+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Legs & Co.

Legs & Co.

Most days I watch a late 70’s or early 80’s Top of the Pops on YouTube.

Could still “crack one off” to that lot.

As they were then you understand......not sure the old fella would twitch if they bent over in front of me now 😆

My favourite was Sue Menhenick and to be fair she’s still a very fit 60 odd year old.

You could......couldn’t you?

Give it 30 seconds until dear old Jimmy Saville though 😏

https://youtu.be/NJz7TT7dKvQ

I watched some old TOTP recently and it made me realise how much rubbish was ‘hit music’. Most of it was mimed as well; one episode had a band on, can’t remember their name, and their electric guitars weren’t even plugged in! Lots of songs were cut short as well, horrible programme, real music was on The Old Grey Whistle Test. Legs & Co were ok, though, as were their predecessors, Pans People.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    I watched some old TOTP recently and it made me realise how much rubbish was ‘hit music’. Most of it was mimed as well; one episode had a band on, can’t remember their name, and their electric guitars weren’t even plugged in! Lots of songs were cut short as well, horrible programme, real music was on The Old Grey Whistle Test. Legs & Co were ok, though, as were their predecessors, Pans People.
    I didn’t mind the miming then or now.

Reproducing the sound quality of a single with multiple bands on a short show was impossible in those days Kets.

I watched 79 episode the other day with The Skids doing “Into the valley” and it was magic.

I then found a clip of them live last year which was fantastic and the sound quality and playing was top notch.

TOTP was what it was and for me.....from being 11 in 72 to being 20 in 81 it was “must watch” TV.

I feel 17 when I’m watching it again.

Top of the Pops in the sixties was better because artist had to perform live, so the songs sounded slightly different as they also improvised and changed it a bit. Pans People were the dancers and their line up changed a bit as did their previous name. The one that stood out, the blonde Babs Lord came from Kinver. She married Robert Powell.

I wonder if in the fifties anyone had used to crack one off to the Beverly Sisters... apart from Billy Wright?

I can remember TOTP starting in the 60’s when it was introduced in turn by the leading DJ’s of the time, Jimmy Saville. Pete Murray. Alan Freeman and David Jacobs. What made it so good in those early years were the acts. Music was becoming something special and it was here that you could be guaranteed to see the top acts. I think it was something to do the Musicians Union that led to the temporary introduction of live performances. It was always chart music but I will never forget one edition where a totally unknown act was introduced. What was this? I didn’t want to see anybody new. Then the Jimi Hendrix Experience played Hey Joe. I had never seen anybody like him nor heard anything like his sound. I stopped watching about 1970.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)