+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackmail

Alot of "staying with the same team, even in relegation" amounts to loyalty, I always feel that if you were part of a team that got relegated, you would do your best to get that team back up and repay them and the fans...ha-ha! Bit like the way Kevin de-bryne has already stated that because man city are banned from Europe next year he won't stay as he wants European football, selfish, disloyal ####.

On the subject of calling null and void, West ham's wonderful mouth almighty Karen Brady was 1st in the queue weeks ago to call it trying to save her wretched season, also Brighton have a difficult run in so they've got a squeaky bum. On the neutral ground issue, if a team got to the fa cup semi final, as Norwich could well do, would they refuse to play it, as it's a neutral ground.....I doubt it. Money and self interest is beginning to talk.

Whatever happens,it's going to be fun and games with all the bottom six in premier wanting to finish season with no relegation..lol

Cant wait for it to play out .. Should be some good laughs and lawyers making millions over the claims cases than will happen..

During all the ifs/buts/maybe's regarding how the season will finish there is also the small matter of Derby & the Wendies to be sorted for playing financial nortys.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Whatever happens,it's going to be fun and games with all the bottom six in premier wanting to finish season with no relegation..lol

Cant wait for it to play out .. Should be some good laughs and lawyers making millions over the claims cases than will happen..
    All this bollox from Brighton and other threatened premier teams about they will only play the season out at neutral grounds as long as there is no relegation, as playing at neutral grounds disadvantages them - HOW?

Don't make me laugh!

Playing home or away or at a neutral venue - what is the differnce if there are no crowds in attendance? surely the "Advantage" of playing at home is having the crowd behind you? as these fixtures will all be behind closed doors there wont be any crowds? I struggle to understand their logic, it's obviously yet another self preservation tactic used by the teams that would likely to go down in normal circumstances...

Finish the season now, top three up, bottom three down all round - it's an act of god [Or the Chinese] that has stopped the season in it's tracks...
    Last edited by Tichi1; 07-05-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tichi1 View Post
    All this bollox from Brighton and other threatened premier teams about they will only play the season out at neutral grounds as long as there is no relegation, as playing at neutral grounds disadvantages them - HOW?

Don't make me laugh!

Playing home or away or at a neutral venue - what is the differnce if there are no crowds in attendance? surely the "Advantage" of playing at home is having the crowd behind you? as these fixtures will all be behind closed doors there wont be any crowds? I struggle to understand their logic, it's obviously yet another self preservation tactic used by the teams that would likely to go down in normal circumstances...

Finish the season now, top three up, bottom three down all round - it's an act of god [Or the Chinese] that has stopped the season in it's tracks...
    Pitch preparation for one, each team can set the size of the pitch within allowed parameters, they keep the grass long to slow down passing teams, cut it short to help them if they are a passing team. Soak the pitch to make it heavy underfoot or the opposite, numerous ways to legally get advantages from your home ground.

The majority of clubs get their points from home matches...

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    Pitch preparation for one, each team can set the size of the pitch within allowed parameters, they keep the grass long to slow down passing teams, cut it short to help them if they are a passing team. Soak the pitch to make it heavy underfoot or the opposite, numerous ways to legally get advantages from your home ground.

The majority of clubs get their points from home matches...
    Agreed, but, if its the same for both sides (i.e playing on neutral ground set up by those responsible for that ground), it might not be any teams preference, but it IS equitable

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Agreed, but, if its the same for both sides (i.e playing on neutral ground set up by those responsible for that ground), it might not be any teams preference, but it IS equitable
    I understand why people think playing neutral venues is the answer, but it really isn't a fair system. If you have a team that 17th place that has played at home against all the top 6 teams , maybe taken 1 or 2 points off them here or there, then you have a team in 18th that is still to play the to play at home against the top 6 teams but loses home advantage due to neutral venues, its not balanced.

I will repeat that if Leeds were 7th in the championship now, with several winnable home games, there is no way we would be settling for our matches to be played at neutral venues when we had a chance of getting into the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    I understand why people think playing neutral venues is the answer, but it really isn't a fair system. If you have a team that 17th place that has played at home against all the top 6 teams , maybe taken 1 or 2 points off them here or there, then you have a team in 18th that is still to play the to play at home against the top 6 teams but loses home advantage due to neutral venues, its not balanced.

I will repeat that if Leeds were 7th in the championship now, with several winnable home games, there is no way we would be settling for our matches to be played at neutral venues when we had a chance of getting into the playoffs.
    Maybe, maybe not, but if the choice was between voiding the season (as has been suggested on many occasions and in many quarters), and we were in 7th, and playing remaining games on neutral grounds, which would you go for?

What i'm getting at is that none of the options are "good" ones (if there was one, it would have been decided upon by now). Is a question of which is less bad.

For all divisions, if we are trying to find a way to finish this season before Christmas (or whenever an effective vaccine is available, which is a H£LL of a long piece of string!), the options appear to be;

1. Void season
    2. Play ALL remaining games on neutral grounds and behind closed doors with no fans (including the playoffs, whoever ends up those positions)
    3. Stop the season except for the playoff games (played at neutral grounds for both legs and final, again behind closed doors)
    4. Stop the season as is, (either with positions "as is" or on points per game basis, (I know Leeds would get promoted Alf, you don't need to comment (but you probably will!))), auto promotion for top 3 in all but the PL, relegation of bottom three

None are good for all, some are good for some, that's how the croissant crumbles, no?
    Last edited by WTF11; 07-05-2020 at 03:58 PM.

I agree with what you are saying in those circumstances, however the reality is that the clubs that are affected adversely by losing out in relegation will no doubt be really bitter and will make claims against the leagues.

Some of the clubs may have a reasonable expectation to avoid relegation if fixtures are played home & away compared to playing neutral venues, so asking them to gamble their business model on this fix, is not something I think they will ever accept.

So for me, everyone needs to sign up to it or another solution needs to be found. However throughout all the posts, I wouldn't consider any of the clubs to be blackmailing the league ( as per the topic) instead I think they are being diligent in trying to give their clubs the best chance of survival in the league.

Ideal solution, restart the league when safe to do so, push next season back to accommodate and maybe lose the mickey mouse/caraboa cup for a season to make room for a few more fixtures.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)