+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: League two clubs vote to end season

Quote Originally Posted by Chinawhite1000 View Post
    Well it looks like the Stevenage Chairman must read Notts Mad as he is now trying to push exactly that - that they are saved - but it goes to 3 up 3 down from next season;-

https://www.stevenagefc.com/news/202...24th-may-2020/

"A long time ago, as Vice Chairman of the Conference, I fought relentlessly, along with our Board, for 2 Up 2 Down. We finally achieved that in 2003, with a view to moving to 3 Up 3 Down within a reasonable timeframe. But 17 years on, 3U3D has still not materialised. So perhaps now is the time to use this turmoil to deliver more fluidity between the EFL and National League with 3U3D.

"Since the National League season wasn’t completed in the way it was intended, one option is to leave League Two as it is, with no relegation, and promote one club from the NL this season instead of two, to bring the EFL back to 72 teams, but with 3U3D established and in place for next season. No lawsuits, no clubs bankrupted and something created for the National League that appears to be impossible to achieve.

"There is no financial penalty for any League Two club with this option either, as the budgeted relegation savings from League 2 this season can be applied to the 3rd relegated team. Funding was always the main problem to 3U3D, in that there wasn’t any. If we don’t relegate this season, there will be around £2million of EFL relegation savings over the next 2 seasons to make 3U3D happen.

"If the National League would agree, I believe this could be an option for clubs to consider and vote upon as a solution to the bottom of the EFL."
    So he wants to implement it from NEXT season in exchange for no League 2 relegation this season. To save a club that has won 3 league games all season.
    Here is my counter offer. No. Relegate Stevenage and look to promote 2 as intended.
    Next season move to the 3 up and 3 down. I would modify slightly where I would put the team that finishes 3rd bottom in the football league in to the National League play off picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    So he wants to implement it from NEXT season in exchange for no League 2 relegation this season. To save a club that has won 3 league games all season.
    Here is my counter offer. No. Relegate Stevenage and look to promote 2 as intended.
    Next season move to the 3 up and 3 down. I would modify slightly where I would put the team that finishes 3rd bottom in the football league in to the National League play off picture.
    Yep- that's a far better result;- Stevenage go down and the NL still gets what it wants

If Stevenage staying up is the price that has to be paid for a permanent extra promotion place, than I think it’s a price worth paying.

I don’t think the league will go for it though.

Dagenham and Redbridge's managing director fears the National League may not be able to resume until well into the autumn.

Fifth-tier clubs voted to end the season a month ago due to coronavirus.

But Steve Thompson says unless clubs can play in front of crowds, it is unlikely the 2020-21 season will begin on 8 August as originally scheduled.

"It may not be until September or October or even later before we are allowed to resume," he said.

Dagenham, who played in the English Football League from 2007 to 2016, have furloughed all their players and many of their non-playing staff.

Thompson said he is constantly reviewing the club's costs to try and get it in the best financial shape for when football resumes and will not be signing any players until a confirmed start date for the new season is known.

And he believes it is unlikely that sides at National League level will have the funds or facilities to replicate bringing players back to training, with Covid-19 testing, as is happening in the Premier League and Championship.

"The protocol around the return to training for Premier League and Championship clubs is so onerous and costly, it is hard to see how the rest of football can replicate it, even in a limited play-off scenario.

"But things are changing daily so it cannot be completely ruled out," he told the club website.

"For clubs like Dagenham & Redbridge, the focus must now be on when the start of the 2020-2021 season might be.

"As mentioned, the current costs involved in returning to training are too much to be currently viable in the National League, nor is the prospect of playing games at our level behind closed doors."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52805481

Well it looks like the Stevenage Chairman must read Notts Mad as he is now trying to push exactly that - that they are saved - but it goes to 3 up 3 down from next season;-

https://www.stevenagefc.com/news/202...24th-may-2020/

"A long time ago, as Vice Chairman of the Conference, I fought relentlessly, along with our Board, for 2 Up 2 Down. We finally achieved that in 2003, with a view to moving to 3 Up 3 Down within a reasonable timeframe. But 17 years on, 3U3D has still not materialised. So perhaps now is the time to use this turmoil to deliver more fluidity between the EFL and National League with 3U3D.

"Since the National League season wasn’t completed in the way it was intended, one option is to leave League Two as it is, with no relegation, and promote one club from the NL this season instead of two, to bring the EFL back to 72 teams, but with 3U3D established and in place for next season. No lawsuits, no clubs bankrupted and something created for the National League that appears to be impossible to achieve.

