+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: No Surprise, no inquiry

No Surprise, no inquiry

13 in favour 27 against and 2 abstentions.

No doubt the league will be 'called' soon.

Outcome and vote pretty much as expected. Voting would have been based on self interest. Rangers, Aberdeen, and Hearts were always going to vote for the Inquiry and it was doubtful that Livingston or Hibs would vote against it.

I still have no idea what Aberdeen are supposed to be gaining from a self-interest pov with their stance. Ok, they're fourth rather than the third they'd like but in the situation that's pennies and they're obviously going to get the European place - if there is Europe next season - as the cup can't be completed any time soon. They must have their reasons, like when they protected the 11-1 voting structure, but I certainly can't see it.

It seems everyone - finally - is coming to accept the inevitable that this season is done. The only bickering left would be whether we go for the Dutch or French approach but given the SPFL have already congratulated the relevant teams on promotion that's sealed as well.

So, it only took a few weeks longer than necessary but we can now start trying to salvage next season and with it the future of the game in Scotland. Remarkably the time hasn't even been that wasted as until recent government advice it would have been near pointless to start and it kept us all entertained...but what comes next will be significantly harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    I still have no idea what Aberdeen are supposed to be gaining from a self-interest pov with their stance. Ok, they're fourth rather than the third they'd like but in the situation that's pennies and they're obviously going to get the European place - if there is Europe next season - as the cup can't be completed any time soon. They must have their reasons, like when they protected the 11-1 voting structure, but I certainly can't see it.

It seems everyone - finally - is coming to accept the inevitable that this season is done. The only bickering left would be whether we go for the Dutch or French approach but given the SPFL have already congratulated the relevant teams on promotion that's sealed as well.

So, it only took a few weeks longer than necessary but we can now start trying to salvage next season and with it the future of the game in Scotland. Remarkably the time hasn't even been that wasted as until recent government advice it would have been near pointless to start and it kept us all entertained...but what comes next will be significantly harder.
    Agreed - they need to get on with looking at next season. But it will be hard going, given that stopping a Celtic title - even with an asterisked title - will continue to be a priority for some folk, though they're not going to admit it publicly. The analogy with the deckchairs on the 'Titanic' could be very relevant if they don't give themselves a shake, scrap this season and look ahead. Otherwise even what's left of the deckchairs may have floated away; a scenario which, if I'm being very cynical and suspicious, might suit some underlying agendas.
    It looks as though NZ rugby is restarting - ways can be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    They've been pushing to finish the season behind closed doors, as they are confident of finishing 3rd and I suspect that their vote was designed to delay matters and encourage" the SPFL to play to a finish however unlikely that might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    They've been pushing to finish the season behind closed doors, as they are confident of finishing 3rd and I suspect that their vote was designed to delay matters and encourage" the SPFL to play to a finish however unlikely that might be.
    The difference in prize money there is about 200k - to adopt a behind closed doors approach like the Bundesliga has or Premier League in England wants would probably cost our clubs something approaching or even beyond six figures. They would presumably pay higher bonuses to staff and players for the higher finish and would be left over with a modest five-figure sum. They surely cannot be basing their view here - given the knock on consequences to next season and the improved TV deal - on an outside chance that they MIGHT get an extra amount of money that even we would barely notice one way or another?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)