+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Telephone

Telephone

Who used to say their number when answering the phone?

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  12.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post

Blimey Phil, that takes me back, that phone’s exactly the same as the one we had in our hall, same colour, model, card in the centre.

Yes, we did say the number, only four digits. It still amazes me how many still say it when answering. When I return calls from enquiries I receive for work I still get the ‘owd un’s’ saying their four digit number, some precede it with their town or village name, if they’re really posh they precede it with their surname.

Guilty "West Bromwich 4766"

It reminds me of when my mum’s parents bought their first TV and I’d guess it was just after WW2.

It was the first house in the street to have a TV and the whole street crammed their house to watch the 20 inch screen 😆

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    It reminds me of when my mum’s parents bought their first TV and I’d guess it was just after WW2.

It was the first house in the street to have a TV and the whole street crammed their house to watch the 20 inch screen ��
    I can relate to that.....actually remember when we didn't have a TV...think it was late 1969.....do recall Moon landing.

As a kid living in Handworth our phone number was NORTHERN 9389. When dialing home from a phone box you used the first three letters.
    i.e NOR 9389 and my mom would answer Northern 9389 Sheila speaking. Bless her.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post

634-5789
    Who remembers this number

The very first time I answered our new phone I recited the entire number. I felt a bit of a berk and never did again. Our exchange was WOO (Woodgate) 422.

I remember my parents answering with Kingswinford 3968. We also had a 'party line' i think it was called. Apparently we shared a telephone line and many's a time you picked up the phone and you could listen in to your neighbours having a conversation.

Phones at home were still a rarity in the early 70’s.

We had 6139 and months later one of my best mates family had 6150.

That showed how slow the progression was.

We didn’t have colour TV until 1972 just in time for the West Germany World Cup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)