+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: End of season imminent?

End of season imminent?

There is talk that, based on Rick Parry's evidence to the DMS select committee, that the ending of the League's One and Two seasons will be announced early next week. The only discussion point seems to be how to decide promotion and relegation. This suggests, at least, that a 'null and void' position is a non-starter.
    There seem to be several proposals but the favourite appears to be a 'weighted points-per-game' model. Under this system, the Alex would be second, below Swindon and would go up with Plymouth and Cheltenham. Exeter would narrowly miss out. Stevenage would go down despite Macc having another 7 points deducted.
    It's a shame and, although someone will tell me there are more important things in life, I've really missed the football and feel a little regretfull that the Alex won't be allowed to clinch their first ever league title.

Yes, there seems to be general agreement in the powers that be that the season is over, but that it won’t be declared null and void like so much non-League football - it would be difficult to do that given that the National League have decided to have some form of promotion, if not relegation.

With the Top 5 a little way clear, and the Top 3 also, to promote Swindon, Plymouth and the Alex is a no brainier really. The 4th promotion place is a bit more contentious really and, whilst PPG seems a fair way of sorting it out, I think I’d be upset if I were associated with Exeter City. Assuming the EFL use the same criteria for League 1 then could I suggest you look at the League table and who might finish, or be awarded, 3rd place - to say its tight and controversial is something of an understatement!

Also, looking at relegation from L2, there will be arguments about whether nobody goes down and only one club (probably Barrow) come up, or should Stevenage also go down and a second come up - again fraught with controversy given that Harrogate are currently clearly 2nd, but that 3rd placed Notts County are that League’s big hitters.

Now you may say that none of that should affect us as we are clearly in a promotion place no matter what methodology is used, but we all know that life in football is seldom as cut and dried as that! Whilst I’m disappointed that I won’t get to see our exciting team again this season, and that it looks as though we aren’t going to get the chance to win the title, I will be pleased to look forward to League 1 football at Gresty Road next season.... whenever we get the chance to see it.

The financial structure of Leagues and clubs next season is very much in question, of course, but I believe that, with our relatively low paid squad and the fact it contains a lot of young players will stand us in pretty good stead. Some, if not many, clubs face a significant financing problem next season and its generally accepted that players wages will fall throughout the EFL, so we should be able to keep more of our young stars for longer.

Now we just have to wait for the decision, the recriminations and the bun fight that’s likely to break out from those clubs that are ‘hard done to’. Get your hard hats ready!!!

I've read about the proposals and agree it looks as if the season is over for L1 and L2 and seems likely the promotion places will include us but the downside is we will lose local derbys like Vale and Tranmere as the latter is likely to come down. The other question is when will fans be allowed back in the stadiums as it may be next year before that is allowed and thus clubs in the lower leagues are going to be in deep trouble financially unless the FA/PL bale us all out which they could easily with all the billions the PL gets from TV money as they don't essentially rely on gate money to pay the wages of players. But then this virus isn't going away and the winter period could be a real problem in its severity and so it may be that football isn't going to get back to normal for possibly another year from now. In that scenario and playing behind closed doors for some time seems pointless somehow?? This is bound to affect players contracts at all clubs actually even the PL as the TV people won't want to continue to pay billions out even if they get to play behind closed doors.

But we know there are more serious issues of life and death to consider first and hope we can at least get a vaccine asap to help us all.
    Last edited by MikeSB; 09-05-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Macclesfield have just been docked more points, but am I correct in thinking that they haven't been held to account for the Crewe game yet?

No their original penalty was for our game in early December, the follow up penalty is for not playing Plymouth 2 weeks later - points suspended from the penalty for us, plus extra, 7 in all, so they have 11 points deducted in all I think, but still 3 above Stevenage with better points per game if that decides relegation.

That postponement may have cost us the top spot as they had a very weakened side and suspended players. But hey ho will not make any difference to the virus. I think the season has finished and tale roughly stands as it is. So promotion I think

Start a new season in September

Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    That postponement may have cost us the top spot as they had a very weakened side and suspended players. But hey ho will not make any difference to the virus. I think the season has finished and tale roughly stands as it is. So promotion I think

Agree with outOlunch comments. Our health is more important than football. We get promotion and get to play at a higher standard.Due to the financial position of most clubs we will as a club be competing more on a level playing field when looking to buy players. With a new board and new focus this is a massive opportunity for the club . We will now see how good our management team is in the retention of players and bringing in new faces. the board have a pivotal role to play as well in supporting the management team. We may have missed out on being Champions but playing a full season in a higher league with new faces representing our club is an exciting prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post

Many games and opportunities missed to look back on, Newport away being the standout for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    Many games and opportunities missed to look back on, Newport away being the standout for me.
    But every team (except perhaps Stevenage) can say the same over the season. We took more opportunities than ever , over the 37 games we did play.

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    But every team (except perhaps Stevenage) can say the same over the season. We took more opportunities than ever , over the 37 games we did play.
    Agree with all of that, but I was pointing out that it wasn't just the macc game that has potentially cost us our first ( I think) league title. The opportunities taken are taken as read once they happen, it's the ones not taken that become more relevant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast