone
    Beat Hands off she's mine
    Billy Idol White wedding
    Cheap trick I want you to want me
    Gloria Gaynor I will survive
    Melba Moore This is it
    Present Many's the slip
    Little Richard A little bit of something
    Farlowe Chris Out of time
    Creedence Clearwater Revival Proud Mary
    Jones Gloria Tainted love
    Ethics Look at me now
    Galla Tony In love
    Mighty Typhoons Ft. Beulah Enser I'm Com'un home in the morn'un
    Drifters Up on the roof
    No Dutch music?

Is there a stream for your set?

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    No Dutch music?
    Only from the last DJ who played from 7 till 8. Again it was mainly "modern" music with that thumping bass beat which doesn't appeal to me. Having said that the Mighty Typhoons (a very good band who split a year after releasing the single, due to "musical differences") were an Amsterdam outfit. The bass player is a good friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Is there a stream for your set?
    Not yet Andy. I also made a slight error in the setlist. Scratch Billy idol and replace with INXS - New Sensation.

I don't know if the full 8 hours will be put up for replay at some time but I was told they would be sending me photos taken and a video copy of my set which I will post on Youtube and put a link up so that anybody who wants to have a listen/look may do so. Those not wishing to may simply ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    No Dutch music?
    Is that a general comment or just an observation on the set list?

I was quite partial to a little Focus what is beginning to feel like about a century ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)