+ Visit Cambridge United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bacon aand tomato recipe for Kel.

Bacon aand tomato recipe for Kel.

This is a recipe for two. If there are more people just multiply up.

Put about five tablespoons of Olive oil into a medium pan. Add three quarters of a teaspoon of salt.

Cut three or four rashers of streaky bacon into small chunks using scissors. You cant cut bacon with a knife. It must be streaky bacon. The bacon taste comes from fat, the white bit, lean bacon wont work. Fry till brown. Add garlic towards the end as it may burn before.

Using a whole packet of vine ripened tomatoes and one beef tomato, the quality makes a difference, add the sliced tomatoes into the bacon and oil. Put on medium heat.

When tomatoes soften, use a potatoe masher to mash the tomatoes. Put on three quarters heat. Continue to cook and mash tomatoes till it starts to bubble and foam.

There will be a significant reduction in volume. You will be left with s gloopy syrup, it may appear you don't have enough but you do. You can add two pinches of basil if you want too toward the end, if you put it in too soon you will kill the taste.

Cook the spaghetti, if its 9 to 11 minutes in cook for seven. Using tongs add some spaghetti to the sauce. Using a table spoon, add three quarters of a spoon of butter too the spaghetti, then add the rest. You might use a whole tablespoon.

Then add a spill of the water from the cooked spaghetti into the pan. Some will be there already from the spaghetti. The water will contain starch which will cling the sauce to the spaghetti.

Mix, and cook for 30 seconds or a minute, the spaghetti will absorb the sauce. Tong the spaghetti onto a plate, cover with parmesan and pore any remaining sauce on top. Wipe the plate of spills.

Heaven in less than an hour.

You can do this without bacon, just basil.

Babushkas from Italy would cook tomatoes for hours or days to get the quality tomatoe sauce you get from mashing and a high heat. Its about reducing it to its constituent parts.

You can replicate this tomatoe sauce in lasagnes. This also applies to curries. If you use onions in curries which I do, ghee is a killer.

You must caramalise the onions. All this means is cook the onions for 30 to 45 minutes till brown. You can mash them too. Onions cooked for just a few minutes will be bitter, cooked properly they become sweet. The finer you can cut them the better. Caramalised onions in a lasagne makes the dish.

Snoopy of Clodig.

Cheers, Frank. Good of you to post it as it must have taken some time.

I’ll pick the ingredients up this week and give it a bash. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Archibald of Totnes.

Have I been transported to some kind of parallel universe or summat,it would explain the past seven weeks tbf...

Sounds good, Frank, I might even give it an go meself. I disagree about cutting bacon with a knife though, I do it all the time, though I do keep my steel very, very sharp.

I bought an set off of professional knives an bit ago and got one off of those sharpener thingy sticks so I might of to go down that route as my kitchen scissors are broken.

Rosie and Jim, chugging along on the old rag doll.

I've added Dolmio to the shopping list

Full of additives and preservatives stuff like that, chalks.

Natural is best.

I might wait a bit, the tomatoes and basil in the greenhouse won’t be ready for a few weeks, though I still have onions hanging in a dark place that I harvested last September. I’ll gan oot this afternoon and hunt down a pig.

I'm growing spring onions if anyone needs any.

Quote Originally Posted by funny_flopbags View Post
    I'm growing spring onions if anyone needs any.
    I could whack them in an salad. I’ll text my anddress

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)