+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Oor Jum

Tried to buy it tonight but not for the first time in my life let doon badly by DCT,they let me put the book in my basket but refused to let me oot the shop to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Tried to buy it tonight but not for the first time in my life let doon badly by DCT,they let me put the book in my basket but refused to let me oot the shop to read it.
    Apologies. You have to press the "UK" button, to tell where you are. I don't know if that helps any Gunboat?
    I'll have a word with the Digital Dept, see if I can find a United supporter in there. Sorry.

I got a bit carried away and wrote to the editor of FourFourTwo magazine:

100 Greatest Managers of All Time
    Absolutely disgusted at your elitist, broad-brush approach to this feature.
    Not a mention of Jim McLean who stayed at Dundee United for 22 years, taking the second biggest club, in the fourth biggest city, in the 29th largest country in Europe — to a European Cup semi-final and a UEFA Cup Final?
    Not important enough? Not “big” enough? Are you aware there is football outside the big-money leagues?
    Real genius management isn’t buying the best players, for the richest clubs, with the biggest crowds. It is creating something out of nothing. Dundee United, when McLean took over in 1971, was a club roughly the size of Maidstone or Spennymoor Town, with sub-3,000 crowds, who had never won a trophy. Yet he dragged them to greatness.
    Get your staffers to do some real research instead of running through the big names on Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Finan View Post

Not a mention of Jim McLean who stayed at Dundee United for 22 years, taking the second biggest club, in the fourth biggest city, in the 29th largest country in Europe — to a European Cup semi-final and a UEFA Cup Final?
    Not important enough? Not “big” enough? Are you aware there is football outside the big-money leagues?
    Real genius management isn’t buying the best players, for the richest clubs, with the biggest crowds. It is creating something out of nothing. Dundee United, when McLean took over in 1971, was a club roughly the size of Maidstone or Spennymoor Town, with sub-3,000 crowds, who had never won a trophy. Yet he dragged them to greatness.
    Get your staffers to do some real research instead of running through the big names on Wikipedia.
    Seriously Steve, he didn’t even make the top 100? Shocking stuff, TBF Bob (not Bill) Shankly should also be making that sort of list for what he managed to achieve also.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Finan View Post

BTW Steve, I additionally noted that Sir Alex was one of the donors toward his good friend and rival Jim’s statue as listed in the book. Greatness recognising greatness right there.

Nice gesture from Celtic FC as well, nothing from the club formerly known as Rangers though... 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by jjaflup22 View Post
    Nice gesture from Celtic FC as well, nothing from the club formerly known as Rangers though... 🤔
    The club formerly known as Rangers tried to poach Jim off us. Jim told them to do one.

Will need to phone for a copy as i tried again tonight but nae luck.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    The club formerly known as Rangers tried to poach Jim off us. Jim told them to do one.
    Lol, yeah I think that's the least of their problems with us! Personally I see being loathed by them as a badge of honour.

Half way through the book, love it so far, still wondering if I'll come across a glowing tribute from John Barnes the presenter? 🤣😂😄😁

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)