+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how long to compete

how long to compete

Just read that it will take us 4-5 years to be able to compete for the league title once the takeover is complete.

That seems a bit long to me. It took Man City 3 years with a massive amount of money invested but they were a disaster to start with and Hughes spent a shed load on players that were good pro's but not world class if you get what i mean.

Players like Gareth Barry, Craig Bellamy, Shaun Wright Phillips, Tal Ben Haim

I know he bought Robinho and Kompany too but he squandered a huge amount.

If city got their own man in straight away, they would have won the title within 2 years.

Pundits are saying we cant spend like City did but i disagree, the price of players will be hugely less because of the virus.

We are a mid to bottom half side at the moment, always looking to avoid the drop. We cant score for our lives, if we had a couple of strikers we would already be top 10 with the current squad.

I think, if we get rid of Bruce and get a top manager in straight away, we can challenge for silverware within 2 years NOT 5

Yes, getting in a top manager is the first thing we need to do and maybe a Director of Football, too. Hughes is another in the Bruce mould, one who was never going to be able to take them forward so we need to get shot straight away.

As for the team, straight away we need 2 strikers, 2 full backs and an attacking/creative midfielder and then go from there. I agree-5 years sounds a bit of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Yes, getting in a top manager is the first thing we need to do and maybe a Director of Football, too. Hughes is another in the Bruce mould, one who was never going to be able to take them forward so we need to get shot straight away.

As for the team, straight away we need 2 strikers, 2 full backs and an attacking/creative midfielder and then go from there. I agree-5 years sounds a bit of a stretch.
    the thing i will be most pleased to be rid of tho Zip, is the notion we are only here to make the numbers up will be gone from our games.

To actually have hope and a fair shot at turning out and looking to win

Liverpool are mighty, Manc City are not far behind. The title will be difficult, no reason why we can't win a cup within a few seasons though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    Liverpool are mighty, Manc City are not far behind. The title will be difficult, no reason why we can't win a cup within a few seasons though.
    Aye, I was thinking more in terms of cups.

As much as we have regressed during fatso's ownership, Liverpool and Man City have progressed. It'll take a while to undo 13 years of wilful neglect.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Aye, I was thinking more in terms of cups.

As much as we have regressed during fatso's ownership, Liverpool and Man City have progressed. It'll take a while to undo 13 years of wilful neglect.
    Well I think if KK with the help of SJH almost made it in a couple of seasons with the wealth of this group and their desire for success then the march there ought to be a short one.

I know and accept that there has been a lot of change and progression since KK's day but taking all into consideration I feel that this new group will be in an eager hurry for the big spoils.

I agree Pat, they won't be hanging around. They're not here to make money, it's about projecting their image and they'll want to be associated with success.

I know that doesn't guarantee anything but all we've ever wanted is a club that tries and it looks like that's what we'll be getting.

I think 4/5 seasons is about right
    Keegan had us up challenging in 4

If we are talking about the league I think 5 years is the minimum tbh....even if we ignore ffp, it'll take a fair bit of improvement before the top players join...it's still going to be exciting and winning a cup in the meantime will be more achievable...

Lets get rid of Fatty first

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)