+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Book recommendations

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons, very funny.

Any of the Jeeves and Wooster or Blandings books by P.G.Wodehouse. Read them with a gentle smile on your face.

The Hornblower series by C.S.Forester. Thrash the Frenchies and wave the Union Jack.

John Wyndham for thoughtful science fiction.

Best of the lot are the Flashman books by George McDonald Fraser. Very, very funny and factually accurate. The stories are of a cowardly "hero" and his rise through the ranks of the British Army during the reign of Victoria.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartlett's Dust View Post
    Plenty of spare time at the moment so I've got back into my reading, a few recommendations below for ones I have read recently and were good. If anyone has any recommendations please add.

Don Winslow - The Border
    Like Narcos the novel, very detailed, violent and descriptive.

Blake Crouch - Dark Matter
    Sci-fi thriller from the author of the Wayward Pines books.

Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian
    a western but not a typical western, very graphic and violent known as one of the most shocking books ever written.

John Niven - Kill Your Friends
    Like an Indie version of American Psycho.

Daniel Keyes - Flowers for Algernon
    Classic book, one of the only ones I've read twice.

Iain Banks - The Wasp Factory
    Only book I've read without a break.

A few I have downloaded today and will probably read over the next week or so.

Shane Stadler - Exoskeleton
    Similar to 1984 apparently, free on Kindle Unlimited.

Iris Chang - The Rape of Nanking
    About the atrocities against the Chinese by Japanese soldiers in 1937.

Robert Bolano - 2666
    One of the best books of the noughties, nearly a 1,000 pages long.
    Blood Meridian is probably my favourite book. Read it multiple times. It's really hard to explain to someone who hasn't read it what it's all about.

Kafka on the shore.

Try Wilbur Smith his books about Africa are a good read

Some very interesting choices that I must look for on Amazon.For the last year or two I have been reading my way through the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett I would recommend them for a lighthearted read. Pratchetts humour tends to be subtle rather than laugh out loud, in fact his books aimed at younger readers such as Truckers,Dodger & Wee Free Men are very funny but especially with Discworld novels it helps if you read them in the correct order.

My lockdown choices have been Arnhem, slightly hard going but great if you like your military history. Five, the story of the victims of Jack the Ripper, absolutely fantastic, more of a social history of late 19th century Britain than the enigmatic serial killer.

More recently, The Whisper Man, highly recommended but bang average in my opinion. Finally, I’m a bit into Dead Man’s Trousers, Irvine Welsh’s latest book about the Trainspotting crew. Fantastic so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    Some very interesting choices that I must look for on Amazon.For the last year or two I have been reading my way through the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett I would recommend them for a lighthearted read. Pratchetts humour tends to be subtle rather than laugh out loud, in fact his books aimed at younger readers such as Truckers,Dodger & Wee Free Men are very funny but especially with Discworld novels it helps if you read them in the correct order.
    Love Discworld! Such a clever writer on many different levels.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Love Discworld! Such a clever writer on many different levels.
    Mort was a favourite. For fans of Pratchett I would recommend the work of Robert Rankin, Sprout Mask Replica, Armageddon the Musical and the Brentford Trilogy etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    Mort was a favourite. For fans of Pratchett I would recommend the work of Robert Rankin, Sprout Mask Replica, Armageddon the Musical and the Brentford Trilogy etc.
    Cheers for those!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    My lockdown choices have been Arnhem, slightly hard going but great if you like your military history. Five, the story of the victims of Jack the Ripper, absolutely fantastic, more of a social history of late 19th century Britain than the enigmatic serial killer.

More recently, The Whisper Man, highly recommended but bang average in my opinion. Finally, I’m a bit into Dead Man’s Trousers, Irvine Welsh’s latest book about the Trainspotting crew. Fantastic so far.
    A friend of mine goes to Arnhem every September for the reunion, his grandad was killed there. He's asked me several times if I fancy going . I was this year. Unbroken is better than the film.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast