+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweden

Sweden

Looks like they are dying off by the truckload!!!!!!! My God their death rate has hit 2/10's of 1%. The are now almost at herd immunity status. They are done by summer.

Meanwhile we sit and "shelter at home" while our economies die off, our food sources start drying up and the scum that gave this to the world make billions selling us their cheap crap PPE and medicine.

The belief in the ability of government to screw up anything and everything is never found wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Looks like they are dying off by the truckload!!!!!!! My God their death rate has hit 2/10's of 1%. The are now almost at herd immunity status. They are done by summer.

Meanwhile we sit and "shelter at home" while our economies die off, our food sources start drying up and the scum that gave this to the world make billions selling us their cheap crap PPE and medicine.

The belief in the ability of government to screw up anything and everything is never found wanting.
    Been saying herd immunity was the way to go since the lunatics took over the asylum, just no-one is/was listening.

And now we are getting "advice" that will kill the airline industry and all the high tech jobs that go with it. Lunacy.

Not lunacy at all.

simple playbook written by countless population control radicals over the years.

Test the lemming like control. If you order the population to "shelter in place" for 3-6 months and they do it then you know you've created a docile and compliant citizenry that will bow down to you without question. Especially the case if you have countries that have not ordered lockdowns and yet have about the same death rate. You've affirmed they no longer even think on their own or question what they are told.
    Make sure the media (social and "journalists") support this. stress "it's for the safety or for the children".

Bankrupt airlines, mass transit and the auto industry and you've limited them to their local area.

Control all communications with "contact" tracing on their phones as well as censorship on anyone that does not subscribe to their view on how to handle the virus outbreak and you can cut off anyone you want off the grid. Arrest a couple of high profile cases and make a big deal of it. Plant a couple of radicals in the anti lockdown protests and represent them as the "norm" of the group.

close schools and start the limitations of educational opportunity and 100% control the content of what they hear and stop thinking independently and objectively. This one was a toughie since the mortality rate on pre pubescent children is almost unmeasurable statistically.

start limiting food, drink and entertainment unless the population accepts the above. Reward them with small incremental expansions and remove once new cases show up which happens with all viruses.

You've now created a utopian paradise like China, Cuba or Venezuela with total control of the populace without firing a shot.

Sad to hear about sweden as they were one of the few countries not to bring in measures to protect themselves.
    Here in Australia and New Zealand they are in a hurry to lift restrictions i fathom as to what is going to happen next as i believe the virus will take hold and they wont be able to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    Sad to hear about sweden as they were one of the few countries not to bring in measures to protect themselves.
    Here in Australia and New Zealand they are in a hurry to lift restrictions i fathom as to what is going to happen next as i believe the virus will take hold and they wont be able to stop it.
    I think you'll find Spaldy was being ironic about the Swedes dying by the truckload, they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    I think you'll find Spaldy was being ironic about the Swedes dying by the truckload, they're not.
    Just over 3k deaths and looks like over the peak of new cases, with no lockdown, no school closures, no destroying the commercial structures that will employ people when Covid is just a memory, just common sense and rational thought, something we used to have, but no more.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Just over 3k deaths and looks like over the peak of new cases, with no lockdown, no school closures, no destroying the commercial structures that will employ people when Covid is just a memory, just common sense and rational thought, something we used to have, but no more.
    I've spent a lot of time in Sweden (was there in February just before our lockdown) and have been learning the language for 4 years with a view to moving/retiring there possibly, and i have to say that it is a completely different kettle of fish (quite literally at times) to the UK.

Firstly, there are no massive intensely populated cities - Stockholm is sparsely populated in the centre, and the outskirts have planned suburbs and relatively well spaced apartments even in the 'poor' areas.

Secondly the country beyond the big towns is huge and very thinly populated - villages are isolated and many people live well off the beaten track.

Thirdly it's a country culturally very different to ours - people do, on the whole, exactly as they're told, right down to the tiniest detail - they stop at pedestrian crossings when you can see for a mile either way that nothing is coming, because the light is on red. If you walk across, people give you dirty looks for breaking social responsibility. So when they were asked to mostly self-isolate but socially distance when 'out', they did exactly that. And they did it early enough before the first wave came to Scandinavia.

Fourth - they have far far less inward travel apart from other Scandi countries - as a country there is an isolation from the rest of the world, partly due to geography but also due to lack of 'pull' - i have no idea why - it's one of the most beautiful and fantastic places on earth. I always say if Stockholm was where Paris is, nobody would go to Paris.

Fifth - the Swedish health system is geared up to its population, and just doesn't get overwhelmed. It's hugely well funded, by high taxes which people are happy to pay, on the whole, and copes with winter conditions and resulting diseases for 6 months of the year. It has much greater capacity, so our lockdown was about protecting the NHS, whereas they didn't need to worry about that side of things.

Anyway, just a bit of context - they have got it right for them, probably - not to say it would've worked for us though - in the centre of Leicester near where i work there are hundreds of kids from the local estate playing football on the park each day unchallenged - unsurprisingly the estate is statistically the worst area of Leicester for people with the virus and deaths. Parenting is terrible, and social responsibility is almost zero - you just wouldn't get that anywhere in Sweden as people, even in poor estates, follow rules and take collective responsibility, because they see the benefits they get on a daily basis by doing so, to live in such a great place.

Oz, probably should have identified my sarcasm. Getting a little twisted in these strange times.

Jez, thanks for the insight. Interesting reading.

will be interesting to see what happens with the immigration they have done the last decade or so. I don't think most of those will follow any societal norm that appears to be in place now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezleeds View Post
    I've spent a lot of time in Sweden (was there in February just before our lockdown) and have been learning the language for 4 years with a view to moving/retiring there possibly, and i have to say that it is a completely different kettle of fish (quite literally at times) to the UK.

Firstly, there are no massive intensely populated cities - Stockholm is sparsely populated in the centre, and the outskirts have planned suburbs and relatively well spaced apartments even in the 'poor' areas.

Secondly the country beyond the big towns is huge and very thinly populated - villages are isolated and many people live well off the beaten track.

Thirdly it's a country culturally very different to ours - people do, on the whole, exactly as they're told, right down to the tiniest detail - they stop at pedestrian crossings when you can see for a mile either way that nothing is coming, because the light is on red. If you walk across, people give you dirty looks for breaking social responsibility. So when they were asked to mostly self-isolate but socially distance when 'out', they did exactly that. And they did it early enough before the first wave came to Scandinavia.

Fourth - they have far far less inward travel apart from other Scandi countries - as a country there is an isolation from the rest of the world, partly due to geography but also due to lack of 'pull' - i have no idea why - it's one of the most beautiful and fantastic places on earth. I always say if Stockholm was where Paris is, nobody would go to Paris.

Fifth - the Swedish health system is geared up to its population, and just doesn't get overwhelmed. It's hugely well funded, by high taxes which people are happy to pay, on the whole, and copes with winter conditions and resulting diseases for 6 months of the year. It has much greater capacity, so our lockdown was about protecting the NHS, whereas they didn't need to worry about that side of things.

Anyway, just a bit of context - they have got it right for them, probably - not to say it would've worked for us though - in the centre of Leicester near where i work there are hundreds of kids from the local estate playing football on the park each day unchallenged - unsurprisingly the estate is statistically the worst area of Leicester for people with the virus and deaths. Parenting is terrible, and social responsibility is almost zero - you just wouldn't get that anywhere in Sweden as people, even in poor estates, follow rules and take collective responsibility, because they see the benefits they get on a daily basis by doing so, to live in such a great place.
    As i said Jez, common sense and rational thought (and not just at a personal level but governmentally and organisationally, something as you point out with the Leicester example, we have ling sice done away with).

Quote Originally Posted by Jezleeds View Post

Sounds like a lovely place to retire to Jez.

You forgot to the add the 'Sixth' - women are fit as feck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)