+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: OT. Schools...normality and Coronavirus.

Dutch dentists have been back at work for about a month now. They wear face masks and either safety glasses or those full face perspex masks.

They, wisely, do not make the patients wear face masks

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Swale, in the interest of brevity and to avoid too much repetition I am recommending two things.

1) Schools should only return on a regional basis with dates for return agreed by those with regional knowledge regarding the existence of the virus locally and familiarity with the appropriateness of specific schools and classrooms.

2) Teachers, and pupils, should be equipped with masks and other basic items of PPE dependent on teaching situation.

I don’t think that is too much to ask.
    There is no ‘one size fits all’ solution for schools, just as there isn’t with other ‘public’ places, and there is far too much rumour and contradiction as regards some of the things you are passing off as facts in your anxiety to see a much wanted return to normal.
    So do you also agree that in those areas where COVID is still more dominant (Liverpool, Manchester etc) the summer term should extend into the 2 month summer break to give the kids that will go back later an equivalent deal?

Sure there may be some with holidays booked in, eg, North Wales who may be able to sustain that booking, but you've said before that the parents have ultimate decision to send or not send so that can be accommodated.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    So do you also agree that in those areas where COVID is still more dominant (Liverpool, Manchester etc) the summer term should extend into the 2 month summer break to give the kids that will go back later an equivalent deal?

Sure there may be some with holidays booked in, eg, North Wales who may be ablve to sustain that booking, but you've said before that the parents have ultimate decision to send or not send so that can be accommodated.
    No, can’t see how it will work, and before you suggest otherwise, I have absolutely no vested interest.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 24-05-2020 at 01:12 PM.

How about the idea of asking former teachers to come back into service to deal with the need for numbers due to halving of class sizes? Obviously being paid the difference between working pay and pension (if there is one)

Swale, in the interest of brevity and to avoid too much repetition I am recommending two things.

1) Schools should only return on a regional basis with dates for return agreed by those with regional knowledge regarding the existence of the virus locally and familiarity with the appropriateness of specific schools and classrooms.

2) Teachers, and pupils, should be equipped with masks and other basic items of PPE dependent on teaching situation.

I don’t think that is too much to ask.
    There is no ‘one size fits all’ solution for schools, just as there isn’t with other ‘public’ places, and there is far too much rumour and contradiction as regards some of the things you are passing off as facts in your anxiety to see a much wanted return to normal.
    You see what you did there, your making suggestions based on zero knowledge, much like the rest of the country! Not disagreeing about PPE, but surely thats guided by what works/is necessary? It is entirely possible and indeed Denmark and other countries have achieved this, to set standards which need to be applied, that can accommodate different locations.

But your missing the point of this debate - why is it that schools are the subject of much discussion and wailing from the teaching unions about returning, when a myriad other work places are jsut getting on with it and making the necessary amendments?

Because the teaching unions are playing on the worries of parents who misguidedly think their little darlings getting back to school is a high risk, when actually it isn't. It is perfectly possible as with other work places for emploers to sort out the necessary conditions to enable schools to reopen across the country. The regional issue surely is applicable to all the population in that area, so any changes restrictions etc. will apply across the board.

This feeds into the wider misconception that we are all at high risk of catching Covid-19 and we are all going to die! When that clearly isn't the case, as a look at the evidence and statistics will clearly tell you. I'm not sure why your so eager to follow your own fears, rather than make a judgement based on evidence.

I have no anxiety to things to return to normal, in fact personally It does not affect me, BUT as I have said repeatedly and you haven't provided a clear answer in any of your posts, the country cannot stay on lock down indefinitely, the cure is proving almost as fatal to some people as the virus - you conveniently ignore the thousands dying because of the current panic.

The fact is, the virus is going to be around for a long time and we wont have a vaccine, it seems to me that there is going to be no choice but to return to some sort of normality pretty quickly, the fact that some people fancy an extended holiday on 80% pay is neither here nor there, get implement the measures necessary as other countries have done and get moving, otherwise the futures of those in education and those in jobs is going to be grim and thats in addition to the thousands that have already lost their jobs.

It seems this basic premise hasn't been grasped by a lot of people who think the current situation can be maintained indefinitely.

I'm not basing this on rumour as you suggest, the statistics are there to be interpreted, the facts are that children aren't major spreaders or

How about the idea of asking former teachers to come back into service to deal with the need for numbers due to halving of class sizes? Obviously being paid the difference between working pay and pension (if there is one)
    Are you just on a wind up or what?
    a) There’s certainly a very considerable difference between my ‘working pay and pension’.
    b) Most former teachers are in the ‘at risk’ age group.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    You see what you did there, your making suggestions based on zero knowledge, much like the rest of the country! Not disagreeing about PPE, but surely thats guided by what works/is necessary? It is entirely possible and indeed Denmark and other countries have achieved this, to set standards which need to be applied, that can accommodate different locations.

