+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginning of the end of society?

Beginning of the end of society?

I've been working from home for 2 months now and apart from my daily conference call the only people I've spoken to is the wife, her daughter and the postman plus the odd pleasantry with the neighbours.
    No prospect of going back for a few months yet.
    Most of the population must be getting up, throwing a T-shirt and a pair of jeans on and either sitting at a computer or slobbing around., watch a bit of Netflix, bed, and repeat.
    With most kids already confining themselves to their bedrooms, pubs & restaurants closed and no sport to attend or play things aren't looking too rosy.
    Not even the prospect of a holiday to look forward to.
    My granddaughter is 5 months old and we've only been able to watch her grow up through the window and on an occasional video clip.
    In a few months time we'll all be 2 stone heavier, unshaven slobs.
    We need social interaction with both ***es and all ages, and at the moment there's only one thing to talk about, and nobody to talk to.

We are going to beat this thing eventually , right now it's bloody worrying on a number of levels .

We could be like this for some time , 12 or 18 months but we have to get on with but it , let's not lose hope .

6 years the people and the military went through WW2 .

Air raids most nights .

Rationing

Worried about loved ones fighting .

Threat of invasion

What the future held .

They stood strong and took the hardship on the chin and eventually overcame the Germans and Japanese in Asia .

We can do this .

I'm sure some of us can but listening to some of the phone ins, there are so many self centred losers out there, wallowing in self pity.
    Half the country are straining at the leash, desperate to get out, the other half don't sound like they ever want to go out again.
    Some would go back to work tomorrow whether it's safe or not, some I'm sure are happy to pick up their 80% and will have to be dragged back to work.
    There are so many angles on so many topics, there is no solution that anyone will ever agree on.
    If they remove lockdown there'll be outrage, if they don't release it there'll be outrage, and all people can do is squabble over statistics and say 'We should have done this, we shouldn't have done that'.

I think some parts of society will improve when it’s all over. As Animal says, the war was a long stretch, how dare we complain about the hardships we have, with our TVs, laptops and iPhones to help us through. When we say that we are struggling, then it’s nowhere near what they went through in the war.

There’s a nasty side to this, and I appreciate people are dying. But, I’m quite enjoying some aspects of it

I’m enjoying walking the dog and people you pass saying Hello, some people actually stopping to talk, strangers asking how you are, people I’ve passed loads of times with their dogs ACTUALLY speaking, and asking “How are you.”?

(I’m NOT THOUGH ,However enjoying the thousands of “Virgin walkers” who are cluttering the quiet country lanes ( AND YES,..... I get the lanes and footpaths don’t belong to me and the dog) but have some of them never ACTUALLY seen a dog Sh!te before? and do they HAVE to look at me like I’m not going to pick it up, just because I haven’t got the bag out fast enough ....

I’m loving the people in shops ( mostly ) being Polite. The woman in Morrison’s on Monday actually asked me how Imwas, and NOT just because she had been told to, to score Mystery shopper bonus....She actually meant it.

On the occasions I’ve gone to supermarket, there’s been a much better experience. Less of a “rush in, rush out scenario”..... less pressure to “pack your bag and F*ck off quick” A more polite society may emerge from this...... people talking in the queue to get in...

I’m not missing the Pub, drinking five pints of the same beer, one after another of a Sunday afternoon is losing its appeal, five bottles of different ales I’ve not had before, or for a long time has been enjoyable.

I’m not missing the TV ( only goes on after the news. (Mrs Jules watches Shouty Mc Shoutface on GMTV in a morning) And I don’t watch news at all be it at 6, 9 or ten. I read the news online and then put music on, something I’d lost touch with.

I’ve cooked more, slowly.! Enjoyed it, rather than slamming it in the pan! Taken time to plan, and been careful with the planning or shopping too to avoid a “sh!t, we haven’t got any” moments. We’ve probably eaten better, but spent less because we’ve planned meals, shopped with a list, and stuck to it, as we know we can’t just “call at ........”

What have I missed most......? Hodger hit the nail on the head, slobbing in a t shirt and jeans every day isn’t good! .... I really miss
    Getting ready to go out, which nice clean shirt? , which trousers?, have I clean shoes.... ?

I want to get back to normal..... like the rest, but I think I like some aspects of this new norm.
    Last edited by Jules88; 15-05-2020 at 11:56 PM.

There's worse things in life. The lockdown has given me a different perspective on things on a personal note. The chickens have come home to roost in certain aspects of my life. The daily grind of my work, the bad habits that go hand in hand with it have been exorcised.

Over the last two months I've come to realize the effects that my job and lifestyle has had on me. Cigarettes have been cut from around 25/30 a day to 10/12 at the most. My alcohol intake has gone from an average of 2 cans of beer a day to 2 cans per week or some weeks none at all. My sleep is improving from around 5 hrs per night previously to 6 or 7 hrs now. I'm not getting up at 5.30am every day anymore and feeling like a zombie.

My eating habits are consisting of 3 proper meals per day instead of grabbing some weetabix for breakfast then eating a crappy sarny in the van for my lunch. My gambling has dramatically decreased although it has to be said that the lack of income has curtailed that somewhat. Funny thing is though, I've not missed it as much as I thought I would, that also goes for all the other things I've mentioned.

The psychological impact my job has had on me over the years has seen me fall into far too many bad habits. Taking time out has made me realize the sheer stupidity of it all and what I put myself through on a weekly basis. My job is physically demanding and I'm self employed, therefore there's no tossing about or spinning work out, watching the clock or sitting on sh1t house reading the Daily Sport for aif an hour. I get paid by item rather than the hour. It's tough going so a couple of tinnies when I get home numbs the pain somewhat before I start cooking.

I could get used to this current lifestyle though, spending more time with my kids, watching them growing up where as previously I'd slump in the armchair after my tea having no energy and not much time for them. The only draw back is the lack of physical activity. I've not set foot away from my street since the lockdown started and I've put on a few pounds in weight.

My goal is to start exercising now the lockdown rules have been relaxed although I'm not 100% confident and comfortable with it just yet. I intend taking the kids out and getting some fresh air in our lungs and taking in some wildlife and scenery. There's some cracking walks to be had around this town, beautiful countryside all around us, summertime weather, what more could thy ask fo? I'm gonna take some pencils and paper and sketch from the inspiration of my surroundings, something I've not done in years and something I loved doing as a juvenile. Ashley Jackson am coming fo thi!!

There's many more things I intend to do of course, things I've missed doing due to my daily grind and the psychological impact its had on me.

I understand people have different responsibilities or different financial pressures but there's so many positive things life can bring during these changing times. Embrace it guys and take the positives from it, use it to learn something or re-take up hobbies that faded years ago. I'm just glad that I have cos life's too bloody short.

We will meet again.

When it's over we may allow ourselves a brief period of rejoicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodger1957 View Post
    I've been working from home for 2 months now and apart from my daily conference call the only people I've spoken to is the wife, her daughter and the postman plus the odd pleasantry with the neighbours.
    No prospect of going back for a few months yet.
    Most of the population must be getting up, throwing a T-shirt and a pair of jeans on and either sitting at a computer or slobbing around., watch a bit of Netflix, bed, and repeat.
    With most kids already confining themselves to their bedrooms, pubs & restaurants closed and no sport to attend or play things aren't looking too rosy.
    Not even the prospect of a holiday to look forward to.
    My granddaughter is 5 months old and we've only been able to watch her grow up through the window and on an occasional video clip.
    In a few months time we'll all be 2 stone heavier, unshaven slobs.
    We need social interaction with both ***es and all ages, and at the moment there's only one thing to talk about, and nobody to talk to.
    Beginning of the end of society

I think you may find that began on 4 May 1979 & has been going down hill ever since

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    There's worse things in life. The lockdown has given me a different perspective on things on a personal note. The chickens have come home to roost in certain aspects of my life. The daily grind of my work, the bad habits that go hand in hand with it have been exorcised.

Over the last two months I've come to realize the effects that my job and lifestyle has had on me. Cigarettes have been cut from around 25/30 a day to 10/12 at the most. My alcohol intake has gone from an average of 2 cans of beer a day to 2 cans per week or some weeks none at all. My sleep is improving from around 5 hrs per night previously to 6 or 7 hrs now. I'm not getting up at 5.30am every day anymore and feeling like a zombie.

My eating habits are consisting of 3 proper meals per day instead of grabbing some weetabix for breakfast then eating a crappy sarny in the van for my lunch. My gambling has dramatically decreased although it has to be said that the lack of income has curtailed that somewhat. Funny thing is though, I've not missed it as much as I thought I would, that also goes for all the other things I've mentioned.

The psychological impact my job has had on me over the years has seen me fall into far too many bad habits. Taking time out has made me realize the sheer stupidity of it all and what I put myself through on a weekly basis. My job is physically demanding and I'm self employed, therefore there's no tossing about or spinning work out, watching the clock or sitting on sh1t house reading the Daily Sport for aif an hour. I get paid by item rather than the hour. It's tough going so a couple of tinnies when I get home numbs the pain somewhat before I start cooking.

I could get used to this current lifestyle though, spending more time with my kids, watching them growing up where as previously I'd slump in the armchair after my tea having no energy and not much time for them. The only draw back is the lack of physical activity. I've not set foot away from my street since the lockdown started and I've put on a few pounds in weight.

My goal is to start exercising now the lockdown rules have been relaxed although I'm not 100% confident and comfortable with it just yet. I intend taking the kids out and getting some fresh air in our lungs and taking in some wildlife and scenery. There's some cracking walks to be had around this town, beautiful countryside all around us, summertime weather, what more could thy ask fo? I'm gonna take some pencils and paper and sketch from the inspiration of my surroundings, something I've not done in years and something I loved doing as a juvenile. Ashley Jackson am coming fo thi!!

There's many more things I intend to do of course, things I've missed doing due to my daily grind and the psychological impact its had on me.

I understand people have different responsibilities or different financial pressures but there's so many positive things life can bring during these changing times. Embrace it guys and take the positives from it, use it to learn something or re-take up hobbies that faded years ago. I'm just glad that I have cos life's too bloody short.
    Great reflective and honest post Pass .

I can reconcile with some of your thoughts about work .

I'm not as tired as my job is quite physically demanding too , some days it can be manic and come 8pm through the week I'm ready for the feather , from getting up on a morning to coming home it's just shy of a 12 hour day with the travelling .

Come the weekends I couldn't be assed to do anything and the gardens got neglected a bit and I've reconnected with it these past few weeks , it's something ive always enjoyed in the past .

JLO's had to carry on working as she is a key worker but it's taken the pressure off her too at home , I've do all the chores and she walks in to her tea on the table when she comes home .

In her words you don't realise how much difference it makes .

I've even managed to get myself of some prescription tablets I'd taken for years but hadn't needed them for many years but I'd became addicted to them , you don't realise what the side effects are like till you stop which basically means you are addicted to them without knowing if that makes sense .

Learning to play the guitar is on my list too , creating my own blog and I fancy learning another language .

It's a real eye opener is this and I've hardly watched any TV , not missed anything Sport wise at all , maybe The Masters at a push .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Great reflective and honest post Pass .

I can reconcile with some of your thoughts about work .

I'm not as tired as my job is quite physically demanding too , some days it can be manic and come 8pm through the week I'm ready for the feather , from getting up on a morning to coming home it's just shy of a 12 hour day with the travelling .

Come the weekends I couldn't be assed to do anything and the gardens got neglected a bit and I've reconnected with it these past few weeks , it's something ive always enjoyed in the past .

JLO's had to carry on working as she is a key worker but it's taken the pressure off her too at home , I've do all the chores and she walks in to her tea on the table when she comes home .

In her words you don't realise how much difference it makes .

I've even managed to get myself of some prescription tablets I'd taken for years but hadn't needed them for many years but I'd became addicted to them , you don't realise what the side effects are like till you stop which basically means you are addicted to them without knowing if that makes sense .

Learning to play the guitar is on my list too , creating my own blog and I fancy learning another language .

It's a real eye opener is this and I've hardly watched any TV , not missed anything Sport wise at all , maybe The Masters at a push .

Good for you mate, persue those aims and ambitions. I'm glad you understood my post and what I was saying. Some people just don't get it. I know exactly what you mean about being addicted to something that you don't realise. It does make sense.

Something else I didn't mention was my health and turning a blind eye to it. The amount of times I've gone to work when I shouldn't have. Working through the pain barrier and my ailments. Waking up with gout in my knee or my foot, necking some naproxen and working through it. Taking anti inflammatories or pain killers on a regular basis because some part of my body has flared up. Fecking stupid but that's how you get when you're a grafter and you're daily routine is stuck in your head. It's almost like you get institutionalized by your circumstances.

I honestly think what is the point of it all? I've worked bloody hard for 20 odd years, paid off my mortgage and can lead a comfortable life without these rigors. Do I really need to be working this hard? Stuck up a ladder in the pyssing darn rain, sometimes travelling to places like Hornsea, Whitby and Scarborough on a daily basis and getting paid feck all for 4/5 hrs travelling? Doing all this whilst telling yourself that there's a well earned holiday at the end of it all.

Don't get me wrong there is a pleasing side to my job and an element of freedom, you're not really beholden to anyone as such. Every day presents a different challenge. It also tests your thinking ability at times, It has some perks too. After doing this 20 years I couldn't honestly see myself lasting 2 minutes in an average 9 to 5 job where the supervisor is on a power trip or there's back stabbing office politics going on. It's just not me and wouldn't be something I'm able to tolerate.

It's certainly proving to be a ponderous time this lockdown

Some good honest comments and I'm glad everyone's coping.
    The main point of my post was the lack of face to face communication.
    Everyone seems to be saying that working from home could be the way forward - it's not.
    I log on at 8-30 every morning and some days don't log off until 7 at night.
    Apart from the 10 minute conference call I don't speak to anyone, it's all e-mails.
    When I was in the office I sat next to a jack the lad in his early 20's and 2 21 year old girls who talk sh1te all day.
    You need that for balance, and they need me to give them advice on life in general. We have a laugh.
    They all drive flash cars, go on holidays regularly all over the world, and they're up to their necks in debt.
    They don't know how to really enjoy a night out. They get p1ssed at home before they go out. Nobody seems to play team sports anymore.
    For the best part of 20 years my week would consist of football training / cricket nets midweek plus a few nights out, then at weekend, meet in the pub at 8 on a Friday night, stagger out of a club at 2 for a burger / kebab.
    Saturday afternoon play football followed by another big night out. Up for football Sunday morning followed by a few pints then home for live match on TV.
    I've still got loads of mates from football / cricket.
    When I played on Saturdays the league had 3 competitive divisions, the Sunday league had 9.
    This season the Saturday league was scrapped because only 5 teams registered, the Sunday league now has 4 divisions.
    If you take all that and add working from home, we've got a problem.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast