+ Visit England Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two billion pounds

I am also an anti caravan bigot as well !

So buy a gym membership if you want the exercise; no one will hear you, there will still be no pollution but you won’t get in anyone’s way or cause accidents. Like I said, let them build more cycle lanes, but why do you seem to think that, somehow, you shouldn’t contribute to the cost. There are absolutely NO reasons why not.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchlion View Post
    I wouldn’t say that Tricky and griff are bigots....far from it...but they are just lost souls who just don’t understand!

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    So buy a gym membership if you want the exercise; no one will hear you, there will still be no pollution but you won’t get in anyone’s way or cause accidents. Like I said, let them build more cycle lanes, but why do you seem to think that, somehow, you shouldn’t contribute to the cost. There are absolutely NO reasons why not.

One big reason ,Cyclists have never ever had to pay anything before. Why start now ?

I've been gutted that I've not been able to get out on my bike in the lock up. With the focus on covid there will be a lot more other health issues that will come to light with avengence.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    griff, I live in France where cyclists and motorists cohabite with a certain harmony. It is cultural like in Belgium and Holland where cycling, as a sport, is huge and where the population use their bikes in built up areas as their main means of transport.
    I left London many years ago and never went back for years. When I did return it was after London had introduced the congestion toll. I was astonished about the number of cyclists that I saw on inner London roads, it was almost worthy of Amsterdam..At the same time I noticed a certain anarchy concerning some of the cyclists, therefore I can imagine your frustration when you are confronted with them.

On a personal note I very rarely use my bikes as a means of transport but are used 99% of the time for my sporting activities on minor country roads in the area where I live and frankly have rarely had any problems with irate motorists.
    Vive le vélo!

Quote Originally Posted by frenchlion View Post
    griff, I live in France where cyclists and motorists cohabite with a certain harmony. It is cultural like in Belgium and Holland where cycling, as a sport, is huge and where the population use their bikes in built up areas as their main means of transport.
    I left London many years ago and never went back for years. When I did return it was after London had introduced the congestion toll. I was astonished about the number of cyclists that I saw on inner London roads, it was almost worthy of Amsterdam..At the same time I noticed a certain anarchy concerning some of the cyclists, therefore I can imagine your frustration when you are confronted with them.

On a personal note I very rarely use my bikes as a means of transport but are used 99% of the time for my sporting activities on minor country roads in the area where I live and frankly have rarely had any problems with irate motorists.
    Vive le vélo!
    I've been riding my bikes for fitness and sport since I was 12. I've worked all over the country and taken my bike to train in.most places I've worked. All in.all I've not had much problem because I drive on the same roads as I ride on so I use my common sense. The london cyclist is a breed into.itself. some of the things I've seen are unreal..but in london all rosd users seem to be nuts. Esp bus drivers
    I think anyone who uses the road for a living are the worst. Cycle couriers. Taxi drivers. Courier drivers . Wagon drivers bus drivers all seem to think they own the road
    The debate about cycle lanes is a hard one. Most I've used are badly planned. The one at Bowe roundabout heading toward stratford is lethal. You literally play Russian roulette on a bike when the light turns green cos the cars fly down the slip road toward the a12 like idiots and people on bikes just get side swiped. Basically london is nuts it's like all commuters are leeds or millwall fans 😁

I do own a bike, and used to use it to get to a station to get to the football when Mrsgriff had the car. As I mentioned, there’s no public transport for miles around here, and that is replicated in many rural areas across the country. So, should these billions be spent on providing cycle lanes for the few, which many of the few won’t use, or on improving public transport for the large number of folk who don’t have any? There are many older folk in rural villages who rely on family and friends to keep them going, never as obvious as right now. I qualify for a bus-pass later this year but what’s the point, THERE ISN’T ANY? We suffer disenfranchisement and isolation while cyclists, generally younger and fitter, are pandered to. You could argue, as cyclists, that you pay your taxes - but so do we.

Serious question - which part of society deserves the investment more?

griff ...you have a valid point, it is the same in France where rural areas are being left behind and are increasingly being deserted because of the lack of amenities. However cycling in towns and cities should / must be encouraged.
    It would be interesting know what the average mileage a city dweller covers per day to go to and from work in his car. I don’t know what it is now like on a daily basis in London or other major cities in the UK concerning public transport but I can imagine it’s more than over crowded. The last time I was In South London was to attend a funeral 4 years ago. To get from where I was staying to the deceased’s house took me over an hour to drive less than 4 miles. Traffic on both sides of the road hardly moving and probably 90% of the cars with just the driver and nobody else.....madness!
    I firmly believe that after the Covid 19 crisis is over we will see a marked increase in bikes particularly e-bikes on urban roads.....and I do agree....cycle lanes should be made compulsory where they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by donny tyke View Post
    I've been riding my bikes for fitness and sport since I was 12. I've worked all over the country and taken my bike to train in.most places I've worked. All in.all I've not had much problem because I drive on the same roads as I ride on so I use my common sense. The london cyclist is a breed into.itself. some of the things I've seen are unreal..but in london all rosd users seem to be nuts. Esp bus drivers
    I think anyone who uses the road for a living are the worst. Cycle couriers. Taxi drivers. Courier drivers . Wagon drivers bus drivers all seem to think they own the road
    The debate about cycle lanes is a hard one. Most I've used are badly planned. The one at Bowe roundabout heading toward stratford is lethal. You literally play Russian roulette on a bike when the light turns green cos the cars fly down the slip road toward the a12 like idiots and people on bikes just get side swiped. Basically london is nuts it's like all commuters are leeds or millwall fans ��

Donny...you have just come down in my esteem....putting Millwall fans in the same category as Leeds’

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast