+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Will the EPL have lost its momentum

Will the EPL have lost its momentum

Probably not a good idea to finish the season but to be fair to the Clubs,particularly those in or around the top or bottom 6 I can't see any other option.We also need to be fair to the Clubs in the Championship and Leagues 1 & 2.

However,just to try and pick up from where we left off,particularly without spectators will seem very odd.Most of the Clubs and players will have lost their momentum not to mention the supporters watching on TV.

Hopefully by the time the new season kicks off the crowds will be allowed back but even that is now looking doubtful.

Possibly Barrie.

If, for instance, Liverpool clinch their first title for 30 years in front of an empty stadium, it will take a lot of gloss off the celebrations.
    On a related note, will the Scousers descend en masse on Anfield and keep the social distancing rules?

I really worry for the non-Prem clubs who simply couldn't survive without spectators or sponsorship.
    Behind closed doors matches would not be possible for them. The players, if playing, would want paying. But if the club has no revenue then how would that work?

It seems like their only option is to furlough all staff, management and players until the fans are let back in - probably well into next year.

Can any one else come up for a solution for them?

Come on lads ,a blind man can see that football will be played in empty stadiums for the rest of this year if not longer.. In fact you will be lucky if there is any football at all before at least September..

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

Can any one else come up for a solution for them?
    Assuming the PL finishes the season and they get the full TV money they're due, each PL club could adopt a couple of lower division clubs and sub them their missing gate money, or pay their wage bill, from the TV money. Just for instance Accrington Stanley's wage bill last season was £1.7 million, we picked up well over £100 million TV money, we could pay their wages and and one or two others at that level and hardly notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Assuming the PL finishes the season and they get the full TV money they're due, each PL club could adopt a couple of lower division clubs and sub them their missing gate money, or pay their wage bill, from the TV money. Just for instance Accrington Stanley's wage bill last season was £1.7 million, we picked up well over £100 million TV money, we could pay their wages and and one or two others at that level and hardly notice the difference.
    Assumption is the mother of all phook ups..

Nice idea Sinkov, but if you consider the Championship clubs, their bills will be much higher. I know that some of them have wealthy owners who may dig deeper into their pockets but this won't work for all.
    Are the 72 non-Prem teams, and many more in lower leagues, worth saving from the Governments point of view? From an economic point of view, probably not. It depends if the Government consider them as v1tal community assets, which for many they are.

If I was a staunch Morecambe fan I would be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post
    Probably not a good idea to finish the season but to be fair to the Clubs,particularly those in or around the top or bottom 6 I can't see any other option.We also need to be fair to the Clubs in the Championship and Leagues 1 & 2.

However,just to try and pick up from where we left off,particularly without spectators will seem very odd.Most of the Clubs and players will have lost their momentum not to mention the supporters watching on TV.

Hopefully by the time the new season kicks off the crowds will be allowed back but even that is now looking doubtful.
    It will be very strange.

And hard to get back into as I'm sure some fans have lost enthusiasm during lock-down and have not missed football very much at all.

Which probably goes for most sport.

Toilet paper and cheap petrol have taken over.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Nice idea Sinkov, but if you consider the Championship clubs, their bills will be much higher. I know that some of them have wealthy owners who may dig deeper into their pockets but this won't work for all.
    Are the 72 non-Prem teams, and many more in lower leagues, worth saving from the Governments point of view? From an economic point of view, probably not. It depends if the Government consider them as v1tal community assets, which for many they are.

If I was a staunch Morecambe fan I would be worried.
    I know it's a non starter 59, and you can't expect PL clubs to be bailing out top end Championship clubs, but they shouldn't need bailing out, they have enough scope to cut back on their wage budget if they're in danger of going under, and there is no doubt that it's wages that will be the problem for the top two divisions. Nevertheless there is enough money swilling about at the top level in football to ensure the survival of all clubs during this crisis, of course it won't be used for that, but this is for football to sort out, if I were in government I wouldn't want a penny of taxpayers money spent on football while the game itself has more than enough to guarantee the survival of all.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)