+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: O/t sturgeon

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    The head of the British Transport Police in Scotland should be setting an example and not travel to his family home in Holmfirth by car especially when the nearest railway station to Holmfirth is in Huddersfield. This bosses seem to think that they can please themselves when it comes to abiding by the lockdown rules.
    He's setting an example by avoiding public transport though Islay. He has a family and surely you can see that he has the right to see them as long as he stays within the (admittedly pretty loose) guidelines?

In his position what would you do? And be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    There was an article I read but it blew my heid aff as I just didn't understand it.

Basically every world economy prints money and pays off it's debt at exactly the same time. Read to me like quantitive easing on steroids......just don't understand how that works......sounds straight from the Jeremy Corbyn book of economics but as I say I didn't really understand it.

I do think the 1st emergency budget will also cover all emergency exits for the vast majority of people there will be no escape, for the super wealthy there always is secret tunnels and escape routes.

They won't want northern rock style queues forming either so maybe there will be a period of limited daily cash withdrawals as well.
    There's a fable about a potential guest at a hotel wanting to reserve a room with £100 deposit. Hotel owner takes the £100 and pay his food bill, food supplier takes the £100 and pays his newspaper supplier who he uses to advertise, newspaper pays his professional companion with whom he has an illicit liaison but because of the longevity of the relationship she had been giving him some time to pay, she takes the money and pays the hotelier for the short term hires of his rooms to carry on her business. Tourist comes back, doesn't take the room and gets his deposit back. Quantitative easing, everyone gets paid but nobody has any money!

We should be much more concerned about the financial problems. It isn't going to be something that we can ignore and getting people back to work needs to have much more consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    There's a fable about a potential guest at a hotel wanting to reserve a room with £100 deposit. Hotel owner takes the £100 and pay his food bill, food supplier takes the £100 and pays his newspaper supplier who he uses to advertise, newspaper pays his professional companion with whom he has an illicit liaison but because of the longevity of the relationship she had been giving him some time to pay, she takes the money and pays the hotelier for the short term hires of his rooms to carry on her business. Tourist comes back, doesn't take the room and gets his deposit back. Quantitative easing, everyone gets paid but nobody has any money!

We should be much more concerned about the financial problems. It isn't going to be something that we can ignore and getting people back to work needs to have much more consideration.
    Maybe somewhere in the equation one of the receivers of the said £100 went into administration and only paid out 6p in the Pound, thus taking in £100 but only paying out £6.

Quote Originally Posted by The AuldYin View Post
    Maybe somewhere in the equation one of the receivers of the said £100 went into administration and only paid out 6p in the Pound, thus taking in £100 but only paying out £6.

Quote Originally Posted by The AuldYin View Post
    Or run up millions in debt sold the clubs jewels and got hounded out by the fans, only for another Walter Mitty to come in and run up £10 million of debt and have no plan B

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    Or run up millions in debt sold the clubs jewels and got hounded out by the fans, only for another Walter Mitty to come in and run up £10 million of debt and have no plan B
    With £100? Are you Michael Knighton?

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    He's setting an example by avoiding public transport though Islay. He has a family and surely you can see that he has the right to see them as long as he stays within the (admittedly pretty loose) guidelines?

In his position what would you do? And be honest.
    If I was in his position I would abide by the lockdown rules. Suppose Holmfirth had no Coronavirus cases prior to his arrival and like the people attending the Nike conference in Edinburgh he brought Coronavirus from Glasgow to Holmfirth which resulted in several deaths he would be Public enemy number one.

Instead of raising huge taxes to pay for the Covid-19 pandemic I would not be surprised to see the Government pay for it by borrowing the money which at current rates of 0.1% would result in a minimal cost of borrowing.
    The government might also issue index linked savings certificates which would pay the CPI rate of inflation annually but with no extra interest rate.
    At least the holders of these new index linked savings certificates would not have their savings devalued by inflation.
    Last edited by islaydarkblue; 19-05-2020 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Oh Nooooh! This can go one of two ways. For the first time EVER, someone in a government actually reads his stuff and believes him and acts on his advice. He has chuntered on and on about Boris, Cameron, the death of the Conservatives, the decline of religion, the failures in justice, policing, education, the loss of any moral fibre in the world, I think he's great and as far as I can see he is a contrarian who has never achieved a result! The second course of action is that the mere fact that the great Sir Peter Hitchens has mentioned a raid on savings will be enough to ensure that the idea is immediately rubbished and precisely the opposite will be put in place with rising interest rates and everyone desperate to save.

I had a friend who was in Greece at the time of their major troubles with the Eurozone. The hotel owner had sold his hotel and put the money into a pension fund that guaranteed and income with a small inflationary increment annually. I've probably not described it correctly but I am sure you will know what I mean. The company wrote to him and told him that the income would be halved and there would be no increment. I think this is what you mean by a raid on savings. It would be great it you could spell out in a bit more detail what a raid on savings might look like. I think the possibility of this type of action should be highlighted and the dangers it would create for the unemployed, the young, the elderly and workers, should be discussed.
    Did Cyprus not impose a "savings tax" on its citizens recently or attempt to.

I remember the figures were brutal 10% or so for over 100k and 6.5 or 7% or thereabouts for under 100k.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Did Cyprus not impose a "savings tax" on its citizens recently or attempt to.

I remember the figures were brutal 10% or so for over 100k and 6.5 or 7% or thereabouts for under 100k.
    You could be right. Such an approach, I imagine, will not be countenanced in Britain. It would drive a stake through the heart of the financial sector which would just move elsewhere.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)