+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: OT. Schools...normality and Coronavirus.

Personally, it's been a long time since I was in a school environment, so I'm probably talking rubbish.

I can't understand why the year 1 children are coming back, surely they won't appreciate the importance of social distancing. However, I do believe that a carefully staged return should start ASAP, starting with the oldest primary school children first. Then depending on how this goes, gradually bringing in other children.

Obviously, different schools will have different challenges and must be allowed to work at their own pace.

Unfortunately, until we are all vaccinated, nothing will be 100% safe.

Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Personally, it's been a long time since I was in a school environment, so I'm probably talking rubbish.

I can't understand why the year 1 children are coming back, surely they won't appreciate the importance of social distancing. However, I do believe that a carefully staged return should start ASAP, starting with the oldest primary school children first. Then depending on how this goes, gradually bringing in other children.

Obviously, different schools will have different challenges and must be allowed to work at their own pace.

Unfortunately, until we are all vaccinated, nothing will be 100% safe.
    I’m not sure about the emphasis on the youngest children either, Ram and I agree with you about the Y6 kids. Two reasons for that...they deserve better than for their primary education to end so ignominiously in mid March, and they need some sort of transition to prepare them for a decent start to Secondary School in September (hopefully).

Speaking personally, as a grandparent and as a parent of a teacher, I have obvious concerns regarding their safety and the impact of the inevitable relaxing of social distancing rules on the safety of families and society as a whole.

Speaking professionally, as a former school governor and deputy headteacher, I honestly don’t know how the issue can be addressed satisfactorily. It is unthinkable that we can suddenly return to a situation where upwards of thirty individuals are all placed together in one classroom. To some extent that has been overcome by the recognition that class sizes will be (generally speaking) halved but that too will necessitate reduced time tables for at least some and, in any case, attendance for the rest of this academic year is to be voluntary leading to inevitable problems if and when full school attendance does resume.

Interestingly (perhaps) we have some friends and neighbours who have children at boarding school. They were sent home in mid March and there is no prospect of any return before September. They do however have a full timetable of online lessons each day which appear to be of a high standard. They are helped of course by being well motivated, well equipped kids with bright, committed parents. Suppose that’s also what you get when you pay approaching £10k per child per term.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I’ve asked another forum member to moderate their behaviour on the forum so now it’s your turn. Quote what you want off the internet, share your views but DON’T get personal. It’s p***ing people off so pack it off or Satan will be Skating over to the moderator control board and wielding the ban hammer
    Bit harsh. Been plenty of personal assaults on myself here Andy.
    I've never moaned once.
    But if that applies to all, I'm happy to accomodate.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Bit harsh. Been plenty of personal assaults on myself here Andy.
    I've never moaned once.
    But if that applies to all, I'm happy to accomodate.
    It does, and thanks

So back to the question hand.

Lockdown or not?

Both has consequences, so pick one.
    This is where the government cannot win. Damned if it does, damned if it doesn't.
    That's why for me, it has to go now.
    These are peoples lives have to move on. Rolls will be shedding around 8000 jobs very soon, the majority in Derby. That'll be at least 5 jobs per RR person effected as well. So 25000 jobs in Derby area alone from one company.

99% of us cannot live off a state hand out.
    This is/has costing a fortune we can ill afford. It also another reason we have to leg it from the EU asap as well, before we get dragged into their £2 trillion rescue plan.
    Sweden didn't lock down and have been no worse off.
    Practice common sense and no crowds and get on with it please.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    So back to the question hand.

Lockdown or not?

Both has consequences, so pick one.
    This is where the government cannot win. Damned if it does, damned if it doesn't.
    That's why for me, it has to go now.
    These are peoples lives have to move on. Rolls will be shedding around 8000 jobs very soon, the majority in Derby. That'll be at least 5 jobs per RR person effected as well. So 25000 jobs in Derby area alone from one company.

99% of us cannot live off a state hand out.
    This is/has costing a fortune we can ill afford. It also another reason we have to leg it from the EU asap as well, before we get dragged into their £2 trillion rescue plan.
    Sweden didn't lock down and have been no worse off.
    Practice common sense and no crowds and get on with it please.
    Its a twenty-dimensional chess game and no the government can't win

if the NHS and other GENUINELY non-discretionary industries was staffed by robots I'd say remove lockdown and let folk take their chances, and only lockdown again when the non-socialy-distanced sillybuggers have started to fill up the NHS, BUT the NHS aren't robots and its not fair on them to play russian roulette with their lives

Its a twenty-dimensional chess game and no the government can't win

if the NHS and other GENUINELY non-discretionary industries was staffed by robots I'd say remove lockdown and let folk take their chances, and only lockdown again when the non-socialy-distanced sillybuggers have started to fill up the NHS, BUT the NHS aren't robots and its not fair on them to play russian roulette with their lives
    Fair comment.
    But it isn't going away anyway, so they are in danger?
    We have this until it either-
    1. burns itself out
    2. a vaccine is available.

The one thing that has surprised me, is the fact that London has plummetted so much case wise.
    It is by far our most densly populated city, which most folks use public transport.
    So whats happening up norf that's mucking up the figures?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Interestingly (perhaps) we have some friends and neighbours who have children at boarding school. They were sent home in mid March and there is no prospect of any return before September. They do however have a full timetable of online lessons each day which appear to be of a high standard. They are helped of course by being well motivated, well equipped kids with bright, committed parents. Suppose that’s also what you get when you pay approaching £10k per child per term.
    You're right about independent schools, my schoolteacher friend says she has never worked so hard keeping her charges up to speed, with the added burden of having pushy parents reviewing her performance all the time because they are effectively in the classroom now

Believe me though rA the bright/less bright things works both ways, for every bright kid in a state school, there is a thick one in an independent school.

You're right about independent schools, my schoolteacher friend says she has never worked so hard keeping her charges up to speed, with the added burden of having pushy parents reviewing her performance all the time because they are effectively in the classroom now

Believe me though rA the bright/less bright things works both ways, for every bright kid in a state school, there is a thick one in an independent school.
    Of course, wasn’t suggesting otherwise...but the facilities which enable the online teaching to be so successful are less likely to be available - at both ‘ends’ - in the average Comprehensive, and while ‘pushy parents’ bring their own problems they’re a lot easier than disaffected and disinterested ones.

So where does this entitlement to anything begin or end?

I don't care if you school for free, or pay 10 k a term.
    Schooling is schooling. Where corona is concerned. Either all back, or none back.
    The masses will have their kids in Comps etc and need to get back to work.
    So, schools have to help do that, even if limited.

Whilst we are on about entitlement and what the "state" owes. Listen to this little gem of a darling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N92Xx0nsU7o

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)