+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: resurgence of trade unions?

resurgence of trade unions?

will happen quite quickly if the govt continue on their path with teachers and transport networks,i can see major unrest ahead,ie you can teach x amount of kids but not see your grand children.

id gladly 100% welcome the return of the protection for workers health and safety and proper 35/40hrs contracts not 0hr shiiit contracts.

many many things need implemented properly to avoid swinging too far the other way,and id start with removing some hopeless reps who are only in it for themselves in true spfl fashion.

royal mail were one of the front runners years ago with silly small weekly hour contracts,when i was there a guy on a 7hr weekly contract (i think) was working more hrs than me)and i was full time.and most other places jumped on the bandwagon.

id also introduce a proper apprentice scheme the way it was in the 70/80's to any firm that could take one on and be properly renumerated for their efforts

governments have been picking away at the trade unions for years, especially the tories.
    everything we fought for in the sixties and seventies is been eroded, thank goodness the labour party introduced ,
    THE 1974 HEALTH AND SAFETY AT WORK ACT, or it would be worse
    people are getting the piss taking out of them, with zero hour contracts etc, companies using agencies to dump people when it suits them,
    or when they are due holiday pay.
    friend of mine had a temporary job in Amazon, never got his breaks when he should have, said he felt like a battery hen, horrible company.
    people wont fight for their rights now, as many are up to their necks in debt. They have everything, but own nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by shaded View Post
    will happen quite quickly if the govt continue on their path with teachers and transport networks,i can see major unrest ahead,ie you can teach x amount of kids but not see your grand children.

id gladly 100% welcome the return of the protection for workers health and safety and proper 35/40hrs contracts not 0hr shiiit contracts.

many many things need implemented properly to avoid swinging too far the other way,and id start with removing some hopeless reps who are only in it for themselves in true spfl fashion.

royal mail were one of the front runners years ago with silly small weekly hour contracts,when i was there a guy on a 7hr weekly contract (i think) was working more hrs than me)and i was full time.and most other places jumped on the bandwagon.

id also introduce a proper apprentice scheme the way it was in the 70/80's to any firm that could take one on and be properly renumerated for their efforts
    Unfortunately it’s getting harder and harder to get people to join a union, most do so when they need a bit help, plenty are willing to take the benefits that are won for them though, many companies are happy to hand out contracts like 18 hours and pay 30 hours overtime, as come holiday time they only pay 18 hours, union fighting through the courts against this, but these are mainly for he people who don’t join the union

The perfect trade union has a membership of 1.

Unions are an outdated concept. Collective bargaining restricts individual development.

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Unions are an outdated concept. Collective bargaining restricts individual development.

Discuss.
    Some people need representation good representation not political or defence of the corrupt or incompetent but I've always represented myself, nobody to blame but yourself then if it goes tits up.

Never been in a union, two staff associations, 1 good 1 ****e.

That's a lie actually was in the civil service union, was in it 6 months, I swear it took 2 mins to join and about 15 weeks to extract myself from its tangled web.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post

Discuss.
    they have only become so by some member representatives crawling up white collar arses.
    the trick is to expel those rat representatives and to avoid the pendulum swinging too far from where it is now.

why would anyone say that hard fought gains of the past are an outdated concept is beyond me,
    i take it you said to your boss in the past,

nah its ok i dont want
    paid holidays
    proper health and safety
    proper working conditions
    proper pay

in my working life iv seen
    well paid employees selling specific holidays for a misery amount,holidays that our fathers and grandfathers took a long time to gain
    introducing temp workers
    the near disappearance of apprenticeships
    introducing 0 hour contracts
    a manager who was trying to telling a guy he couldn't go to the doctor as he had to finish his postie round

the unions have been ruined by the whats in it for me shiiit houses who are only in it for themselves
    the work place is hugely a safer place with unions than without them
    Last edited by shaded; 17-05-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Joined a union about 30 years ago ,never again the rep was on the take...
    The union reps at my work seem to have a self absorbed importance about them...
    It usually goes something like this..

Employer...were offering 3% pay rise this year
    Union....nah we want 95% minimum we’re not shifting
    Employer...fair doos...
    10 months pass, receive e mail saying the union has secured a 3% pay rise..
    So I’ll say was that not the original offer...

Well aye but ,we’ve pissed them about for months...we’ll done mate your wasted here ever thought about being a UN negotiations officer...there is a place for unions and employers to get round the table but when either becomes too powerful it’s a pissing contest...

Quote Originally Posted by shaded View Post
    they have only become so by some member representatives crawling up white collar arses.
    the trick is to expel those rat representatives and to avoid the pendulum swinging too far from where it is now.

why would anyone say that hard fought gains of the past are an outdated concept is beyond me,
    i take it you said to your boss in the past,

nah its ok i dont want
    paid holidays
    proper health and safety
    proper working conditions
    proper pay

in my working life iv seen
    well paid employees selling specific holidays for a misery amount,holidays that our fathers and grandfathers took a long time to gain
    introducing temp workers
    the near disappearance of apprenticeships
    introducing 0 hour contracts
    a manager who was trying to telling a guy he couldn't go to the doctor as he had to finish his postie round

the unions have been ruined by the whats in it for me shiiit houses who are only in it for themselves
    the work place is hugely a safer place with unions than without them
    Near disappearance of apprenticeships?

You’ll have to explain that one.

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post
    Near disappearance of apprenticeships?

You’ll have to explain that one.
    Never got that one either especially in the last 20 years,I have a few mates with their own businesses and have had plenty of support for apprenticeships where it’s actually cost negative ,the hard part is getting through to a 16 year old that you can’t come in late because you’ve fallen out with your girlfriend or you were online all night playing Call of Duty with Bubba from LA....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)