But your missing the point of this debate - why is it that schools are the subject of much discussion and wailing from the teaching unions about returning, when a myriad other work places are jsut getting on with it and making the necessary amendments?

Because the teaching unions are playing on the worries of parents who misguidedly think their little darlings getting back to school is a high risk, when actually it isn't. It is perfectly possible as with other work places for emploers to sort out the necessary conditions to enable schools to reopen across the country. The regional issue surely is applicable to all the population in that area, so any changes restrictions etc. will apply across the board.

This feeds into the wider misconception that we are all at high risk of catching Covid-19 and we are all going to die! When that clearly isn't the case, as a look at the evidence and statistics will clearly tell you. I'm not sure why your so eager to follow your own fears, rather than make a judgement based on evidence.

I have no anxiety to things to return to normal, in fact personally It does not affect me, BUT as I have said repeatedly and you haven't provided a clear answer in any of your posts, the country cannot stay on lock down indefinitely, the cure is proving almost as fatal to some people as the virus - you conveniently ignore the thousands dying because of the current panic.

The fact is, the virus is going to be around for a long time and we wont have a vaccine, it seems to me that there is going to be no choice but to return to some sort of normality pretty quickly, the fact that some people fancy an extended holiday on 80% pay is neither here nor there, get implement the measures necessary as other countries have done and get moving, otherwise the futures of those in education and those in jobs is going to be grim and thats in addition to the thousands that have already lost their jobs.

It seems this basic premise hasn't been grasped by a lot of people who think the current situation can be maintained indefinitely.

I'm not basing this on rumour as you suggest, the statistics are there to be interpreted, the facts are that children aren't major spreaders or
    Sorry Swale...paragraph by paragraph.
    Why ‘zero knowledge’?
    Denmark hasn’t had an outbreak of Coronavirus anything like as bad as ours.
    Region by region because, for example, the situation in Cornwall or even much of London is now much less serious that that in the North East or Merseyside. What works for Cornwall may have serious consequences in Middlesbrough. It’s really not rocket science.

The schools are not ‘wailing’ they are pointing out the dangers and the Unions are doing what they should be doing.

The Unions aren’t playing on parents’ fears at all. Those fears have been established by the 36000 deaths and a quarter of a million cases.

I don’t think for one minute that we are all at risk of dying from Covid-19. I do however think the R# has been kept artificially low by the lockdown and I don’t think we should relax the measures everywhere too soon. It runs the risk of being counterproductive.

Of course you are anxious to see a return to normality. We all are, but you have banged on about it relentlessly and you said weeks ago that the impact of the virus on the economic situation was likely to have a bigger effect on you than the illness itself. That’s not a criticism btw, I understand your fears, but at least be honest.

‘The virus is going to be around for a long time and we won’t have a vaccine’. How do you know that? Have you suddenly acquired a new level of scientific knowledge...are you suddenly an expert in virology? No...you’re hypothesising, just as you are about children not being ‘spreaders’. You may be right...or there again...by which time it’ll be too late.

I don’t believe the current situation can be maintained indefinitely. Neither do I know anyone who does. I simply believe that we have to proceed with caution and learn from the experiences of others. Your opinion is just as valid as mine or the NAS/UWT, NAHT, BMA, etc, but the fact that you see the situation differently doesn’t make you right.

Are you just on a wind up or what?
    a) There’s certainly a very considerable difference between my ‘working pay and pension’.
    b) Most former teachers are in the ‘at risk’ age group.
    You spotted me 😂

You spotted me ��
    Light the blue touch paper, stand well back

Putting some factual flesh on the bones of what will be happening...I’ve just had a lengthy conversation with a Y6 teacher who will be returning to school on June 1st.
    She’s pleased to be doing so as it’s the beginning of a ‘return to normality’.
    Their are just under sixty Y6 pupils in the school and all the families were contacted last week to advise of their intentions re attendance.
    To date just six have answered...yes, definitely.
    13 have said...no, thanks...a number of whom are Asian and have elderly vulnerable relatives in the household.
    The rest, helpfully, haven’t answered yet.
    Despite Swales’ obviously well researched reassurances, the teachers will be equipped with a full face visor each and masks will be available for pupils to wear.
    There are two Y6 teachers and while one is teaching those pupils who are present, the other will be providing an online teaching facility for the absentees for which money has been made available to facilitate.

Interesting times!

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)