+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Season tickets and match sales

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMike View Post
    That's my view too in terms of supporting Notts, but I'm annoyed at the stance of the National League, and now League 2, cancelling their seasons. That isn't looking after the interests of fans. I know a new season may not be able to start on schedule, but surely playing the remaining games makes sense. Especially financial sense if they can wait until allowed to play in front of fans. End of season games, and especially playoffs are a big potential revenue earner for those involved. I know playing behind closed doors is a loss maker, but then they should wait until its safe to play in front of fans. No point in starting a new season without fans anyway.
    We share similar views as this has always been my view as well .

Those remaining home games are lost revenue for all clubs and are gone forever by cancelling the season. Likewise it’s the same for the playoffs if they fall to a similar fate.

I do feel that the National League were very quick to cancel the season. It does not seem logical to me to cancel a season that is 80% complete in favour of trying to start a new season that may have disruption and has no guarantee of starting in August.

I’ve wrote about this in length in other threads and the fact that players contracts come to and end at the end of June shouldn’t be the driving force either. If that means teams having different players when the season resumed then this would be no different to having another January transfer window. It didn’t save us from relegation when we more or less brought a new team in January last season.

All they needed to do was suspend the league and mothball clubs for a minimum period of say six months which would have took us to October. Then they could have reviewed it then and only resume until such time it was safe to play in open air stadiums with fans in attendance.

It would have offered some clarity for clubs but instead we have all this mess as to what to do about league placings, trying to decide leagues on paper, issues with who gets promoted and relegated throughout the leagues. It’s going to need tough and strong leadership now that path has been taken because whatever happens all clubs will not be happy as it will not be a normal conclusion if the outcome is determined on paper and not played on grass.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 21-05-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BudBundy View Post
    I personally think this is up to each individual as everyone has their own financial circumstances to worry about at this moment in time and should not be judged on what they decide to do.
    I know you're just trying to be diplomatic and understanding, but tbh anyone who is in such dire financial straits as to need to claim money back on a season ticket that has only three games remaining on it is in very serious trouble indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    I know you're just trying to be diplomatic and understanding, but tbh anyone who is in such dire financial straits as to need to claim money back on a season ticket that has only three games remaining on it is in very serious trouble indeed.
    There people in that situation now though.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I would imagine finances at the club are pretty tight at the moment and anyone wanting refunds will certainly add to those woes. Obviously you are not a true supporter, otherwise you wouldn't be making such comments...

We won't be asking for ours back either, but I think its a fair question to ask. The OP was not making out that he wanted a refund, but asking the question - one in which I would also like to know.

We are (or will be) getting refunds from cancelled gigs if they do not get re-arranged, and this is their livelihood too. I totally get that its different in that ticketmaster also take a big cut of a gig ticket, but to some, being a fan of a band equals (if not surpasses) being a fan of a football team, although we don't see it like that. For instance, would you say I am not a fan of a particular band, just because I took the ticket refund?

As I say, for me, it is different as I see football as my passion, so, no I wont be claiming any refund, or if offered, will try pump it back into the club if given an option, as a world without Notts will be a dark place indeed. I've already purchased in advance next years kit, and trying to support the club how I can, but its a fair question to ask, and interesting input regarding Partick Thistle.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBoots View Post
    We won't be asking for ours back either, but I think its a fair question to ask. The OP was not making out that he wanted a refund, but asking the question - one in which I would also like to know.

We are (or will be) getting refunds from cancelled gigs if they do not get re-arranged, and this is their livelihood too. I totally get that its different in that ticketmaster also take a big cut of a gig ticket, but to some, being a fan of a band equals (if not surpasses) being a fan of a football team, although we don't see it like that. For instance, would you say I am not a fan of a particular band, just because I took the ticket refund?
    Interesting. The only refund I am claiming as a result of coronavirus is from Ryanair due to cancelled flights. Even though I am a very regular customer with Ryanair, I feel no emotional attachment to them at all so have no hesitation in asking for a full refund. It's different where Notts are concerned however. Last season I renewed my season ticket early knowing there was a strong chance we would be relegated. When we were, season ticket prices were lowered meaning I was eligible to get few quid back. I didn't claim it, just like I wouldn't claim a refund if it was offered for the three games I've missed. I wouldn't berate anyone who did claim it though, because they might need it more than the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Interesting. The only refund I am claiming as a result of coronavirus is from Ryanair due to cancelled flights. Even though I am a very regular customer with Ryanair, I feel no emotional attachment to them at all so have no hesitation in asking for a full refund. It's different where Notts are concerned however. Last season I renewed my season ticket early knowing there was a strong chance we would be relegated. When we were, season ticket prices were lowered meaning I was eligible to get few quid back. I didn't claim it, just like I wouldn't claim a refund if it was offered for the three games I've missed. I wouldn't berate anyone who did claim it though, because they might need it more than the club.
    Adding to the debate - as this is an interesting post and opens up some other questions.

Imagine the Premiership also decide to kill the season. I know they say they will complete, but already we have seen other top flight leagues truncate the season (i.e. in Belgium, Scotland, France etc).

Now, a premiership ticket costs a pretty penny, so, if you are a fan of Man City/Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool/Man Utd then do you think you would vilified in taking a refund. I think if this was a discussion on one of those boards the majority of us would would be asking "when" and "how" we get our refund rather than "if".

Now I know you are all saying, no you would not, but please...remember when we were the richest club in the world in the Munto years, and had it come to fruition, we could well have been up there with season tickets prices costing 1000’s not hundreds. Can you honestly say you would be saying, “nah … keep the money, you need it more than me”.

So the point is, there is a disconnect.

No club should not be responsible for this. Again I am not saying I want a refund at all, but, what is eating at me is that if I supported a “rich” club I would be possibly entitled to get a refund, but because I support a lower league club - then its not going to happen.

Basically season ticket holders have not received a service promised, and so a refund should be issued by the governing bodies who decided to kill the season, not the clubs themselves. I doubt this was ever considered in any decision to terminate the league.

Going back to the example of the premiership terminating early, would it sit right if Man City issued refunds - as they can afford it - but Norwich did not. We all watch the same game and we are "in it together".

I feel sorry for the whole of the sport and leisure industry at the moment. I can't imagine any fan would ask for a refund, they've already had enough matches to have made it pay.
    I'm hoping the government are going to wake up and tell us that we're getting back to normal at an increasing pace so that clubs can sell season tickets for next season with the full expectation of a late August kick off.
    I'm hoping they'll be blunt and admit they can't guarantee our safety but tell us that as adults we get to make an informed choice whether we sit in a crowd of not.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    I feel sorry for the whole of the sport and leisure industry at the moment. I can't imagine any fan would ask for a refund, they've already had enough matches to have made it pay.
    I'm hoping the government are going to wake up and tell us that we're getting back to normal at an increasing pace so that clubs can sell season tickets for next season with the full expectation of a late August kick off.
    I'm hoping they'll be blunt and admit they can't guarantee our safety but tell us that as adults we get to make an informed choice whether we sit in a crowd of not.
    This will rumble on for a long time ... how the season should finish ... when the next one starts etc.

I cannot see any way that the Government will just say you are adults, do what you want, and I hope they don't. We need strong leadership and a clear, informed way forward. Not saying we have that but we need it. Let's be honest, if they did and there was a massive second wave, the NHS was swamped as it could be the blame would be put on the Government immediately, the adults who made the choice would not take any responsibility.

I want things back to normal but this has to be balanced with taking into account the likelihood of different outcomes depending on how quickly we lift restrictions.

You also need to remember that Notts have a responsibility towards staff, gate people, stewards, first-aiders etc.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    This will rumble on for a long time ... how the season should finish ... when the next one starts etc.

I cannot see any way that the Government will just say you are adults, do what you want, and I hope they don't. We need strong leadership and a clear, informed way forward. Not saying we have that but we need it. Let's be honest, if they did and there was a massive second wave, the NHS was swamped as it could be the blame would be put on the Government immediately, the adults who made the choice would not take any responsibility.

I want things back to normal but this has to be balanced with taking into account the likelihood of different outcomes depending on how quickly we lift restrictions.

You also need to remember that Notts have a responsibility towards staff, gate people, stewards, first-aiders etc.
    For once I agree with you. If the government asked us to behave like adults and we failed ( which we would ), the government would take the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post

Completely agree with this and I think this is why we are where we are. I don't think the government would have any problem with people taking risks as individuals and potentially paying the price, I think they're worried about what happens to society as a whole if the virus is allowed to spread.

Regarding fans and Notts matches, probably the best idea I've heard so far is to put games on IFollow. This virus will rumble on for a while but not forever, and I think a few months of playing BCD with fans paying £10 a game is feasible to tide clubs over until a vaccine or cure is available.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast