+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Notts Squad

Notts Squad

Back to football for a bit.

I am not sure if this is correct but I read on social media that Notts only have 4 players in contract for next season.

I think that is Roberts, Wootton, Enzio and I forget the 4th might be Dennis.

Based on the assumption that we start next season as normal, which is a pretty big assumption who would you keep and how on earth do you offer terms in the current environment.

Slocombe
    Lacey
    Rawlinson
    Bird ( but he will go)
    OBrien
    Doyle but not so much as first name on the team sheet
    Crawford
    Kelly Evans
    Booty
    Osborne

Lose

Rose
    Fitzsimons
    Tootle
    Mcrory
    Oxlaide who are you
    Turner ( big wage )
    Bakayogo
    Tyson
    Thomas
    Shields

Haven't passed comment on most of the youngsters my knowledge isnt good enough I see all the games on iview for the most part.

As for offering terms the leagues are going to be awash with uncontracted footballers and clubs are not going to be awash with cash. I think many at our level may have to go part time again if this drags on. Most players will surely be looking at 1 year contracts and very reduced terms.

I'd keep Turner, and possibly McRory and Thomas. Then again there might be plenty of gems out there wanting contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Back to football for a bit.

I am not sure if this is correct but I read on social media that Notts only have 4 players in contract for next season.

I think that is Roberts, Wootton, Enzio and I forget the 4th might be Dennis.

Based on the assumption that we start next season as normal, which is a pretty big assumption who would you keep and how on earth do you offer terms in the current environment.

Slocombe
    Lacey
    Rawlinson
    Bird ( but he will go)
    OBrien
    Doyle but not so much as first name on the team sheet
    Crawford
    Kelly Evans
    Booty
    Osborne

Lose

Rose
    Fitzsimons
    Tootle
    Mcrory
    Oxlaide who are you
    Turner ( big wage )
    Bakayogo
    Tyson
    Thomas
    Shields

Haven't passed comment on most of the youngsters my knowledge isnt good enough I see all the games on iview for the most part.

As for offering terms the leagues are going to be awash with uncontracted footballers and clubs are not going to be awash with cash. I think many at our level may have to go part time again if this drags on. Most players will surely be looking at 1 year contracts and very reduced terms.
    We have 2 massive issues that stop us doing anything. Firstly, what League will we be in? 80% certain National League but until it’s confirmed there is no way Notts can plan. Secondly, if the rumours are true about the National League starting next season in 2021,Notts again would be wasting money if indeed we are in that League and it starts then.
    That said if Notts can afford to, they should sign all the players you listed and I would still add Turner (if he can get fit) and I like McCrory and the gaffer likes Rose so might as well add them to that list regardless of the league we are in. All those are more than capable. That would give us 16 players with 6 - 8 to add. Some of which could be loanees

I think the 4th may actually be Bakayogo, along with Roberts, Wooton and Enzio as you say. It’s certainly an interesting position to be in, particularly in the current climate! I’d agree that we should try and keep as much of the core squad together as possible. It was just starting to gel and looked pretty strong for this level and we need to avoid another huge overhaul if possible. Just lose some of the fringe players such as Oxlade-C, Shields (loan anyway), Fitz etc. I’d keep Doyle for his experience as well, still fit as a fiddle and has lots to offer for one more season at least IMO. He’ll also want to go out on a high note if he does retire end of next season - whenever that may actually be!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    I'd keep Turner, and possibly McRory and Thomas. Then again there might be plenty of gems out there wanting contracts.
    We have an embarrasment of riches upfront and plenty of goals. Thomas will be on good coin and is the wrong side of 30 and I think we can get a youngster or two in, hopefully in the style of roberts on much less dosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    We have 2 massive issues that stop us doing anything. Firstly, what League will we be in? 80% certain National League but until it’s confirmed there is no way Notts can plan. Secondly, if the rumours are true about the National League starting next season in 2021,Notts again would be wasting money if indeed we are in that League and it starts then.
    That said if Notts can afford to, they should sign all the players you listed and I would still add Turner (if he can get fit) and I like McCrory and the gaffer likes Rose so might as well add them to that list regardless of the league we are in. All those are more than capable. That would give us 16 players with 6 - 8 to add. Some of which could be loanees
    As per my response on Thomas I think Lacey and Rawlinson are ample at this level and Bird is a good back up. We should lose that big wage from a marquee signing and get a loanee in such as perhaps Long again as back up.

Rawlinson and Lacey are a must for me - if possible. They’ve been the best centre back pairing we’ve had for years I reckon.

I thought Crawford was out of contract, glad he's not. I think Wes Thomas has done well this season and wouldn't mind giving him another season.
    There could be some really good players released this summer to pick from and whatever people think of Neal Ardley, he's signed far more good than bad.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    We have an embarrasment of riches upfront and plenty of goals. Thomas will be on good coin and is the wrong side of 30 and I think we can get a youngster or two in, hopefully in the style of roberts on much less dosh.
    TBH I'd be surprised if any of them are on "good coin." Perhaps someone can enlighten?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinter68 View Post
    I think the 4th may actually be Bakayogo, along with Roberts, Wooton and Enzio as you say. It’s certainly an interesting position to be in, particularly in the current climate! I’d agree that we should try and keep as much of the core squad together as possible. It was just starting to gel and looked pretty strong for this level and we need to avoid another huge overhaul if possible. Just lose some of the fringe players such as Oxlade-C, Shields (loan anyway), Fitz etc. I’d keep Doyle for his experience as well, still fit as a fiddle and has lots to offer for one more season at least IMO. He’ll also want to go out on a high note if he does retire end of next season - whenever that may actually be!
    Enzio, and Bakayoko are under contract until the summer of 2021. Wootton and Roberts are under contract until the summer of 2022.

While we are on the topic of players and contracts I wonder what clubs will do? If clubs want to reduce their costs they could not offer any of their current out of contract players new contracts to which the transfer market would get flooded with an abundance of free agents. However the clubs run the risk of losing good players and breaking their squads up. That might be something some clubs will have to do to survive long term?

Or will clubs offer the players they want to retain a pre-contract for when the season gets going? If that isn’t until January then what do players do about income for six months? Or will clubs just sign them up in July like they normally would and pay them until the season commences?

I only hope one of the positives that comes out of this crisis is that the power may now switch to clubs rather than parasitic agents with their fees pushing up their players salaries because for many clubs the money just isn’t or won’t be there. Football has been dining out in its own micro economy immune to the normal world economy and has been in its own financial bubble for years. Well that bubble has well and truly burst for many clubs.

Lots to sort out for clubs up and down the land in the next couple of months in terms of players.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 14-05-2020 at 11:06 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast