+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The New Normal

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    If the stories are true regarding the PPE from Turkey, then we all might as well give up. How the hell are we getting shafted by another country? First China and now Turkey. They can’t make PPE to British standards. We send our special force to pick them up.. why couldn’t some sort batch tests be carried out over there in Turkey. Now we are seeking a refund. Can’t make it up.
    If it needs to be British Standard, Simple.. make them here. Keep the money here, because i’m sure with this extra delay our companies would by now have got them to the required standard.

In a previous role as a buyer, I used to purchase from Turkey and sadly they are known for shafting suppliers on quality and price so nothing would surprise me. Even in China many things can be poor quality and trademarks/designs you hold will be nicked and displayed at every trade fair going. At least many items manufactured in the UK/USA are quality but this comes at a price along with the labour costs!

Too many companies but profit before quality which includes cheap football shirts and cheap tat sold in Sports Direct whose owner is a crook!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    In a previous role as a buyer, I used to purchase from Turkey and sadly they are known for shafting suppliers on quality and price so nothing would surprise me. Even in China many things can be poor quality and trademarks/designs you hold will be nicked and displayed at every trade fair going. At least many items manufactured in the UK/USA are quality but this comes at a price along with the labour costs!

Too many companies but profit before quality which includes cheap football shirts and cheap tat sold in Sports Direct whose owner is a crook!
    I was always told to check the product never the price!

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    If the stories are true regarding the PPE from Turkey, then we all might as well give up. How the hell are we getting shafted by another country? First China and now Turkey. They can’t make PPE to British standards. We send our special force to pick them up.. why couldn’t some sort batch tests be carried out over there in Turkey. Now we are seeking a refund. Can’t make it up.
    If it needs to be British Standard, Simple.. make them here. Keep the money here, because i’m sure with this extra delay our companies would by now have got them to the required standard.
    Good points Regis. Something just doesn't seem right here with all of this. Medics are saying repeatedly that there is a PPE shortage across the NHS / Care sector and we've no reason to think otherwise. Government is saying supplies are now good and they're continuing to source PPE globally. BBC News reported this week that hundreds of established manufacturers are geared up to make PPE but due to being ignored by Westminster and out of sheer frustration, many are now selling face masks, gowns and gloves abroad - all at the right quality. Meanwhile...we import useless tat from China and Turkey. I can't think of any commercial business who would place an order overseas with a manufacturer for 400K units without checking samples for quality first. As you say, you couldn't make it up.

Just remember that the Spanish flu killed up to 50,000,000 people. Currently the worldwide figure for Covid-19 is 250,000.
    Did people stop hugging after 1918? Did they keep lots of distance? No. I don't expect any different when this pandemic is over. In fact you may have noticed that many have already come out of the lockdown as there are far more people around in the last two weeks. When its died down and we have a vaccine we will fall back into our usual ways. What would be good is if companies now recognise that many can work from home even if only a day a week or even more. Far less traffic on the road has been much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Just remember that the Spanish flu killed up to 50,000,000 people. Currently the worldwide figure for Covid-19 is 250,000.
    Did people stop hugging after 1918? Did they keep lots of distance? No. I don't expect any different when this pandemic is over. In fact you may have noticed that many have already come out of the lockdown as there are far more people around in the last two weeks. When its died down and we have a vaccine we will fall back into our usual ways. What would be good is if companies now recognise that many can work from home even if only a day a week or even more. Far less traffic on the road has been much nicer.
    The majority of the 50M/80M who died in the Spanish flu were aged between 20 and 45...a bigger catchment group then C-19 which is over 60's.
    Also worth remembering why it got the name The Spanish Flu... It was because news reporters in Spain (Spain had not entered the WW1) were actually free to report openly and freely, unlike most of Europe and USA, where press restrictions prevented any news reporting on the pandemic......for security reasons.
    Spain was reporting millions dead in May 1918 alone...a huge number..Other countries were suffering but could not report it on account of the War. So people didn't know. Also...there was no isolation like today Very different approach then today.
    So it was killing millions before eventually the leaders had to call an end to their was because more soldiers were dieing from the flu then the war......the second wave killed the most...

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Crucial bit in that is 'when this pandemic is over' If that is this year then yes compared to Spanish Flu it probably is small beer. But if it comes back...........

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Crucial bit in that is 'when this pandemic is over' If that is this year then yes compared to Spanish Flu it probably is small beer. But if it comes back...........
    In order to try and control or eradicate this virus it will need worldwide cooperation, but there is not much chance of that happening with the current leaders we have around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    The majority of the 50M/80M who died in the Spanish flu were aged between 20 and 45...a bigger catchment group then C-19 which is over 60's.
    Also worth remembering why it got the name The Spanish Flu... It was because news reporters in Spain (Spain had not entered the WW1) were actually free to report openly and freely, unlike most of Europe and USA, where press restrictions prevented any news reporting on the pandemic......for security reasons.
    Spain was reporting millions dead in May 1918 alone...a huge number..Other countries were suffering but could not report it on account of the War. So people didn't know. Also...there was no isolation like today Very different approach then today.
    So it was killing millions before eventually the leaders had to call an end to their was because more soldiers were dieing from the flu then the war......the second wave killed the most...
    Spot on with your facts there Dubbag. It was the king of pandemics.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    It will come back, like a lot of flu virus's. Just not as lethal due to vaccines etc. It could also mutate, as many virus's do. Stopping the chinese eating food like bats however, might take longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post

Bang on there Dubs! I am sure there will be a second spike too, as many in this country remain uneducated with a - it won't happen to me attitude! Yes, most of those who have died were elderly with underlying health conditions, but there are a number of young fit people who have died with this virus too - I know one! I also know a very fit tennis player who had no health issues whatsoever, did not smoke, did not drink, and dropped dead with a heart attack. Once your number is up - it can happen to any of us. so nobody should be fooled!

Anyway just had a text this morning from the NHS saying I have to stay indoors until 30th June so taken up gardening as I didn't think it could offer so much pleasure but it does...........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)