+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's official - Motherwell finish third

Yeah when you look at it like that then I think that supports my view that it was 'good but not great'. How many times did Aberdeen slip up when they had the chance to leapfrog us? But as said, that wasn't our problem.

In previous seasons where we've finished high up in the table we have had at least one good run and/or a few big wins to point to and 'define' the campaign by. Also those campaigns were played to a finish whereas 19/20 wasn't able to be completed so it's natural to take more satisfaction from finishing where we finished having played a full season rather than be awarded a final placing from a season that essentially had to be abandoned due to a deadly virus sweeping the globe.

Quote Originally Posted by jwok View Post
    I'm delighted for everyone at Fir Park that we managed to finish third but there's no doubt that we got a hand from the inability of the chasers to put up a decent run. Since the break we have played nine league games (WDLLLDLWD) and stuttered along. Still, it's hardly our fault that nobody could catch us.
    Agreed jwok. And, as for some other contributors; so far as I recall, at the season's start we were either 'relegation fodder', or, at best we'd finish 10th. Given the circumstances, any chance some credit can be given - even grudgingly? As someone once said ... 'Jeezuz wept!'

Comparing this team to previous ones is akin to comparing the iPhone 10 to the auld Nokia brick - pretty pointless IMHO.

IMO even the most diehard fan amongst us would not have predicted at the start of the season that we could finish third. Yes other teams helped us by failing to take their opportunities to overtake us, but how many times in the past have we played really well through out a season and not got what we maybe deserved so congratulations to the manager, backroom staff, players and everyone else connected to the club for the season’s efforts

Quote Originally Posted by texaco cup View Post
    IMO even the most diehard fan amongst us would not have predicted at the start of the season that we could finish third. Yes other teams helped us by failing to take their opportunities to overtake us, but how many times in the past have we played really well through out a season and not got what we maybe deserved so congratulations to the manager, backroom staff, players and everyone else connected to the club for the season’s efforts
    Definitely! I started the season wondering who was going to score for us, so I'm absolutely delighted with third - and this despite injuries to, and the loss of, several influential players. We, like the rest of the Scottish teams, depend on our players remaining on good form, rather than on class. Enough of our guys were on form for enough of the time, the team played to its shape most of the time, and I went to games, home or away, feeling that there was no reason why we shouldn't get a point or three. There's plenty of huffing and puffing about budgets and all the rest of it, but, as Dalglish said when Blackburn won the league, 'wan thing we huv goat is points'.
    We got the points; several other teams with, sometimes, inflated senses of entitlement among their support, didnae. We deserve our place.

Quote Originally Posted by dazlhigh View Post
    Definitely! I started the season wondering who was going to score for us, so I'm absolutely delighted with third - and this despite injuries to, and the loss of, several influential players. We, like the rest of the Scottish teams, depend on our players remaining on good form, rather than on class. Enough of our guys were on form for enough of the time, the team played to its shape most of the time, and I went to games, home or away, feeling that there was no reason why we shouldn't get a point or three. There's plenty of huffing and puffing about budgets and all the rest of it, but, as Dalglish said when Blackburn won the league, 'wan thing we huv goat is points'.
    We got the points; several other teams with, sometimes, inflated senses of entitlement among their support, didnae. We deserve our place.
    We do indeed deserve our place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)