"There is no financial penalty for any League Two club with this option either, as the budgeted relegation savings from League 2 this season can be applied to the 3rd relegated team. Funding was always the main problem to 3U3D, in that there wasn’t any. If we don’t relegate this season, there will be around £2million of EFL relegation savings over the next 2 seasons to make 3U3D happen.

"If the National League would agree, I believe this could be an option for clubs to consider and vote upon as a solution to the bottom of the EFL."
    Quite simple really, Stevenage & Macclesfield play-off for who goes down - relegation would have been between those two anyway, so what is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Quite simple really, Stevenage & Macclesfield play-off for who goes down - relegation would have been between those two anyway, so what is the problem?
    Yes, just one game would be all that is required of them. It would more than likely save Stevenage anyway if they agreed to it because Macc either wouldn't be able to put a team out and would have to default or they'd field a dilapidated/unmotivated team.

The argument against 3 up 3 down must be that it would weaken the Football League (and of course, for a FL club to vote for it increases the likelihood of them being relegated)i. You've got the Boston, Rushden and Macc Town experience and whilst Fleetwood, Accrington, Burton and to a lesser extent FGR are all doing well, they aren't exactly pulling in the crowds, at home or away.

Reduced capacities was mentioned this morning on talkSport, they didn't discuss the idea but a phrase (something like "Safe distance seating") did come up when they were talking about resuming next season, so presumably it is an idea that has already been talked about at a higher level.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 26-05-2020 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Yes, just one game would be all that is required of them. It would more than likely save Stevenage anyway if they agreed to it because Macc either wouldn't be able to put a team out and would have to default or they'd field a dilapidated/unmotivated team.

The argument against 3 up 3 down must be that it would weaken the Football League (and of course, for a FL club to vote for it increases the likelihood of them being relegated)i. You've got the Boston, Rushden and Macc Town experience and whilst Fleetwood, Accrington, Burton and to a lesser extent FGR are all doing well, they aren't exactly pulling in the crowds, at home or away.

Reduced capacities was mentioned this morning on talkSport, they didn't discuss the idea but a phrase (something like "Safe distance seating") did come up when they were talking about resuming next season, so presumably it is an idea that has already been talked about at a higher level.
    You could even just go straight to penalties - each player uses a different ball - social distancing is easy and no need for testing... given Macclesfield and Stevenage's goalscoring record it might still take 90 mins though...

As for reduced capacity - if paying customers are not allowed in let some (say 1000 - as you can socially distance 1000 in a 20000 seater stadium) apply to be volunteer stewards each match. They can hire the high vis jackets from the club (for the same cost as a match ticket) and space them around the ground - purely so they can throw the ball back when it goes out of play of course....

You could even just go straight to penalties - each player uses a different ball - social distancing is easy and no need for testing... given Macclesfield and Stevenage's goalscoring record it might still take 90 mins though.......
    The Penalty shoot out could be done individually by each player in their own garden with some random relative (from the same household) in goal. It could all be filmed on a mobile phone and broadcast as a Zoom conference call. Sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    The Penalty shoot out could be done individually by each player in their own garden with some random relative (from the same household) in goal. It could all be filmed on a mobile phone and broadcast as a Zoom conference call. Sorted.
    That's astonishingly close to a proper Wembley playoff, I'd go for that every time unless a proper Subbuteo game could be arranged with the 3 best flickers from each team taking part.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Who's going to foot the bill for testing for all the clubs likely to compete in play off's? This is one of the reasons I'm not convinced the play off's will happen in the NL.
    There surely should be enough money English football to fund the testing of the 12 teams in playoff positions in L1, L2 and NL to maintain the integrity of the respective competitions? That maybe the only slither of hope for clubs like ours?

On the basis of the playoffs being completed by the time of player contracts ending at the end of June we ideally needed to be back in training this week if Neal Ardley's aspirations of a four week preparation period is required prior to commencing the playoffs. As I have stated previously that would have taken us to the third weekend in June for the first round of playoffs and then the following weekend for the final to which contracts would run out early the week after.

There has been no statement or anything from the National League either since the EFL announcement last Thursday that relegation and promotion will still happen across the respective leagues. So another week has gone by with no apparent movements forward?

The clock is ticking and it will soon get to a point where there will not be enough time for clubs to prepare for the playoffs unless they do something radical and automatically extend those players out of contracts for a month. That is presuming players who are going to be out of contract want to play. Plus those who are in contract as well? At the end of the day it has to be safe.

It's only been announced today that players in the premier league can begin tackling again in training and have minimal contact so they are essentially the test case before other leagues follow.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 27-05-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast