+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Club takes up option of extra year for Mowatt

Quote Originally Posted by bill46 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.I only said I was pleased that Mowett had signed the extended contract.I was a bit concerned what you put about administration .I take that now as your personal view and not something you had been told.
    My view on any football owners is that they don't want to make a loss.If you go back a few years back P.C signed players like Lita,Treacy and the like.The result was over the hill players on big wages who turned out to be poor deals financially and on the playing side.He then fetched in buying younger players who would have a resale so the club could progress.Now looking at the league table we can all argue that because the owners have carried on P.C brain child we find our selves at the bottom of the Championship and theres no doubting some of the transfer policy hasn't work.For any club the way to make money is to try and find a formula that will bring success.At the moment we haven't achieved that but theres no way on Gods earth the owners have made a round coin yet.I understand peoples scepticism on owners that are not from the Uk and are here to make a fortune but they can only achieve that with long term success,you don't get paid for failure.
    Personally I don't think the owners will bale out but that's just my opinion.
    If when we get back to normal football ie playing in grounds with crowds etc and the owners are still here would accept that your views were wrong.If they walk away I will give the biggest apology ever and supply free beers to the members of Tykesmad.
    Well that's where you and I differ when you say " when we get back to normal "

Personally I don't envisage that happening within the EFL .

For several years now clubs have chanced their arm and have become up to their nacker in debt and I feel this pandemic will be the reason it finally goes over the cliff .

Once the transfer market collapses within the EFL we don't have anybody to buy our players from us , generally speaking our top talent that is sold is generally sold to Championship clubs .

The saleable talent within the squad at present would only go to Championship clubs , it's difficult to make a case for anyone who is good enough for the PL .

I'm not suggesting the owner's have had a profit out of the club at this moment in time but with what's coming down the road economically it will be a case of dumping the toxic stock and clearing off before they do get severely burned .

The reality is the clubs model no longer exists without a transfer market to operate in .

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Prophet of doom. Too much time on his hands. Watering those geraniums has gone to his head.
    Steve , some of us are old enough to have lived through tough economic times and how that plays out at Oakwell .

In 1982 we averaged just over 15k for second division football , by 1984 it was down to 5k because of the effects of the miners strike on the club .

Bear in mind too that football at that time was still a relatively cheap afternoon out .

Unlike today .

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    I have to agree with Animal. When the brown stuff hits the fan the club will be closed, run down, or priced out of the market so that it goes bankrupt. The owners will have already got their original investment back, and more. No evidence from me...These type of people won’t have any qualms about shutting it down, and as seen at Bury, the eEFL just won’t care.
    The glimmer of light Jules is that James Cryne still holds a 20% stake and is a big fan of the club .

If James has the financial means and will it maybe possible that he could purchase from the existing owners an extra 31% giving him 51% .

It would then be a case of attracting other investors to purchase the remaining 49% .

No easy task but not impossible either .

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    I've got a lovely bunch of cocunuts...
    Thas got two just like the rest of us
    [how ***ist is that?]

Assuming that the consortium took out a £20million loan to purchase the club then I'd suggest that the likelihood of having paid off even the interest on that loan over the last 30 months is remote. How would they be able to walk away from that with their other business investments intact or unscathed if BFC went to the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Assuming that the consortium took out a £20million loan to purchase the club then I'd suggest that the likelihood of having paid off even the interest on that loan over the last 30 months is remote. How would they be able to walk away from that with their other business investments intact or unscathed if BFC went to the wall?
    I don't think they paid £20m Pass although that's the number that was rumoured at the time .

It appears from what I've read on bbs and again its open to debate the figure was probably half that .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Well that's where you and I differ when you say " when we get back to normal "

Personally I don't envisage that happening within the EFL .

For several years now clubs have chanced their arm and have become up to their nacker in debt and I feel this pandemic will be the reason it finally goes over the cliff .

Once the transfer market collapses within the EFL we don't have anybody to buy our players from us , generally speaking our top talent that is sold is generally sold to Championship clubs .

The saleable talent within the squad at present would only go to Championship clubs , it's difficult to make a case for anyone who is good enough for the PL .

I'm not suggesting the owner's have had a profit out of the club at this moment in time but with what's coming down the road economically it will be a case of dumping the toxic stock and clearing off before they do get severely burned .

The reality is the clubs model no longer exists without a transfer market to operate in .
    I agree about the normal bit I don't know what normal is anymore.As for the finances as far as I know we had no debt but obviously due to the virus and no income streams the money used for the running of the club will be eaten into.I fear more for other clubs who were in massive debt and this situation have left them teetering on the edge.
    On the clubs model part I don't know of many clubs that don't sell to keep the wheels turning.The transfer market as always lept our club afloat and even paid for the ground changes at Oakwell. Lets hope we come out of this lean spell with our heads above water.The clubs who have gambled by trying to cheat there way to the Premiership are the ones on a cliff edge.

Quote Originally Posted by bill46 View Post
    I agree about the normal bit I don't know what normal is anymore.As for the finances as far as I know we had no debt but obviously due to the virus and no income streams the money used for the running of the club will be eaten into.I fear more for other clubs who were in massive debt and this situation have left them teetering on the edge.
    On the clubs model part I don't know of many clubs that don't sell to keep the wheels turning.The transfer market as always lept our club afloat and even paid for the ground changes at Oakwell. Lets hope we come out of this lean spell with our heads above water.The clubs who have gambled by trying to cheat there way to the Premiership are the ones on a cliff edge.
    The worry is the money we still owe to other clubs from last summers recruitment and the valuation of our own top talent significantly nose diving .

At this moment in time as you say we have absolutely no revenue coming in at all but still have the costs to bear .

The club is heavily reliant on doing substantial business in the transfer market to remain debt free and operational .

The collapse of the transfer market would have the same impact at Oakwell as Derby County , Nottingham Forest and WBA surviving on gates of 8k but with the same overheads as today .

We are far more vulnerable with this model as things stand right now because the ownership haven't shown any enthusiasm for providing capital from their own funds .

It will remain to be seen how much the owners of other clubs are prepared to fill in the financial holes but we seem to know the answer to that on Grove Street , thus far .

That's what is most concerning right now , the commitment of the ownership in the toughest of financial times .

I'm not convinced they have the stomach for this kind of commitment because the emotional attachment you need in troubled times such as these just doesn't exist other than James Cryne's 20% stake .

I'm not convinced they have the stomach for this kind of commitment because the emotional attachment you need in troubled times such as these just doesn't exist other than James Cryne's 20% stake . [/quote]

Not living in Barnsley I may be light on BFC news but I cannot see any evidence of James ever saying owt let alone his stake of 20% being owt other than a meal ticket & a handsome one at that
    Can anyone point to anything JC has done in the last 3 years which would improve my faith

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    I'm not convinced they have the stomach for this kind of commitment because the emotional attachment you need in troubled times such as these just doesn't exist other than James Cryne's 20% stake .
    Not living in Barnsley I may be light on BFC news but I cannot see any evidence of James ever saying owt let alone his stake of 20% being owt other than a meal ticket & a handsome one at that
    Can anyone point to anything JC has done in the last 3 years which would improve my faith[/QUOTE]

There isn't Exile other than he's a fan and goes to every game home and away .

Unfortunately that's as good as it gets I'm afraid but at least it's a link .

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast