+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Oor Jum

Page 29 is absolutely magnificent!!!!!

I’ve been watching that ‘The Last Dance’ about Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls of the 90s (Brilliant BTW). His team mates all describe a man who in training could bully, cajole, verbally (and physically!) assault while demanding constant, absolute, utmost perfection and dedication from every single individual involved in his insatiable drive to at all times, WIN. They admit that they may not have liked him at times as a person but without him, as a team, in no way would they have achieved the heights, standards and triumphs that they attained. As a result they all reached legendary status, particularly of course the individual concerned himself, Michael Jordan.

Now, when you read that back, does it remind you of anyone closer to home in particular???

Quote Originally Posted by Skolcorner View Post
    Page 29 is absolutely magnificent!!!!!
    A picture of home, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    I’ve been watching that ‘The Last Dance’ about Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls of the 90s (Brilliant BTW). His team mates all describe a man who in training could bully, cajole, verbally (and physically!) assault while demanding constant, absolute, utmost perfection and dedication from every single individual involved in his insatiable drive to at all times, WIN. They admit that they may not have liked him at times as a person but without him, as a team, in no way would they have achieved the heights, standards and triumphs that they attained. As a result they all reached legendary status, particularly of course the individual concerned himself, Michael Jordan.

Now, when you read that back, does it remind you of anyone closer to home in particular???

You're right James. By chasing perfection we can catch excellence.

There is a mentality that I think is becoming rare. Indeed, it is almost unfashionable these days. I think it is discouraged in schools, almost seen as a personality fault. Children are told off.
    Billy Bremner had huge dose of it. Graeme Souness, Roy Keane and Claudio Gentile had it. From the Last Dance documentary, Michael Jordan had it. Andy Gray talked almost jokingly about it during his recent appearance on the Dode Fox podcast. Cristiano Ronaldo has it, but it sometimes looks like petulance.
    It is: “to win”.
    Doris describes it (in Jim) as “he tried his best at everything he did”. Which is another way of saying “win”.
    In another couple of generations’ time, I fear that no one will have it.
    It should be encouraged. It should be taught. I was at school with a laddie who I reckoned could have been a World Cup superstar. He had so much natural football talent he could have done anything he wanted in the game. Nae heart though. Too nice. Too lazy. Quit playing seriously when he was 15 after someone said boo! to him. And I bet every single one of you knew laddies like that too.
    Jim McLean drove his team on to win, every minute of every game. He would never accept 99% effort. Alex Ferguson was like that too as a manager, so was Don Revie, so was Bill Shankly.

Love the ad on the wall below the half-time scoreboard!

Terrific book. Bought for myself and two sons. Bit disappointed name wasn't on list of on-line donors.

Good article that in courier. Steve (or anyone else) - does anyone know what condition Jim is in (i know his illness means he is out of it) and is he at a hospice, care or home?

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)