+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irritating sayings

Irritating sayings

Another alternative thread to Coronavirus stuff........

Ther are some saying that really irritate, many are just plain stupid. Some people, when given some information, seem to like the expression ‘thanks for the heads up’. Why not just say thanks for the information? ‘Heads up’, ugh!

Lots of TV commentators and politicians, when explaining a policy or course of action, often add the words ‘.....going forward’, well, you can’t go bloody backwards! So why say it?

Now, top of my hate list on this subject, the word ‘Guys’. An awful American import. I replied to someone who addressed my wife and I as ‘guys’ by pointing out that my wife was not a guy! The idiot just looked at me with a vacant expression, clueless.

What expressions get to you?

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post

Ther are some saying that really irritate, many are just plain stupid. Some people, when given some information, seem to like the expression ‘thanks for the heads up’. Why not just say thanks for the information? ‘Heads up’, ugh!

Lots of TV commentators and politicians, when explaining a policy or course of action, often add the words ‘.....going forward’, well, you can’t go bloody backwards! So why say it?

Now, top of my hate list on this subject, the word ‘Guys’. An awful American import. I replied to someone who addressed my wife and I as ‘guys’ by pointing out that my wife was not a guy! The idiot just looked at me with a vacant expression, clueless.

All three of your examples it has to be said are very prevalent in modern society, although everything comes from somewhere I do share your pain with these. Another imported new one is ‘no worries’ (an Australianism if there is such a word) but the one that really grips my 5h1t is in football interviews/ commentary and I’m sure it came from Mick McCarthy, “ he’s put a real shift in”

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHH
    Anyone who works tirelessly on a football pitch gets this accolade and it narks the hell out of me....

....well, you asked

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post

Starting a sentence with “So” is the thing that winds me up more than anything when it’s in reply to a question because in grammatical terms I can’t think of a single instance where it’s actually correct.

On the odd occasion you can start a sentence with it possibly but even then it’s not really required......

“So where have you been!?

Many a time my mum said that to me as a kid but “Where have you been” is probably the correct oration.

I hate the constant repeat of slogans as well......”Stay at home,protect the NHS,save lives”..........f king hell......how many more times.

Huw Edwards on BBC News telling us the name of the correspondent at the end of each piece 😩😩😩

Here’s the one that really gets me Kets.....

“We’re all living longer”

Does nobody tell these people just how stupid that comment is.

Imagine that’s the day your child has died and some c hunt on TV comes out with that or if you’ve watched your 35 year old NHS worker gasp their last Covid breath.

Some of the comments really are sackable offences.

I remember my first day training to be a rep for a frozen food company in July 1984 and I was out with one of the bosses who was aged around what I am now at about 58.......I was 22.

We were stood in the first customers shop and he was chatting to the owner and the owner then had to serve someone.

The boss turned round to me and glared and said “get your hands out of your pockets” sharply.

A lesson learned........it’s about standards and sadly nowadays nobody seems to give a f hook.

“Can I have that to GO” is one my daughter uses and I hate it.

Yankee b o l l o x!

“Uni” instead of “university” does my f king crust as well😫

You’ve got me started now!

“Leckie” for electricity😖😤😤😤

Why do people say Absolutely instead of Yes? Just think of the amount of breath they would save for later life!

'actually' is used far too much for emphasis. Mind ya those who cannot pronounce their 'R's' , whether deliberately or not, annoy the hell out of me

The incessant use of ‘obviously’ by sportsmen and women during interviews
    ‘Untenable’ is another that sprang up a few years ago, out of nowhere
    The ‘peoples’ this, the ‘peoples’ that
    ‘Integrity’ being used in the same sentence as football administrators, from grassroots to Fifa (e.g. Qatar 2022)

I used to work with a woman who constantly used the phrase ‘let’s touch base’ rather than let’s keep in touch. Pointless expression

Dead right Mick, another common saying that people use " At this moment in time" why not say NOW and the gangster types or think they are using, the expression "you would FINK so" and " thats great FANKS"

'proactive' instead of 'active'

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)