+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: League two clubs vote to end season

League two clubs vote to end season

League Two's season has been brought to an early conclusion following discussions between clubs and the English Football League.

The table is set to be decided using a points-per-game method, but promotion and relegation are not finalised.

There are still plans for the play-offs to take place as usual, with two-legged semi-finals and then a final.

Meanwhile, teams in League One will have to meet again on Monday after failing to come to an agreement.

On Thursday, six third-tier clubs had said they were determined to complete their remaining fixtures.

With League One and the National League, both of which feed clubs into League Two, yet to decide how their final tables will look, it means clubs at the top and bottom of League Two will have to wait for their fate.

Crewe Alexandra were top of the division when the season was halted, with Swindon Town and Plymouth Argyle in the other two automatic promotion places.

Stevenage were bottom and occupied the sole relegation slot.

It is understood League Two clubs want to use a weighted points-per-game system to finalise the table, which takes into account the average points won both home and away.

That method removes any bias for sides who have played more home games than their rival

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52679614

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    League Two's season has been brought to an early conclusion following discussions between clubs and the English Football League.

The table is set to be decided using a points-per-game method, but promotion and relegation are not finalised.

There are still plans for the play-offs to take place as usual, with two-legged semi-finals and then a final.

Meanwhile, teams in League One will have to meet again on Monday after failing to come to an agreement.

On Thursday, six third-tier clubs had said they were determined to complete their remaining fixtures.

With League One and the National League, both of which feed clubs into League Two, yet to decide how their final tables will look, it means clubs at the top and bottom of League Two will have to wait for their fate.

Crewe Alexandra were top of the division when the season was halted, with Swindon Town and Plymouth Argyle in the other two automatic promotion places.

Stevenage were bottom and occupied the sole relegation slot.

It is understood League Two clubs want to use a weighted points-per-game system to finalise the table, which takes into account the average points won both home and away.

That method removes any bias for sides who have played more home games than their rival

I resurrected the NL making a decision thread with this news. I would say that if they are planning promotion and relegation as well as playoffs then there is no reason why the NL can’t do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I resurrected the NL making a decision thread with this news. I would say that if they are planning promotion and relegation as well as playoffs then there is no reason why the NL can’t do the same.
    Sky sports are reporting that League 2 have asked to scrub relegation...

This sucks, but nothing we can do about it, other than lobby for another 12 months of parachute payment?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Sky sports are reporting that League 2 have asked to scrub relegation...
    I have seen that but if you can promote teams on a PPG basis then you can relegate teams too.

I would expect Barrow to take legal action if Stevenage or Macclesfield aren't relegated.

barrow will go up. they have to replace bury somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    I have seen that but if you can promote teams on a PPG basis then you can relegate teams too.

I would expect Barrow to take legal action if Stevenage or Macclesfield aren't relegated.
    The way is panning out, Barrow will be the beneficiary if this. They get promotion to replace Bury most likely. As the seasons aren't null and void, we haven't got any legal basis so it looks like another season down below

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    The way is panning out, Barrow will be the beneficiary if this. They get promotion to replace Bury most likely. As the seasons aren't null and void, we haven't got any legal basis so it looks like another season down below
    I'd argue we have got a case we started the season knowing 2-7th is a play off place.

If leagues one/two have them so should NL.

Otherwise Stevenage have been rewarded for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post

Just did the maths, if our league did the same and was decided by average home pts + average away pts the table wouldn't change much, apart from Barnet climbing to 7th

Barrow
    Harrogate
    Notts
    Yeovil
    Boreham
    Halifax
    Barnet

Same if its straight pts per game

Macclesfield are in dire legal straits with their inability to pay wages so it might be them rather than Stevenage who take the fall. In which case, Barrow are the most likely beneficiaries.
    Only if both Stevenage & Maccs are relegated, are the National League likely to do a playoff scenario.
    I cannot see any justification for League 2 scrubbing relegation.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast