+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: resurgence of trade unions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudskipper View Post
    Never got that one either especially in the last 20 years,I have a few mates with their own businesses and have had plenty of support for apprenticeships where it’s actually cost negative ,the hard part is getting through to a 16 year old that you can’t come in late because you’ve fallen out with your girlfriend or you were online all night playing Call of Duty with Bubba from LA....
    😂

i remember in the seventies working in the north of england,hundreds of companies had blacklists of thousands of workers who had gone on strike, or had been union reps at some point.
    thats the sort of tactics the workers were up against, and it took years and years for this disgrace to be exposed.

remember my mate in MANCHESTER, (SPARKIE} could not get a job anywhere, even as far as the midlands, because he was on the blacklist.
    finally the union got him a job, in the boatyard in DUNDDEE !

It got worse in the eighties when thatcher was prime minister, and the fight against the unions became political.
    the police were stopping cars on the motorways at random because four men were in the car and police thought they may be going to disputes for picket duty.
    people here will remember the TIMEX DISPUTE in Dundee.
    shaded is correct, people take for granted, shorter working weeks,sick pay. paid holidays, maternity leave, P.P.E. ETC.
    Many people had to make sacrifices to achieve these conditions of employment.

I think having someone in your corner surely can only be a good thing.?
    Yip there are as many Bad union Reps as poor bosses who don’t know how do deal with staff conflict situations., that said there very many good bosses out there and very conscientious Union Reps

In my opinion most the things In the workplace that we today take for granted were won by Unions on our behalf.

That the Tories would love to see the back of unions should be reason enough by itself to keep them.

By all means though have a modern Union approach reflecting the working environment today and not what it was 50 years ago

i remember in the seventies working in the north of england,hundreds of companies had blacklists of thousands of workers who had gone on strike, or had been union reps at some point.
    thats the sort of tactics the workers were up against, and it took years and years for this disgrace to be exposed.

remember my mate in MANCHESTER, (SPARKIE} could not get a job anywhere, even as far as the midlands, because he was on the blacklist.
    finally the union got him a job, in the boatyard in DUNDEE .IT got worse in the eighties when thatcher was prime minister, and the fight against the unions became political.
    the police were stopping cars on the motorways at random because four men were in the car and police thought they may be going to disputes for picket duty.
    people here will remember the TIMEX DISPUTE in Dundee.
    shaded is correct, people take for granted, shorter working weeks,sick pay. paid holidays, maternity leave, P.P.E. ETC.
    Many people had to make sacrifices to achieve these conditions of employment.

Quote Originally Posted by shaded View Post
    they have only become so by some member representatives crawling up white collar arses.
    the trick is to expel those rat representatives and to avoid the pendulum swinging too far from where it is now.

why would anyone say that hard fought gains of the past are an outdated concept is beyond me,
    i take it you said to your boss in the past,

nah its ok i dont want
    paid holidays
    proper health and safety
    proper working conditions
    proper pay

in my working life iv seen
    well paid employees selling specific holidays for a misery amount,holidays that our fathers and grandfathers took a long time to gain
    introducing temp workers
    the near disappearance of apprenticeships
    introducing 0 hour contracts
    a manager who was trying to telling a guy he couldn't go to the doctor as he had to finish his postie round

the unions have been ruined by the whats in it for me shiiit houses who are only in it for themselves
    the work place is hugely a safer place with unions than without them
    Spot on, we have people come in to our place on 24 hours contracts that pay more than their 40 hour on a zero hour contract, they will do anything asked of them, even if it’s against union policy, ie, using their own car for work purpose, they don’t accept the union and it’s members, has had to fight to get a better working environment, and decent wages that allow them to earn more for 24 hours than they were getting for 40 hours, these people are quick to take wage rises and bonuses though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudskipper View Post
    Joined a union about 30 years ago ,never again the rep was on the take...
    The union reps at my work seem to have a self absorbed importance about them...
    It usually goes something like this..

Employer...were offering 3% pay rise this year
    Union....nah we want 95% minimum we’re not shifting
    Employer...fair doos...
    10 months pass, receive e mail saying the union has secured a 3% pay rise..
    So I’ll say was that not the original offer...

Well aye but ,we’ve pissed them about for months...we’ll done mate your wasted here ever thought about being a UN negotiations officer...there is a place for unions and employers to get round the table but when either becomes too powerful it’s a pissing contest...

There are bad people and bad reps every where, best thing is to challenge them or stand against them at elections, it’s your entitlement if your paying into a union

I just heard Ian Duncan Smith on the radio saying the teachers unions should stop ‘messing about’ and get the teachers back to work nothing about any risks to teachers or bairns health just get back to work, having c@nts like him in government is surely enough to remind anyone how much we need union representation.

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post
    Near disappearance of apprenticeships?

You’ll have to explain that one.
    when i left school most of the mates went to apprenticeships some were sparkies/painters/mechanics/bakers/welders/engineering etc etc,apart from a few sparkies who usually get paid off when they get their ticket,i dont know any apprentices,and it will get lower now the michelin factory has shut,
    out of curiousity how many apprentices do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo_the_Bear View Post
    I just heard Ian Duncan Smith on the radio saying the teachers unions should stop ‘messing about’ and get the teachers back to work nothing about any risks to teachers or bairns health just get back to work, having c@nts like him in government is surely enough to remind anyone how much we need union representation.
    Last time I looked there was 12 deaths of people with Covid under the age of 19.....not of covid with Covid.

Teachers are only 2nd in the holy trinity of occupations because of the National Covid Service and they do fanny a boot......Some of the ****e taught in schools these days is beyond belief.

I wonder if teachers are going to B&Q, queuing at Kentucky, getting their mail and food delivered and still getting their bins emptied.

There jobs will still be there at the end of this, they know it, there union knows it but unfortunately the public can't see the woods for the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuntz View Post
    I think having someone in your corner surely can only be a good thing.?
    Yip there are as many Bad union Reps as poor bosses who don’t know how do deal with staff conflict situations., that said there very many good bosses out there and very conscientious Union Reps

In my opinion most the things In the workplace that we today take for granted were won by Unions on our behalf.

That the Tories would love to see the back of unions should be reason enough by itself to keep them.

By all means though have a modern Union approach reflecting the working environment today and not what it was 50 years ago
    Agree that some people need others looking out for them and I think that’s right and proper.
    Tories would have no union representation and that’s downright dangerous ,but they have to modernise also the reps I work with are bordering on militant at times.

HSAW 1974 is widely regarded as the most concise piece of legislation that we live by today ,it’s very well written by a trade unionist at the time that I think has only had one change in fifty years(dropped asbestos to a stand alone issue)it even covers the wee ****e stealing from your garden shed to make sure they don’t get hurt...!! remember when people used to put broken glass on top of walls to stop you climbing over..leaving yourself wide open today.

Interesting that Lord Robens became more a Tory in later life....🤔

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)