+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Proper Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Yes, but it was ‘great to watch’ apparently. Well it certainly proved to be for those of an Arab persuasion.

Back on topic, what a goal that was. Iwas in the stand enclosure that day and from my perspective I genuinely thought the ball had gone just past from the chip. Even those around me thought the same. The sway in the TC Keay was the first giveaway that something magical had just happened.

RIP Ralphie.

And Thank You.
    I was in the TC Keay, mental reaction to one one the best United goals ever, scored in our most important game ever. Was worried for my old mans safety in the mosh.
    When Ralph chipped it there was a slight delay because it was so far out you kind of expected well the keeper must save that, but when you see it back on tv later obviously very different. It was a bit like when action on tv is slowed down then speeded up.
    Incredible day, I admit I never thought I would see it, but we came a long long way from Clepington Park with no goal posts to our name to becoming Scottish Premiership Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    I was in the TC Keay, mental reaction to one one the best United goals ever, scored in our most important game ever. Was worried for my old mans safety in the mosh.
    When Ralph chipped it there was a slight delay because it was so far out you kind of expected well the keeper must save that, but when you see it back on tv later obviously very different. It was a bit like when action on tv is slowed down then speeded up.
    Incredible day, I admit I never thought I would see it, but we came a long long way from Clepington Park with no goal posts to our name to becoming Scottish Premiership Champions.
    Wonderful post Stokie Boy,i was of course in the Dee end(Provie Rd).

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    That’s whaur my late Dad ended up. I went through the juvenile gate at about 1400 and at that time outside it was totally rammed. I waited inside the concourse for him to come through the adult gate when they got slammed shut at about 1420 so I ended up watching the game on my tod. Thought he’d missed the game but when we eventually met up afterward back at the house he telt us that him and several thousand mair Arabs did an immediate u turn up toward the Provie Rd end and got in nae bather. It’s incredible that it wasn’t all ticket,even back then.

That’s whaur my late Dad ended up. I went through the juvenile gate at about 1400 and at that time outside it was totally rammed. I waited inside the concourse for him to come through the adult gate when they got slammed shut at about 1420 so I ended up watching the game on my tod. Thought he’d missed the game but when we eventually met up afterward back at the house he telt us that him and several thousand mair Arabs did an immediate u turn up toward the Provie Rd end and got in nae bather. It’s incredible that it wasn’t all ticket,even back then.
    Great story James.
    When Get Bannon Aff missed the penalty there was about 35 seconds before he slotted in the rebound.
    2-0 up followed by about 3 hours of waiting and hoping, not daring to finally finally believe that the 3 points were ours.
    It was a slow motion thing followed by an explosion of emotion at the final whistle. I've never been at a game that lasted as long.

Still think there should be a statue of Ralphie on the spot where he chipped from 😁

Great story James.
    When Get Bannon Aff missed the penalty there was about 35 seconds before he slotted in the rebound.
    2-0 up followed by about 3 hours of waiting and hoping, not daring to finally finally believe that the 3 points were ours.
    It was a slow motion thing followed by an explosion of emotion at the final whistle. I've never been at a game that lasted as long.

Still think there should be a statue of Ralphie on the spot where he chipped from ��
    Well, we own Dens so regarding the statue surely we can dae whatever we want and just get them telt.

But, as I’m sure you remember that prior to Ferguson (who later turned into another ‘Judas’) scoring, we were absolutely pummelling them. Dodds’ shot that came off the underside of the bar - that goes in and it’s 3-0 after 20 minutes and it was going to end up 5 or 6. Unfortunately it didn’t, they sneaked one back and it was a wee bit nip and tuck thereafter. Strangely, I don’t remember being under any real pressure at any time though. Indeed, the second half was a bit of a non event as far as I can remember with little of note happening at either end. Suited us just fine though.
    Last edited by JamesMcClean; 14-05-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Simply sublime!

Well, we own Dens so regarding the statue surely we can dae whatever we want and just get them telt.

But, as I’m sure you remember that prior to Ferguson (who later turned into another ‘Judas’) scoring, we were absolutely pummelling them. Dodds’ shot that came off the underside of the bar - that goes in and it’s 3-0 after 20 minutes and it was going to end up 5 or 6. Unfortunately it didn’t, they sneaked one back and it was a wee bit nip and tuck thereafter. Strangely, I don’t remember being under any real pressure at any time though. Indeed, the second half was a bit of a non event as far as I can remember with little of note happening at either end. Suited us just fine though.
    To be honest, looking back it's surprising how little I remembered of the match. I remember the bad state of the pitch. I remember saying to my old man at 2-1 that if the title wasn't resting on this we'd be scoring 5. As you say the second half was just praying that we wouldn't make a mistake at the back.
    Over that season we were very worthy champions though.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    It wasn't until after the first goal went in that you could see how many United fans were in the Provie end.
    The attendance that day was 29,100 by the way!

To be honest, looking back it's surprising how little I remembered of the match. I remember the bad state of the pitch. I remember saying to my old man at 2-1 that if the title wasn't resting on this we'd be scoring 5. As you say the second half was just praying that we wouldn't make a mistake at the back.
    Over that season we were very worthy champions though.
    One thing I was blissfully unaware of was the Celtic score at the time. I don’t have any recollection of being aware at all of their score v Oldco and it was only much later on that I realised that they had been two down came back and then won 4-2. As a result had the Funsters equalised, we would have been level with Celtic on points, goal difference, goals scored and head to head and it would have gone to an unprecedented title play off match to decide the Champions. However, the Funny Lot failed to score and we won the League. At Dens.

It wasn't until after the first goal went in that you could see how many United fans were in the Provie end.
    The attendance that day was 29,100 by the way!
    The turnstile operator said to me,"I have been told to shut and you cannie come in."I was 21 in the army and vaulted over before he finished his sentence.So it was 29,101 mate.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)