+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Almost Worst In Europe - Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    Hey Al. Hope you're on the mend chap. Have to agree about Thomas Cook. I see BA want a bailout as well despite the holding group sitting on a cash mountain. They should have gone to the wall years ago as they really are cr*p. This virus has highlighted the fact that several industries like airlines and football for too long have run out of date business models that need massive correction. They aren't sustainable in tough times and it didn't take long for them to get found out.

Bang on there Stripes! Both football and airlines are out of date business models and as you quite rightly say and many are now getting wise! Package holidays will get less demand when the older generation die off as it's cheaper to book a flight via skyscanner and make your own arrangements with hotels/cars etc. The greed in football has turned off a lot of real football supporters and together with the virus, crowds will take a further dip when all resumes. Orzil on 350K a week rejecting a 12% pay cut - if this was one of our players, he would be abused much worse than Berahino was.

O the mend but sometimes one step forward and two steps back. Sadly, not really missing football as much as I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Bang on there Stripes! Both football and airlines are out of date business models and as you quite rightly say and many are now getting wise! Package holidays will get less demand when the older generation die off as it's cheaper to book a flight via skyscanner and make your own arrangements with hotels/cars etc. The greed in football has turned off a lot of real football supporters and together with the virus, crowds will take a further dip when all resumes. Orzil on 350K a week rejecting a 12% pay cut - if this was one of our players, he would be abused much worse than Berahino was.

O the mend but sometimes one step forward and two steps back. Sadly, not really missing football as much as I thought!
    Özil, total ****er...

Mick i do take heed and I watch the news everyday. I worry for my wife not myself. It is a serious disease. But 97%of people who get it have mild symptoms and 3%have serious or critical illness. The 3%are usually old and have underlying symptoms that they may or may not have died from.
    While the deaths are high and should not be taken flippantly, to put things in perspective over 120,000 people have died worldwide since this morning and 290,000 have been born.
    Over one million people have fully recovered from Coronavirus, but that doesn't sell newspapers.
    I have never gone through life being afraid of things. Sooner or later something will have my number, it might be this, it might not.
    Some people are going to end up with a nervous breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Mick i do take heed and I watch the news everyday. I worry for my wife not myself. It is a serious disease. But 97%of people who get it have mild symptoms and 3%have serious or critical illness. The 3%are usually old and have underlying symptoms that they may or may not have died from.
    While the deaths are high and should not be taken flippantly, to put things in perspective over 120,000 people have died worldwide since this morning and 290,000 have been born.
    Over one million people have fully recovered from Coronavirus, but that doesn't sell newspapers.
    I have never gone through life being afraid of things. Sooner or later something will have my number, it might be this, it might not.
    Some people are going to end up with a nervous breakdown.

"I have never gone through life being afraid of things" - Des - with the exception when Darren Moore announced formations and selections

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    Özil, total ****er...
    Crikey, can you imagine the size his eyes must have gone when they asked him to take a pay cut? He'd have looked like a frog with a high pressure hose up it's arse.

It's not quite as simple as it appears. If Ozil takes a pay cut, where does that money go? It goes back into the pockets of the owners, who, as with most big clubs, are foreign. Our government will see none of it. If he remains on the same money then the government gets a fair bit of it which in turn can go towards helping the NHS etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    It's not quite as simple as it appears. If Ozil takes a pay cut, where does that money go? It goes back into the pockets of the owners, who, as with most big clubs, are foreign. Our government will see none of it. If he remains on the same money then the government gets a fair bit of it which in turn can go towards helping the NHS etc.
    I was on about the size of his eyes. Couldn't really care less where his money ends up as I'm sure he'll end his life multi millions ahead of me regardless of any potential pay cut on his behalf. The poor lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    "I have never gone through life being afraid of things" - Des - with the exception when Darren Moore announced formations and selections
    A great shame about Darren he was loved here. He probably still is. But he should have realised a novice manager with absolutely no experience starts at the bottom ring. You don't take on a club like West Bromwich Albion in one of their most crucial seasons for years.
    I reckon he was cajoled into the job by the board to save a bit of money, he probably didn't get a pay rise, just a, see how it goes son.
    He wasn't strong enough to make his own decisions rightly or wrongly, instead he left it to Jones who was probably more naive than himself.
    If we had a manager like Bilic that season with the players we still had we would have p1$$ed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Crikey, can you imagine the size his eyes must have gone when they asked him to take a pay cut? He'd have looked like a frog with a high pressure hose up it's arse.
    No, I really can’t, beyond my imagination. 🤪🤣😂

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    In a way it is, in my opinion. It is also about the ”message” you send to the public, who aren’t on the same money, to put it mildly...

Ok, foreign owners don’t need more money, the same goes for PL players, foreign or not. If they promised to give the equivalence of the pay cut they refuse to charity on a monthly basis (since they are so eager to pay tax in GB...), then fine - but they would never do that, would they? Poor sods and lame excuses...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)