+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: League two clubs vote to end season

As soon as the virus hit and stopped the completion of the season, Notts were always going to get fcuked over. The football league are going to look after themselves and there's no way we'll be able to play the playoffs. Just got to suck it up I reckon, at least it's shown that next season non of this faffing about, we need to put teams to the sword from day one and get out of this league.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    As soon as the virus hit and stopped the completion of the season, Notts were always going to get fcuked over. The football league are going to look after themselves and there's no way we'll be able to play the playoffs. Just got to suck it up I reckon, at least it's shown that next season non of this faffing about, we need to put teams to the sword from day one and get out of this league.
    I agree completely. Though I still feel we have done well to be where were given the state the club was in this time last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I agree completely. Though I still feel we have done well to be where were given the state the club was in this time last year.
    Me too. It is a mess without a doubt. I don't want to see any clubs go bust though.

Ok we have been in the National League, but has it been that much worse than being in L2? I am not saying it has or hasn't, it is a genuine question.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Yes it's looking more and more likely that the EFL are going to close the door to inviting more than one team from the National League this season, and that will likely be Barrow to replace Bury.

If we were in Stevenage's position and were relegated out of the football league without the season being completed especially with Macclesfield getting points deductions since the games stopped playing meaning that there is only 3 points between those two we would be livid.

I think our only hope of a return to the football league this summer is if a football league club go under and if (and it's a big if) the National League playoffs are allowed to go ahead. If not then Harrogate could get invited, to which we would need two league clubs to go under to stand a chance of an automatic invite.

It could be an uncomfortable truth that we may have to face that we end up having to go again and put this last season down as a rebuilding exercise which means we will have learned a lot about this league and be in a far stronger position than we were at the start of this season. The positives being that next season we will have a group of players who know how to play as a team and know each other and with the odd additional signing we could really hit the ground running from day one this time and pick up where we left off against Eastleigh on the 14th March.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 15-05-2020 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Yes it's looking more and more likely that the EFL are going to close the door to inviting more than one team from the National League this season, and that will likely be Barrow to replace Bury.

If we were in Stevenage's position and were relegated out of the football league without the season being completed especially with Macclesfield getting points deductions since the games stopped playing meaning that there is only 3 points between those two we would be livid.

I think our only hope of a return to the football league this summer is if a football league club go under and if (and it's a big if) the National League playoffs are allowed to go ahead. If not then Harrogate could get invited, to which we would need two league clubs to go under to stand a chance of an automatic invite.
    Do Harrogate have the funds to remove their plastic pitch? These are all things that need to be considered if playoffs are to be used. No point in Harrogate taking part if they can't go up. This has massive knock on effects, it's not going to be normal for a few seasons

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post

It could be an uncomfortable truth that we may have to face that we end up having to go again and put this last season down as a rebuilding exercise which means we will have learned a lot about this league and be in a far stronger position than we were at the start of this season. The positives being that next season we will have a group of players who know how to play as a team and know each other and with the odd additional signing we could really hit the ground running from day one this time and pick up where we left off against Eastleigh on the 14th March.
    I agree, but the reasons Stevenage should not be relegated according to FL are exactly why it would be wrong to promote Barrow. There is no reason to believe Barrow would have finished top. Nothing more than a guess.

Far too many on here are assuming it's a given that season 20-21 will kick off in August / September. The one thing we know about this virus is that you cannot accurately predict its progress. A second wave in the order that many experts think is likely could dispel all hopes of an autumn start.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    I agree, but the reasons Stevenage should not be relegated according to FL are exactly why it would be wrong to promote Barrow. There is no reason to believe Barrow would have finished top. Nothing more than a guess.
    I think it's because Liverpool are so far ahead that people are generally in the mindset that teams in first place should be handed the title/promotion, without taking into account the enormous difference in circumstances. France awarded PSG the title, who were 12 points clear with a game in hand, in Holland however the team in 1st was not handed the title as Ajaz and Alkmaar were neck and neck. Barrow's position is much more comparable to the Dutch league than the French.

The biggest injustice of all would be Charlton being relegated as apparently they only dropped into the bottom 3 for the first time all season the weekend before lockdown and they were due to play fellow strugglers Hull (one place above them) next and could have moved up 5 places with a win.

There is an extended version of my first post.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52679614

We might get promoted even if there is no relegation from league 2

If league 1 also don’t relegate anyone, then league 2 will be short of teams (promoting some and not having any relegated to replace them)

If league 1 don’t relegate anyone then league 2 will likely need 3/4 teams from the national league

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast